• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Pubs closed on Good Friday

louis bernard

Why, in the 21st century does Ireland insist on closing licensed premises on Good Friday? Surely this makes a mockery of our pretence at being a secular society?

D

Deleted member 17573

Why, in the 21st century does Ireland insist on closing licensed premises on Good Friday? Surely this makes a mockery of our pretence at being a secular society?
Because our secular society is a pretence.

T

The_Big_Fellow

I refer you to the same answers that were given for and against in 2007,2008, 2009.

I'll use this threads appearance as a call to buy easer eggs

NeilW

Isnt it a bit too early in lent for this thread? It'll spoil our appetite for the starting off around Palm Sunday.

imokyrok

I caught the tail end of a couple of geezers moaning about some event that is scheduled for good Friday on the Joe "bless me father for I have sinned" Duffy show. I think it was a football match. The poor auld organiser had to come on air, kowtow and say he is open to rearranging it for Holy Thursday if that was required.

Mitsui2

Of course it does - as indeed does so much else.

When I was young, and still bothered my head about such things, it always baffled me that the pubs in Holy Catholic Ireland closed on both Catholicism's presumably saddest day - "Good" Friday - and on one of its happiest - Christmas Day.

Apart from anything else it seemed an odd way of commemorating someone whose first miracle was turning water into wine, especially in a country whose overwhelming immediate reaction to both grief and joy seemed to be to take to drink.

But I was, as I say, young then, and expected at least a certain minimal logic from human society. (Almost embarrassing to admit that now, actually!)

beanie

MsAnneThrope

I caught the tail end of a couple of geezers moaning about some event that is scheduled for good Friday on the Joe "bless me father for I have sinned" Duffy show. I think it was a football match. The poor auld organiser had to come on air, kowtow and say he is open to rearranging it for Holy Thursday if that was required.
It was raised in the Seanad yesterday too by a Fianna Fail senator who was extremely concerned that some rugby match had been moved to Good Friday and this would result in an economic catastrophe.

Last edited:

TradCat

Isn't it disgusting the way corporate drug-pushers use sport to hook young people on their addictive substances. The Heineken Cup, The Magniers League. All to make people think being addicted is a normal thing.

I think we should skip the annual debate about Good Friday pub opening just to annoy the pushers.

Isn't it disgusting the way corporate drug-pushers use sport to hook young people on their addictive substances. The Heineken Cup, The Magniers League. All to make people think being addicted is a normal thing.

I think we should skip the annual debate about Good Friday pub opening just to annoy the pushers.
I think we should keep the annual debate just to annoy the Catholic drug pushers

'orebel

Surely no big deal for the pub to close on a couple of days within the 365?
I don't give a sh1t if they close for six months, but I would like to see them close when the publican decides and not have it dictated by the alcoholics in government who can no doubt afford to be in a hotel.

'orebel

I refer you to the same answers that were given for and against in 2007,2008, 2009.

I'll use this threads appearance as a call to buy easer eggs
Those being?

White Horse

A symbolic day of temperance has no place in modern Oireland.

It would be better to reduce excise duty by 50%, let the ignorant fecless eejits drink themselves into oblivion, puke in the streets, and end up in A&E assaulting a nurse on go-slow(er).

That would be a better expression of our "culture".