Public Sector Strike? Why the silence on pressing the nuclear option?

Congalltee

I am not a public sector employee, but if I saw that my pension fund was to be the first into the pot in a futile effort to save Portugal I would be livid. This on top of the 14-17% pay cut, with tax rises to follows.

But the beards are silent. Even the usual lefty voices have gone quiet. If this payment goes through we are at the mercy of our European 'partners' who's populace have been fed spin that it is we who are being bailed out, rather than their own reckless banks. The markets will see to our carcass.

The initial Market reaction is that this deal will not work - too little, double counting of our own money, banks black hole underestimated. Unions therefore have noting to lose by calling an all-out Public Sector Strike to be followed by a General Strike if our inept government force it through.

Who do the 100k leaders represent?

Expatriot

There is either an opt out from the public pension scheme now or total strike as far as I am concerned. I am paying 14% of my income plus PRSI into a scheme that does not exist. I clearly will not get the pension from it. Now their either address that directly or all bets are off.

Whats more the pension contribution and levy are about to be doubled with the removing of tax relief. There is no pension scheme and there is no possibility of this scheme paying the pensions. Deal with it now.

flexbrowne

True....

I've been saying it for 2 years now. The beards sold us out...The government has sold the nation out. Transformation me hole..........not an inch. Already done..enough done, enough given....time to say NO.

Expatriot

Soon I will be paying twice as much for union membership and twice as much for my pension.

I can see little benefit from either and I cant afford things that are not obviously useful any longer.

ManOfReason

The strikes will only come after a general election, when the union leader's co-conspirators in FF have slithered off the stage. No point on playing your hand against a lame-duck government.

Expatriot

they wont some then either, the unions are there to manage membership expectations not represent serious bones of contention. We will accept the signing of the pension scheme over to banks and will be accept the further pay cuts that have been announced. The doubling of the pension levy and pension contribution will hit people very hard. They will have to pay all people the same in the end so existing staff will have to also take the 10% cut. If new entrants are paid less than existing staff it will not work, you can have no internal promotions, nobody increasing hours after having kids or no internal transfers(the whole basis of croke park). Yet not a peep about any of this.

We will all be paid less than the EU average very soon. And there will be little more than a few trips outside at lunchtime and volumes of abuse in the media.

Socratus O' Pericles

But the beards are silent. Even the usual lefty voices have gone quiet. .................................................................. Unions therefore have noting to lose by calling an all-out Public Sector Strike to be followed by a General Strike if our inept government force it through.

Who do the 100k leaders represent?
Themselves and their peerrs fellow social partners -highly self regarding folks who lost touch with the membership long ago.Dave Begg was saying inn his TV interview last night that he would fight to his last breath to oppose the austerity plan--I was so angry at the patronising ************************************ I turned the TV off.

Socratus O' Pericles

Soon I will be paying twice as much for union membership and twice as much for my pension.

I can see little benefit from either and I cant afford things that are not obviously useful any longer.
Resign from the union itrwill make you feel a lot cleaner believe me.

Expatriot

"The IMF and EU also want to see the state pension qualification age increased to 66 years from 2014 and to 67 by 2021.

Reforms of the public sector under the Croke Park Agreement are also being demanded and public sector pensions will be reduced on a "progressive basis" by 4pc."

This from a left wing source...We must stump up €17.5bn for fund - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

The next government is going to have no choice other than to get rid of PRSI and the pension levy. The pension levy will have to be increased and turned into a straight pay cut and that reduced income used to calculate current PS pensions.

Otherwise there will certainly be a legal challenge to a scheme that is clearly designed to take in more that it pays out to people. The whole PS pension scheme will have to be scrapped now in total.

Anyone with a brain could tell you that someone paying a 9% pension levy and 5% pension contribution on reducing pay scales and reducing pension payments is going to be paying a hell of a lot more in than they will get out. That sort of defined benefit is not legally viable.

Mike TV

Is the government still putting 1% of GDP into the NPRF every year or is that suspended?

New Threads

Most Replies