Public sector creaming it still

johnnypockets

The private sector pays for the public sector. The private sector is shrinking by the day. Therefore spending on the public sector has to be cut back. Its not rocket science....

myksav

i don't recollect any ps worker alleging the above on this site!
Will ya cop on lumping the 9 euro an hour street sweeper in with the college professor on 300 grand will always get a silly bloody average wage . Why blame the PS on everything
Again and again every year until theirs no PS they who will yas bloody blame .Stop following every line they feed yas as its getting very boring. Is this politics.ie or Public Service bashing .ie. Most are on the Near minimum bloody wage go after the higher paid FF appointed henchmen thats who are bleeding us dry

constitutionus

anyone got the actual stats for a street cleaner in ireland ?

coz all i can find googleing is some lad in arizona getting 31k in dollars there.

somehow i dont think its minimum wage

:)

slumdog1971

I work in the ps and I agree that the ps pay bill has to be reduced. It will be reduced through the continued ban on recrutiment and the reforms offered and agreed under the Croke Park deal.

If you cut the ps in half, slahed the remaining workers pay in half people will still be paying more taxes. You will still be cutting welfare, raising taxes and watching the coffin ships leaving for Canada and Australia.

Get used to it, we are going to be srewed for tax for the next ten years and all the attacks on the ps won't make one blind bit of difference to that simple fact.

In two years Lenihan has taken 12bn euro out of the economy. The economy is a dead duck. He now proposes to take another 12bn out over the next 4 years. The mark of a true idiot is one who keps doing the same thing over and over again and expects a different answer.

We are all screwed so I really wish yis would leave me alone and let me suffer in my own misery of further tax rises, food and mortgage increases, increased child care cost and having to listen to the contribution of idiots wa*kers on this forum crying for my pay to be cut again so they might not have to pay any more tax.

I AM NOT A WELL PAID PS WORKER. Most of us are just scraping by like the rest of ye. Average salaries across two sectors mean fuk all. Until there is another benchmarking exercise we have no idea of the difference in salary. Never in the history of the state have ps wages dropped more than private sector wages, never, not once until now and still it's not enough.

The ps has already watched as 13k people have left yet no one even wonders how the slack is been taken up. No one asks that, they think the job didn't exist in the first place so no one will miss it. What a load of rubbbish? It is likely that another 20k people will be expeced to leave over the next 4 years. I wonder does anyone wonder what is going to happen then? We will have to pick up that extra work as well as if it is easy to do more.

I will galdly work under private sector terms and conditions. Absolutley no problem but when the economy picks up I will want ot be treated as private sector worker. What is good for the goose is good for the gander and all that !

Expatriot

The private sector pays for the public sector.

No actually it does not, the ECB does. We have never made 50 billion euro a year in this country. Ever. Borrowing money is not economic activity to be praised. We have simply replaced binge private borrowing with binge public borrowing. Nobody is "paying" for anything.

We are now spending more on the dole of people that used to work in the private sector than we do on PS wages. Not to mention private banks. Of the 32 billion collected in tax this year about 25 billion came from private sector sources(or less). One private sector bank alone took more than that from the state. So I am afraid the Private sector is not generating any net income for the state at all. The Private sector is a much large drain on the state than the actual PS workforce is.

Want to make some tough decisions? Try facing reality as it actually is.

bactrian

I was listening to Liam Doran (Nurses Union) today on the Radio. You have to admire the man and how well he represents his members.
All you have to remember is that he represents his members.. He represents nurses.

Liam Doran has an amazing capacity to somehow assimilate the case for nurses pay into the argument about "interests of patients" and the "economically distressed" .

Nurses pay has nothing to do with "Patient Care"
Nurses are not among the "economically distressed"

After a lot of arguing around the houses Liam Doran finally conceded that the average gross pay for a Nurse is €56,000 (the other panelist was insisting it is €67,000)

€56,000 is definitely not an economically distressed gross pay.

I am going to annoy all nurses by suggesting that there is still enough room in their pay for a (10%) pay cut.

The above is not really the thrust of where I am going.

If you have ever encountered the HSE you will know that there are :

Nurses,

Then there are "Nurse Managers" (These may actually be a rational and good idea),

And above them are the managers, who manage "Nurse Managers" , these are the ambassadors for that malicious miasma and enigma called "Bureaucracy".

Within the maze of confusion that is the HSE , self-justification reigns. Forms are filled, "i"s are dotted "t"s are crossed, and exhausted from the fray of particularity , nothing is done. Masters of prestidigitation the HSE directs our eyes to the good job being done by frontline staff and away from the idiocy of the Bureaucracy which daily frustrates Nurses, Doctors, Pharmacists, Hospital Cleaners, etc.

We need a cull of "Managers" within the Public Service , that cull should remove between 50% and 90% of "Managers"

Goodbody

The ps has already watched as 13k people have left yet no one even wonders how the slack is been taken up.
There are vast areas of the public service where there is no slack to take up. Many OPW workers have nothing to do post-property crash (I have a friend who works there. The daily taxpayer-funded bus to Trim is the most active part of his day). If we had a properly functioning service, people could be re-allocated from areas of slack to areas of need.

constitutionus

No actually it does not, the ECB does. We have never made 50 billion euro a year in this country. Ever. Borrowing money is not economic activity to be praised. We have simply replaced binge private borrowing with binge public borrowing. Nobody is "paying" for anything.

We are now spending more on the dole of people that used to work in the private sector than we do on PS wages. Not to mention private banks. Of the 32 billion collected in tax this year about 25 billion came from private sector sources(or less). One private sector bank alone took more than that from the state. So I am afraid the Private sector is not generating any net income for the state at all. The Private sector is a much large drain on the state than the actual PS workforce is.

Want to make some tough decisions? Try facing reality as it actually is.
and where , pray tell, does the ECB get the money ?

more important WHAT sector will be tapped to pay the money back over the coming decades ?

heres a hint its not the PS

slumdog1971

more important WHAT sector will be tapped to pay the money back over the coming decades ?

Where do you think the ECB gets the money from?

Without the ps there would be no private sector, Without the private sector there would be no ps. Cop d fuk on with your them and us rubbish

Expatriot

Grow up, the ECB is printing money at the request of the Irish State to fund us. German tax payers will be repaying it because we cannot do so. We are going to default. The bond markets know it and the ECB know it.

The "Irish Private Sector" is a joke, it is not wealth creating, it is wealth destroying. SO get down off the high horse. Irish business is a disgrace and in its present form is the answer to nothing. 90% of the business in this country that is not a joke is owned by someone not Irish.

The Private sector cannot pay its own staff today on the lowest tax base in the Western world, and you think they will repay all of this debt for the state?

Get a life.

AIB? BOI? Quinn?

Dont make me laugh.

punchdrunk

The private sector pays for the public sector. The private sector is shrinking by the day. Therefore spending on the public sector has to be cut back. Its not rocket science....
Who pays for grossly over priced PRIVATE SECTOR services. I run a business. IT is being ripped off. It is our businesses that keep private sector paracites/leeches going. Where have the costs of private sector services fallen? So wake up and take off your blinkers. If public sector wages continue to be cut thousands more will lose jobs as demand further drops in the economy. Also thousands will default on loans. People such as you will wake up when it is too late. There is a wealthy layer in Irish society that is paying little or nothing. It is time these individuals were targeted.
The softening up process is underway to blitz the public service. So take it that there will be more public service pay cuts. When will we see a blitz on private sector service costs?
When we we see a blitz on tax exemptions for the wealthy?
This crisis was generated by the government and the banks, builders and developers in the PRIVATE SECTOR.

LongShanks

Another boring anti-PS thread.

constitutionus

Where do you think the ECB gets the money from?

Without the ps there would be no private sector, Without the private sector there would be no ps. Cop d fuk on with your them and us rubbish
ITS NOT THEM OR US you fool

its the FACT the wealth creating sector provides the taxes to fund the public sector. generally the exporting one.

thats economics 101 FFS !

PS worker do not contribute in net terms to the tax take as theyre PAID from taxes and borrowings

the ECB will either tap private wealth to borrow for us to get or worse case scenairo print money and dilute the value of the euro in your pocket.

jesus christ this is basic , basic stuff.

LongShanks

ITS NOT THEM OR US you fool

its the FACT the wealth creating sector provides the taxes to fund the public sector. generally the exporting one.

thats economics 101 FFS !

PS worker do not contribute in net terms to the tax take as theyre PAID from taxes and borrowings

the ECB will either tap private wealth to borrow for us to get or worse case scenairo print money and dilute the value of the euro in your pocket.

jesus christ this is basic , basic stuff.
We've been round the garden on this one. Seriously how many times do we have to rehash these lines of thought, we've been through it over an over again, especially this old chestnut of "wealth creating sector" which wouldn't exist without the services supplied by the PS, it's really really old at this stage.

Socratus O' Pericles

There are vast areas of the public service where there is no slack to take up. Many OPW workers have nothing to do post-property crash (I have a friend who works there. The daily taxpayer-funded bus to Trim is the most active part of his day). If we had a properly functioning service, people could be re-allocated from areas of slack to areas of need.
Well I have friends, a couple who work for Shell -neither of them has much to do -one or other is always home at four on the pretxt of calling to clients on the way home. A couple of weeks ago they were bragging about being at a do where everything was free including a free bar till 4am ,then Shell paid for a taxi home for everyone there. And the price of pertrol is 1.35 a litre and rising.

sauntersplash

Average weekly earnings fall - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 21, 2010
In the private sector, hourly earnings were unchanged over the 12 months to the end of June at €19.32. During the same period, public sector hourly earnings fell by 4.2 per cent from €30.07 to €28.81.

Miles ahead per hour before the rolls royce pension and job security is factored in. God i almost feel sorry for these hard done by public sector workers. Its all a conspiracy by CSO and ESRI (state controlled agencies) against the PS . Come on in IMF/EU and save us from the parasites in the PS (not all in PS are parasites but a large amount are)
eejit.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies