Public sector redundancies of nearly half a million euro per employee

patslatt

A quote from today's Irish Times headline news story "Upgrading electricity network cost €150 million in overruns":

"The reports say ESBN [ESB Networks] has funded severance costs of €135 million from its own resources.As a result,staff numbers dropped 287..."

Unless I'm missing something,this is an average redundancy of €470,000,a vast sum given that it is for average employees,not top layers of management.

Will this set an extravagant, gold plated precedent for the HSE and other public sector redundancies? With Mary Harney and former HSE CEO Brendan Drumm admitting that thousands of HSE managers should be made redundant,will the cost also be around half a million or more? If so,the total redundancy cure in billions could be worse than the disease of overstaffing.

Maybe the government should look into contracting out their services instead to the private sector,just like Premiership football clubs loaning out players. Would the private sector be interested in their services?

Broke

A quote from today's Irish Times headline news story "Upgrading electricity network cost €150 million in overruns":

"The reports say ESBN [ESB Networks] has funded severance costs of €135 million from its own resources.As a result,staff numbers dropped 287..."

Unless I'm missing something,this is an average redundancy of €470,000,a vast sum given that it is for average employees,not top layers of management.

Will this set an extravagant, gold plated precedent for the HSE and other public sector redundancies? With Mary Harney and former HSE CEO Brendan Drumm admitting that thousands of HSE managers should be made redundant,will the cost also be around half a million or more? If so,the total redundancy cure in billions could be worse than the disease of overstaffing.

Maybe the government should look into contracting out their services instead to the private sector,just like Premiership football clubs loaning out players. Would the private sector be interested in their services?
It's no wonder we pay so much for electricity.I would work in the HSE if the work was contracted out.

anewbeginning

Let's hear how the unions defend this.

People will realise soon that partnership was the greatest scam perpetrated against the taxpayer, started by Haughey and brought to new heights under Bertie and his sidekick Cowen.

The cosy cartel between the government and unions has cost the country a fortune.

brughahaha

People will realise soon that partnership was the greatest scam perpetrated against the taxpayer, started by Haughey and brought to new heights under Bertie and his sidekick Cowen.

The cosy cartel between the government and unions has cost the country a fortune.
I agree with you 90%

My disagreement is that you use the past tense "has"

Still going on with inflated salaries, allowances and expenses never mind the
endless waste and inefficiency

In one thread today it was calculated that a teacher with a masters receives
up to 220,000 over their career in bonuses for their qualification!!!
The we have the Siptu/HSE slush fund for Paddy's days holidays and taxis
home from the pub ( a snip at 2.5 mill)
There was FAS , another junket and high payment bonanza
The Health service , over staffed , over paid and crap
Public representatives allowances
Golden Handshakes
Super Pensions and tax free lump sums
On and on it goes .. reckion of the 3 billion they need at least 1 billion could come from the PS without anyone even noticing

TODevastated

I agree with you 90%

The we have the Siptu/HSE slush fund for Paddy's days holidays and taxis
home from the pub ( a snip at 2.5 mill)
There was FAS , another junket and high payment bonanza
The Health service , over staffed , over paid and crap
Public representatives allowances
Golden Handshakes
Super Pensions and tax free lump sums
On and on it goes .. reckion of the 3 billion they need at least 1 billion could come from the PS without anyone even noticing
agree 100% with that

the C&AG every year produces a litany of waste, do any heads roll?

doubt it

Odyessus

I totally agree, but would a government with Labour in it really end the cosy cartel? Not that even FG is talking about getting tough with public service unions.

SideysGhost

Setting such precedents is indeed the entire point of all these extravagent redundancy and early retirement cases in recent years - Molloy, Hurley etc too.

It doesn't just ensure they keep their mouths shut, it makes it much more difficult for the next Govt to rip out all the jobs-for-the-boys, quangos, obsolete work units still all sitting around collecting a salary, and layers of pointless middle management spoofery that cost billions every year, without incurring a ruinous redundancy bill.

"If Roddy got his I want mine!" they all cry.

Well you've already got yours. To wit: you gladly took years of wages for doing precisely feck all. Now here's your month's notice, f*** off.

Fir Bolg

Setting such precedents is indeed the entire point of all these extravagent redundancy and early retirement cases in recent years - Molloy, Hurley etc too.

It doesn't just ensure they keep their mouths shut, it makes it much more difficult for the next Govt to rip out all the jobs-for-the-boys, quangos, obsolete work units still all sitting around collecting a salary, and layers of pointless middle management spoofery that cost billions every year, without incurring a ruinous redundancy bill.
What needs to be done is to scrap the current constitution/legal system and write a new constitution to circumvent all these legal loopholes and pitfalls that have governments hands tied and result in the taxpayer getting shafted every time. and get rid of the english common law crap of precedent.

Halo

I agree with you 90%

the take home pay of my sister does not correspond with the basic salary payments that are on the tui websites which has been adjusted for last years budget.
i asked her was she doing extra work and she said no.
god knows what the unions and government are hiding from us.

wombat

Sounds incredible - literally unbelievable -any explanation as to how the figures were arrived at?

Odyessus

the take home pay of my sister does not correspond with the basic salary payments that are on the tui websites which has been adjusted for last years budget.
The salaries quoted by unions are basic nominal salaries which nobody actually receives. They leave out all the extras such as shift pay, unsocial hours, various allowances etc. which staff receive automatically.

I thought the dogs in the street knew this.

P.S. One might almost think the unions were trying to give the impression their members were poorly paid. But that couldn't be it, could it?

B

birthday

Could it be the extra €5,000 or so from the Ceard Teastas that many TUI members get.
This is an allowance for passing a basic exam in Irish.
Handy, in that it would pay around €200,000 over a career for no benefit whatsoever.
Most TUI who receive it, refuse to talk about it.
Surprise, Surprise!

myksav

Isn't there a side-paper with the Croke Park agreement that guanantees over-time pay when a PS worker misses out on over-time?
Amazing to get paid for work you don't do.

making waves

Could it be the extra €5,000 or so from the Ceard Teastas that many TUI members get.
This is an allowance for passing a basic exam in Irish.
Handy, in that it would pay around €200,000 over a career for no benefit whatsoever.
Perhaps you could produce evidence that teachers receive a €5000 allowance for such a qualificaton and then produce evidence about how many teachers receive such an allowance.

I await your response.

dresden8

I totally agree, but would a government with Labour in it really end the cosy cartel? Not that even FG is talking about getting tough with public service unions.
Hmmm, FF shill slagging off FG and Labour for FF's deals with the unions.

A touch of deflection going on here methinks.

jake76

Perhaps you could produce evidence that teachers receive a €5000 allowance for such a qualificaton and then produce evidence about how many teachers receive such an allowance.

I await your response.
Delete

Last edited:

derekbhoy

of course the spin the unions put on it is the basic salary, failing to take into account all the perks....... actually is wrong its actually funny

making waves

TUI, Teacher Salary Scales, Deparment of Education and Science
2. (i) *An Teastas i dTeagasc na Gaeilge le honoracha
€4,278

Minister drops teachers' Irish test - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie
This year 617 teachers entered for the ceard teastas 486 passed.
In case you are not aware of it you are talking about two completely different qualifications. The allowance you are indicating is for an honours H-Dip taken through Irish. It is not the basic Ceard Teastas that was spoken about which is a qualification required for a permanent appointment in Irish language schools and VEC run schools - and there is no allowance for it.

Furthermore - the allowance you link to is only received by a tiny number of teachers who qualified before 1968 and were not entitled to claim normal allowances for their qualifications.

New Threads

Most Replies