Public versus Private Health Cover - Any Difference ??

max99

Our private health cover is due for renewal,, and we are seriously reconsidering, whether or not to renew it this year..

Is there actually any difference between a public patient & a private patient in a public hospital??

Are we being hit twice ?? once through taxes (PRSI & USC) and then through huge health insurance premiums ??

What's this waiver form that they throw in front of you as soon as you land in hospital ?? I wouldn't sign it anyway.
There are enough hikes in premiums as it is... and these huge companies just laughing at the muppets paying, without any questioning .... Has anyone any advice on this matter ?? :roll:

brughahaha

Our private health cover is due for renewal,, and we are seriously reconsidering, whether or not to renew it this year..

Is there actually any difference between a public patient & a private patient in a public hospital??

Are we being hit twice ?? once through taxes (PRSI & USC) and then through huge health insurance premiums ??

What's this waiver form that they throw in front of you as soon as you land in hospital ?? I wouldn't sign it anyway.
There are enough hikes in premiums as it is... and these huge companies just laughing at the muppets paying, without any questioning .... Has anyone any advice on this matter ?? :roll:
If your GP needs you to see a consultant or get an MRI .......then Private next week , public next year ....its that, far more than private rooms or anything else that makes me buy it .........its wrong , very wrong but i wouldn't be without private health insurance ...id give up the car or the holidays first

Dont think kids need it though TBH

Finbar10

If you've brought in with something obviously serious or life-threatening, then there'll probably be almost no difference. However, IMO the main difference is for the inbetween or borderline cases. For those cases private cover will probably speed things up in being seen by a consultant or getting tests done (where there's certain chance symptoms might point to something serious but probably not). In that case, you might be waiting months to see a consultant and then perhaps months more to get tests. If your symptoms haven't gotten worse or gone away at that stage, you're probably one of the lucky ones. Otherwise, if your symptoms get evidently worse during the wait, then you probably will actually be seen fairly quickly from that point, but lots of perhaps crucial time will have been lost. Probably why some of our morality stats for many diseases aren't great. It probably won't be that fast on private cover in the public system but still faster than the alternative.

Half Nelson

The health insurance companies are their own worst enemies. They refuse to cover certain procedures in certain private hospitals but will end up paying out multiples of the original cost when the public hospitals string out the patients, turning what should be short procedures into several night stays.

max99

Thanks.. some very interesting points above..appreciate it...
Will have to really think about this one...

Bill

Consultant referral is much quicker, also depending on which company you are with you can claim back money for gp/consultant visits. I always provide my insurance details when in ED you get admitted quicker. Not sure about premium costs as I don't pay attention to them , thought a read earlier they were coming down.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Insurance makes no difference in an emergency...car crash, whatever. It can make a huge difference to accessing all sorts of services...many people without decent insurance spend months or years in pain or worrying, waiting for something that an insured patient can get in hours or days.

It's a pretty disgusting system.

Massey

If your GP needs you to see a consultant or get an MRI .......then Private next week , public next year ....its that, far more than private rooms or anything else that makes me buy it .........its wrong , very wrong but i wouldn't be without private health insurance ...id give up the car or the holidays first

Dont think kids need it though TBH
Private MRI €200 cash.
Most people will not need PHI until they hit their 60`s, thats why Varadkar introduced a loading for people who did not join before their 40s.

max99

Insurance makes no difference in an emergency...car crash, whatever. It can make a huge difference to accessing all sorts of services...many people without decent insurance spend months or years in pain or worrying, waiting for something that an insured patient can get in hours or days.

It really is a disgraceful system....:roll:

Uganda

I would agree with everything except your last sentence.

What's disgusting is why we pay more than virtually any other country ( except 2, i think).

So what's disgusting is being forced to pay for a rolls Royce and being forced to accept a lada.

mickterry

My mother in law was diagnosed with bowel cancer on Jan 9th this year. Seen the consultant on on 15th and was operated on the 17th. Done in St. Vincent's and all done through the public system. No doubt it has faults but it worked out for her thank god.

Finbar10

Private MRI €200 cash.
Most people will not need PHI until they hit their 60`s, thats why Varadkar introduced a loading for people who did not join before their 40s.
That is a possibility people should be aware of. If you're worried you may be able to persuade your own GP to directly refer you to one of those private scan centres and pay the cash yourself. However, only certain types of tests tend to be done in such places.

Dame_Enda

I ended my VHI cover last Summer. But a recent semi-emergency is making me reconsider. However in the course of this I discovered that VHI only gets you an MRI on referral from a consultant, whereas with Laya Healthcare a GP referral is sufficient.

mickterry

I ended my VHI cover last Summer. But a recent semi-emergency is making me reconsider. However in the course of this I discovered that VHI only gets you an MRI on referral from a consultant, whereas with Laya Healthcare a GP referral is sufficient.
My wife has Irish Life and they cover scans on a doctors letter. Even on their cheapest policy

Dame_Enda

My wife has Irish Life and they cover scans on a doctors letter. Even on their cheapest policy
But is GP referral sufficient for MRI or does it have to be a consultant on Irish Life?

Half Nelson

I would agree with everything except your last sentence.

What's disgusting is why we pay more than virtually any other country ( except 2, i think).

So what's disgusting is being forced to pay for a rolls Royce and being forced to accept a lada.
Indeed.
EU membership was supposed to level the playing field but the ordinary punter is still waiting for the kind of access only allowed to businesses.

Bill

VHI are shyte they only cover a consultant visit up to 60 euro, first visit to a neurologist is 300-500.

Dame_Enda

Personally I would probably not be happy going to a public hospital even with private insurance. They are packed to the rafters with patients, and the govt is not prepared to reopen the thousands of beds closed since 2008. Unfortunately at present its still a bit expensive for me to go back on private insurance that would include private hospital cover. So I guess on balance I will wait a few months at least before considering a return to the market.

brughahaha

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies