Public sector creaming it still

paxtime

You'd be surprised at the amount of people I meet daily who (if they aren't in the PS) would actually like it some foreign entity could take over and cut the PS back to the minimum - such is the level of disillusionment with the govt in this matter.

I'd hazard a guess this view is prevalent all over the country.

The country badly needs a political party that repesents the private sector worker.
Nobody really cares who you meet and in what numbers. Give us some solid verifiable evidence.

myksav

I think there's a bit of an unemployment problem at the moment. Hard data are hard to come by but rumour has it the life register runs to double figures in some towns.
Ya don't say.
I've a funny feeling that the private sector are extremely well aware of that problem. At least a few hundred thousand of them are. And they didn't even get to finish contract.

myksav

Why on earth would I quit a job I love?

Been there done that. My job in the PS is by far more challenging but I love it.
What were you complaining about then?

paxtime

Public sector employment was 300,000 approx in 2000, today that stands at 400,000. Thats 100,000 jobs created in the boom. It could be reasonably be argued on them figures that half of that 100,000 should be cut!!! Anyone that argues the public sector has shouldered its share is a twat!!!
And who is paying the levies? Not the private sector.

firefly123

And in the middle of your recovery time, you get a lovely set of bills in the post from those "free" public services. Been there, done that. (without the major internal bleeding. And that is on top of the taxes I paid.

There's some credit for you.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Genuinely. As for receiving bills after such an incident I can only speak on behalf of the emergency services and say there is no charge for an emergency ambulance anywhere and , in Dublin at least, no charge for private citizens calling out fire engines. As for the hospital, you can thank Mary and her two tier system for screwing you on charges. I would much rather give my money to a well run stare service with equal access for all rather than give it to aviva or whoever.

needle_too

As you've been told again and again and again, average PS pay is higher than average private sector pay because the PS has a greater proportion of higher qualified professional occupations and a lower proportion of low skilled jobs than the general population.
And that right there is the problem.

The PS are sucking up skilled workers at inflated payrates into inefficient businesses, raising costs and placing barriers in the way of private enterprise.

Cut wages and the resource will reallocate to more efficient and profitable businesses.

Good point, Baron, but I suspect not the one you were trying to make.

Baron von Biffo

And that right there is the problem.

The PS are sucking up skilled workers at inflated payrates into inefficient businesses, raising costs and placing barriers in the way of private enterprise.

Cut wages and the resource will reallocate to more efficient and profitable businesses.

Good point, Baron, but I suspect not the one you were trying to make.
It was a good point but clearly you don't understand why.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies