• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Public Transport: The Last Word, after six today.

kerdasi amaq

The Last Word is discussing the subject of Public Transport in Ireland after six today.

Honecker

It will be interesting how the government will try to justify pay cuts and welafe cuts with increases in transport fares. I thought these cuts were supposed to make us more "competitive".

VHF

Send in a management consultancy team and forensic accountants. Identify waste and implement action plan.

RobertW

It cost me €2.20 to travel 3 miles on a Dublin Bus last Saturday.

This is the equivalent to the cost of 1.3 litres of petrol for a car.

You'd get more than 3 miles out of 1.3 L

statsman

This is the equivalent to the cost of 1.3 litres of petrol for a car.

You'd get more than 3 miles out of 1.3 L
How long did you stay at your destination and how much would parking have cost for that time?

kerdasi amaq

I'd say that greedy foreign globalists want to confiscate the public transport assets that state owns.

RobertW

How long did you stay at your destination and how much would parking have cost for that time?
Length of stay is not really relevant as I could have travelled to suburban shopping centres (3 miles in the opposite direction) where parking is free.

Roll_On

CIE can be made profitable in current terms very easily. It involves cutting pay and eliminating the travel pass. Introduce a special lower fare for the elderly and unwaged. The only government subventions should be capital infrastructure investment. The day to day running of the company should be profitable.

wombat

That's what it costs to take the Dart from DL to Dublin - 8 mls. I only drive into the city if I have a car full, doesn't pay for less than 3 people when you add in parking costs.

frequency

Send in a management consultancy team and forensic accountants. Identify waste and implement action plan.

Don't forget to pay them at least €100 million to produce reports that recommend salary cuts and staffing cuts to....pay for the management consultancy fees.

Intense lobbying can hopefully rid us of these pointless middlemen and we can just pay money directly to the consultancies without having to bother running any services.

kerdasi amaq

The bankers and bondholders believe that the money spent on Public Transport would be better off going into their pockets.

Honecker

CIE can be made profitable in current terms very easily. It involves cutting pay and eliminating the travel pass. Introduce a special lower fare for the elderly and unwaged. The only government subventions should be capital infrastructure investment. The day to day running of the company should be profitable.
Oh yeah I'd say there's great profit in running busses in rural Ireland:roll:

Roll_On

Oh yeah I'd say there's great profit in running busses in rural Ireland:roll:
services in rural Ireland, can be supported by more profitable routes. Take Iarnród Éireann for example, their current annual budget deficit is only €14million, relatively small, and could easily be corrected through cutting wages and removing the free travel pass, without having to remove non profitable rural services.

Clanrickard

Ah here now...........

gijoe

Jesus I have seen it all now. Just on the 6.1 News we had two of the 'most vulnerable' pleading for the retention of the free travel pass. The couple were really well dressed with the lady dressed up the nines in furs (or maybe fake fur). Holy Christ!!