• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Public Safety ?

Cruimh

2007 - convicted of a string of serious offences including raping a 15 year old girl, given 8 years, out in 2009 - and despite misbehaving he's free to attempt to break into a house, try to steal a car and breach a Sexual Offences Prevention Order. He gets 2 years and he'll be out "on license" in no time. He should be doing serious time.

Belfast rapist jailed for two years for 'break in' bid

Ó Donnchadha

Here is how you resolve that issue.

Ó Donnchadha

garmc

scum thats what they are they should be locked up for a minimum of 25 years and made work in prison for money to pay for any help counciling and mdeication for that person they raped might need . And if they rape again they should have his knob cut off and a sex change so they will never do it again

johndodger

The problem with our justice system and I suspect the UK also is that it is far too lenient (very short sentences, concurrent sentencing, very little deterrent, unconditional parole, early release etc). The US has the right idea (except for the death penalty which I don't agree with).

. And if they rape again they should have his knob cut off and a sex change so they will never do it again
If they "cut his knob off" the offender will use a foreign object to rape his victim. It's not about sex. Its about power and violence. And why you would think that a male rapist should be turned into a woman is beyond me.

However, I understand your sentiments exactly. Three strikes and these bastards should be locked up for life.

Ingersoll

The problem with our justice system and I suspect the UK also is that it is far too lenient (very short sentences, concurrent sentencing, very little deterrent, unconditional parole, early release etc). The US has the right idea (except for the death penalty which I don't agree with).
'The us has the right idea' - you must be joking, the highest population of inmates in the free world and the highest crime-rates to match - clearly locking people in not much of a deterrent and does nothing to stop crime. It only costs money, and in the case of the US makes private companies very rich.

johndodger

'The us has the right idea' - you must be joking, the highest population of inmates in the free world and the highest crime-rates to match - clearly locking people in not much of a deterrent and does nothing to stop crime. It only costs money, and in the case of the US makes private companies very rich.
What's your answer. Tell then not to do it again and send them off on holiday because they're misunderstood?

They can't harm anyone while they're locked up. All criminals at risk of reoffending should not be released. Prisons don't have to cost as much as they do. In my view convicted criminals should have to pay for their room and board. Why not allow them to work and earn money for this, and perhaps gain a skink/trade? Keep prisons for serious crime only (not those who haven't paid their TV licence) and use other methods for minor crime.

Holy Hand Grenade

Not sure how much publicity his original crime received in the ROI - but this is the low life that, having raped the 15 year old girl , used her mobile to phone her mother and taunt her about what he had done to her child.

He should never be out again IMO.
What an utter creep.

You're right, he should never be released again.

oboe

It was reported that as part of his licence conditions upon release that he has to abstain from alcohol and drugs. That's tough and I doubt if he will be able to abide by this condition. He'll be spending a long time in and out of jail.
Utterly despicable oxygen thief

garmc

now thats a real scumbag to ring the mother and say what he had done he should be locked up for life and only get out in a body bag and put in a unmarked grave because any body who does that doesn't even deserve a funeral or a plot in a graveyard just put in a hole in the ground in the middle of a feild some where .

Old Mr Grouser

It was reported that as part of his licence conditions upon release that he has to abstain from alcohol and drugs. That's tough and I doubt if he will be able to abide by this condition. He'll be spending a long time in and out of jail.
Utterly despicable oxygen thief
That he will. And every time he's out it will be another tragedy.

What's needed is some US-style justice - Indeterminate Sentences, say 'four to forty years'.

Yes, it does cost money to keep these people in prison; but what of the costs involved in repeat-offending, and the enormous cost of bringing someone before the courts for a major trial every few years.

And prison costs in Ireland are too high. They could be reduced. There should be a big long-stay prison, similar to Dartmoor, up in Donegal.

tiocfaidh

a long time in and out of jail
And that's the shame of it - the in and out. 2 years for this, 6 months for that, 3 years for this. And in 40 years he'll have left a long string of victims behind - rape victims, burglary victims, assaults, maybe a few murders, certainly some drugs charges.

I think what we need is a US-style approach to violent crime, but something more lenient than the US's approach to drugs possession and other non-violent crime.

It seems to me that (a) people who commit "white collar" crime do very little time, if any at all. (b) people who steal money in bank robberies etc. get very long sentences. (c) people who commit murder although given a mandatory "life" sentence seem to serve less than 10 years. (d) people who commit acts of rape / abuse on children/adults, get 7 to 10 years and serve usually 4 /7 only.

So society values money above human life and safety. And if one can stand up in court, dressed nicely, speaking in a well cultured voice, with a good barrister, charged with a white collar crime, one can get a few months in an Open Prison. Unless of course one is a banker. Then the State awards one with a golden handshake to ensure silence.

Nothing much has changed really, has it, when society values money more than people?

Old Mr Grouser

TrueBlue84

Not sure how much publicity his original crime received in the ROI - but this is the low life that, having raped the 15 year old girl , used her mobile to phone her mother and taunt her about what he had done to her child.

He should never be out again IMO.
Ahh didn't realise it was that bar steward. He is pure scum and his record is massive

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies