Public sector to avoid budget pay cuts - Lenihan

johndodger

To be fair to Bormotello it's obvious that English is not his first language. That may explain his difficulties on this and other issues.
Common sence is obviously not in his vocabulary either.

He actually thinks the regulator and central bank set themselves up and that his paymasters in FF had nothing to do with them. He also thinks that the Govenor of said central bank and the regulator appointed themselves.

If that is the case i.e. if anyone can appoint themselves, then I herby appoint myself Govenor of the Central Bank.

That’s a very sweeping generalisation I'm fed up with that statement which I see frequently on this site "the private sector caused this mess", it was one section of it the bankers and who the hell was suppose to be regulating them and policing them? None other than the Public Sector who got paid off and massive pensions as a reward for their incompetence and laziness!
So you object to people making generalisations that the "the private sector caused this mess" yet you;re happy to make the riculous generalisation that all public sector workers are incompetent and lazy!

So tell me, who set-up the central bank and regulatory authority? Who put through the legislation? Who set the regulatory framework? Who appointed the central bank govenor and regulator? Did they set themselves up? Did they appoint themselves?

Lehihan has already held his hands up and said his givernment was to blame for the lack of regulation. So have two reports. Yet public servants get the blame once again. FF will be proud of you.

Now IF we had a Government in place that was prepared to take the tough decisions, one of the first of those initiatives should be to make a cut (wait.... hear me out) of say 30% to the pay of top CS/PS grades from Sec General down to Assistant Secretary, you know, the ones who were highly protected recently, and who are supposed to be MANAGING their departments.

Then, give them a 6 month time limit to implement clearly defined targets under CPA . If they achieve the necessary efficiencies and savings etc. they get the cut back as a bonus. There it is, their precious bonus. It just might concentrate their minds on actually doing their job under CPA.

I am a bit tongue in cheek here, because I know it will never happen, those mandarins are too powerful altogether. But a bit of creative thinking to get them to do what they are supposed to do.... manage, with an incentive along the above lines might wake them up from their Sir Humphrey stupor sometime soon.
Changes/reforms are already being implemented, but if you think that these reforms can create significant savings when there have already been savage pay cuts and job losses in the public service you (and the Government) are living in clous cuckoo land. At best these reforms will lead to some efficiencies and cut waste and compensate somewhat for the cuts to enable services to be continued to be delivered.

The only way to make significant savings in the public sector is to implement root and branch reform, across the entire public sector. The Government must initiate and lead this (individual PS managers cannot for obvious reasons); however they refuse to do so. So CPA was a con, designed so that the public service workers will get the blame when significant savings are not made and the Government will once again be let off the hook.

The Governments real plan, I believe, is to totally demoralise the public service (hence the vicious propaganda campaign to vilify public servants and blame them for everything which is lapped up by the media and Joe Public) and this combined with the pay cuts (and those to come in 2012) to get public servants to leave in droves once the economy starts to recover.

Certainly I know many many public servants who are so sick of being labelled lazy, inefficient, incompenant and overpaid by the FF/Media spin machine that they can't wait to get out.

you seem a busy man John

glad you're working to that contract
What do you mean?

My apologies. I have observed individuals failing to wash their hands after using the toilet in various public buildings. However, doctors' over-reliance on antibiotics provided a perfect breeding-ground for MRSA. Why are the hospital managers not holding these private sector cleaners to account for failing to do their jobs properly? Just for the record, I've no time for FF and I'm looking forward to the next election. Furthermore, ICTU's refusal to support the nurses in their campaign for better pay in 2007 proves that the idea of public sector worker solidarity is a myth.
Accepted. I've litte knowledge of medical matters so cannot comment on the over-reliance on antibiotics.

As to why are the hospital managers not holding these private sector cleaners, I don't know. Maybe they are, maybe its not the cleaners. Maybe its the general public? Maybe its something else? We didn't seem to have these problems until relatively recently so maybe it the fault of Governemnt policy, years of mis-management and underfunding (and wasted funding)?

johndodger

So if you are a contract worker, that would mean you have not taken a paycut?
I'm not a contract worker (I have a contract of employment as do most if not all staff, private or public, surely?) and of course I had a pay cut. Plus I pay the pension levy even though I don't have a pension.

They have power to tell everybody that country is on wrong way and government cannot stop them. CB knew that we have property bubble, but they preferred do not publish this report
Answer the questions. Who set them up and who appointed them? Who set up the regulatory framework?

Was Brian Lenihan wrong to take the blame? Why are you defending him?

Sow why do you want to see Fianna Fail cleaning their mess?
Why not to get rid of them ASAP?
Cleaning who's mess? Fianna Fail are the party in power... for 13 years. The buck stops with them.

Get rid of who?

How much do Fianna Fail pay you for this propaganda?

You must be the only person in the country, including FF members and supporters, who do NOT think FF have any blame!

seems pretty apt
How can you cut budgets and staff across the board and expect the public service to perform better?

Rumour has it that a 10% across the board cut in SW was presented at cabinet.

Think about it. It is impossible that further pay cuts larger than that will not follow.

The minimum wage is in the bin too.
Of course more pay cuts are coming in 2010. I've absolutely no doubt about that.

FreshStart

Public Sector Workers are going to get hit with tax increases just like everyone else. We are all getting suckered into paying for a bank bailout. We could have taken a hit here and there if it was just the usual running the country but the bank bailout has made things impossible. The next four years of taxes are simply covering the bailout.

We are all being asked to stump up and cut our cloths because some people got incredibly greedy during a building boom. FFS, we are prepared to take pin money off orphans, the blind and the disabled to pay for this mismanagement.

As for next year's austerity budget, I shudder to think.

FreshStart

And another thing, Biffo and Bozo suggested some 1.5% growth figures, not a chance. With four more years of austerity minus a stimulus programme, people will just keep saving and deleveraging. Think about it, what fool would approach a bank for a loan at this stage?

hammer

There is a part stimilus package. No hints yet though from the muppets :)

Might again be directed solely towards Smart Economy ( ho ho ho ) and the export sector.

SMEs / Retail etc..................not a chance but in my vocabulary at present a job is a job is a job :)

bormotello

Common sence is obviously not in his vocabulary either.

He actually thinks the regulator and central bank set themselves up and that his paymasters in FF had nothing to do with them. He also thinks that the Govenor of said central bank and the regulator appointed themselves.

If that is the case i.e. if anyone can appoint themselves, then I herby appoint myself Govenor of the Central Bank.
Your FF paymasters (because they agreed for benchmarking) can appoint only 6 out of 10 in CB of FR board

BTW, PS unions appointed David Begg to CB board
Is he also Fianna Fail?

Conor

Your FF paymasters (because they agreed for benchmarking) can appoint only 6 out of 10 in CB of FR board

Is he also Fianna Fail?
Where are you getting this nonsense from?

Bill D Gallows

So it looks like the axe wil fall on private sector workers and those on welfare, with public service and the elites escaping.

Lets not forget who works in the public sector.

The Government, TD`s, Senators, Judges etc.

What a fair society we have.
Here we go again scapegoating the Public Sector workers.

The problem is this bloody Government who have ruined our economy and have stitched us into a vicious austerity programme at the behest of our new European rulers, who as a reward have left Fianna Fail to act as their emissaries here to quell any disgruntled formerly sovereign Irish citizens.

johndodger

Is he also Fianna Fail?
What is "CB of FR"?

How would I know what political party David Begg belongs to, if any?

Why do you consistantly refuse to answer the quoestions I asked?

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies