Public drinking water fountains in Ireland.

realistic1

There has recently been calls for banning of plastic bottles and schemes for refunds on returns of bottles. If these schemes are enacted, it should be done with the introduction of public drinking water fountains around the State. I have yet to hear any advocate for these schemes mention a similar concept. Why is there no Public drinking fountains in this State? It would help in the reduction of bottled water sales.

The Green Party wants to give you 10c back for each plastic bottle and can you recycle

Good article on how the ban on plastic bottle sales have worked in San Francisco.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/28/how-san-francisco-is-leading-the-way-out-of-bottled-water-culture

Edo

Because - like everything in this state - some fecker will find a way to claim compensation for something like..........blaming drinking from a public fountain for the reason he had a sh^t leaving cert.........and the fee hungry legal system will go along with the nonsense ....insurance rates will go through the roof and then councils will remove the facilities....................

once you know how this great little country works.................

Hunter-Gatherer

Something is seriously wrong when my local shop is selling bottled mineral water from Turkey. A desert of a country. As cheap as those bottles from Ireland, where the rain is abundant.

utter madness. The carbon footprint of shifting this low-value commodity a few thousand miles is bonkers.....

okibb

All the council pumps around here were either disabled or removed when Irish Water came on the scene, including the one from 1915 associated with my cottage- it disappeared overnight and was replaced by a blanking plate. We sank a well when we bought the cottage, so never had to use it, but it was an attractive piece of architecture and was working until removed.

Any public fountains I have looked at since around the country have been disabled, some very crudely with material such as concrete.

realistic1

Something is seriously wrong when my local shop is selling bottled mineral water from Turkey. A desert of a country. As cheap as those bottles from Ireland, where the rain is abundant.

utter madness. The carbon footprint of shifting this low-value commodity a few thousand miles is bonkers.....
Have the Green party ever pointed out the above sort of issue?? It is ridiculous that the above occurs.

Edo

All the council pumps around here were either disabled or removed when Irish Water came on the scene, including the one from 1915 associated with my cottage- it disappeared overnight and was replaced by a blanking plate. We sank a well when we bought the cottage, so never had to use it, but it was an attractive piece of architecture and was working until removed.

Any public fountains I have looked at since around the country have been disabled, some very crudely with material such as concrete.
the rural pumps were being boarded up decades before Irish Water came into being - both the pumps about half a mile either direction from the house where I grew up in rural CountY Carlow were closed up at the end of the 1980s - most have disappeared completely

Blame piped drinking water into every house for their decline - not Irish Water.....Councils around the country took advantage of this lack of demand to switch resources elsewhere - also the fact that some of the wells were inflitrated by agri-run off and the rest, and the litigation for other things - ensured that local authorities blocked them up as quickly as they could.

TheField

The rural standing water pumps have also been disappearing as 'scrap metal' merchants come across them and regardless of local heritage aspects - rob them for their metal content or to sell onto Dubliners and the like for their gardens..

Trainwreck

There has recently been calls for banning of plastic bottles and schemes for refunds on returns of bottles. If these schemes are enacted, it should be done with the introduction of public drinking water fountains around the State. I have yet to hear any advocate for these schemes mention a similar concept. Why is there no Public drinking fountains in this State? It would help in the reduction of bottled water sales.

The Green Party wants to give you 10c back for each plastic bottle and can you recycle

Good article on how the ban on plastic bottle sales have worked in San Francisco.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/28/how-san-francisco-is-leading-the-way-out-of-bottled-water-culture
Fúck off Greens.

realistic1

It suits the bottle water companies to have no public water fountains. Instead of people using these, they walk into a shop anf purchase a bottle of water.

Spanner Island

We're a high cost economy.

Rain doesn't fill the bottles itself...

It has to be extracted from the ground and processed and bottled etc... and so there's your costs right there...

Turks obviously work for less.

Henry94.

I think a prohibitive tax on plastic bottles would be easier than a refund system. It worked for plastic bags so why not bottles. Say a euro a bottle to start with.

Watcher2

I reckon it's because of Ballyhowan. Seriously.

okibb

the rural pumps were being boarded up decades before Irish Water came into being - both the pumps about half a mile either direction from the house where I grew up in rural CountY Carlow were closed up at the end of the 1980s - most have disappeared completely

Blame piped drinking water into every house for their decline - not Irish Water.....Councils around the country took advantage of this lack of demand to switch resources elsewhere - also the fact that some of the wells were inflitrated by agri-run off and the rest, and the litigation for other things - ensured that local authorities blocked them up as quickly as they could.
I can only speak for the pumps that I am familiar with, about 6 in all and their removal coincidental with the introduction of IW. I agree that they have become non-essential, but I was always comforted by the nearby water source if my pump ever went on the blink. (It's amazing how you can learn about water lift pumps so quickly when the water stops, btw).

And I am aware of scrap merchants taking advantage of the pumps as garden ornaments etc., my own case involves a metal blanking plate bolted on to the dais, so probably more likely an official job IMHO.

Lúidín

The purpose of the state is to support 'enterprise', that is, selling stuff to 'consumers' and making Ireland a shopkeeper paradise. That's why every public utility must be privatised and 'marketed' and any state regulation in the great scheme of making Ireland a great little shopping mall can only be for the benefit of the retailer at the expense of customer.

The energy of FGFFLB is directed to squeezing the common people for every once of profit with charges, taxes, levies, licences. These are the parties of the fumblers in the greasy till, as Mr Yeats put it, and are not interested in public ventures for the benefit of the citizens.

cricket

Had a relative living just outside Cork city and their pump was shut down in the early 60's, about 3 or 4 within 5 miles had all been shut off by the late 60's.
At least one of them fell foul of the scrap merchants.

realistic1

Had a relative living just outside Cork city and their pump was shut down in the early 60's, about 3 or 4 within 5 miles had all been shut off by the late 60's.
At least one of them fell foul of the scrap merchants.
I am really taking about just a basic drinking water fountain. There used to be one in the Peoples park in Limerick up until the 1980s. The public should not be forced to purchase water when they are thirsty, they were not in the past.

Last edited:

Hunter-Gatherer

We're a high cost economy.

Rain doesn't fill the bottles itself...

It has to be extracted from the ground and processed and bottled etc... and so there's your costs right there...

Turks obviously work for less.
and i heard a rumour that they do not drink.

cricket

I am rally taking about just a basic drinking water fountain. There used to be one in the peoples park in Limerick up until the 1980s. The public should not be forced to purchase water when they are thirsty, they were not in the past.
Sorry, misunderstood, we had one in the yard at secondary school. Got shut down for health reasons, seem to remember water was quite brown.

realistic1

Sorry, misunderstood, we had one in the yard at secondary school. Got shut down for health reasons, seem to remember water was quite brown.
There should be plenty of drinking water fountains and I cannot understand why the advocates for banning plastic bottles do not support or mention this.

Odyessus

Where does it say how it has worked?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies