put an end to $312 billion subsidies to fossil fuels - IEA

PAD1OH

In analysis that builds on the IEA’s ongoing work for the G-20, WEO-2010 reveals that fossil-fuel subsidies amounted to $312 billion in 2009. “Getting the prices right, by eliminating fossil-fuel subsidies, is the single most effective measure to cut energy demand in countries where they persist, while bringing other immediate economic benefits”, said Mr Tanaka.

IEA Press Releases

jcdf

I think it almost impossible that the 2C increase will be met. Should assume and plan for worst case scenario of 5C increase. Burning oil, coal and gas is the only way developing economies can maintain their growth rates. Their stability depends of high growth rates. Therefore they will not endanger their growth rates at any cost. Those places worst affected by global warming, ie Africa and west Asia are incapable of influencing this argument.

Watcher2

Care to tell us what fosil fuel subsidies you are on about? As far as I know I pay massive taxes for oil and petrol.so where is this subsidy?

realist

"put an end to $312 billion subsidies to fossil fuels - IEA"

"Global Economy - IEA counts $550bn energy support bill."

In the thread you started in August the annual subsidy was reported by the IEA as $550bn and now they are saying it is $312bn. I would take their calculations with a rather large pinch of salt.

By the way, I just checked Eirgrid and wind generation at 7.15pm is 213mw. It is 6c outside. And yet my ESB bill has been increased by 5% to subsidise wind power generation thanks to our economic gurus in the Green Party.

PAD1OH

GreenIsGood

Motor fuels in places like Egypt are sold below the world market price. This is a subsidy to the poorest of the poor to enable them to travel to work or transport their produce to market.

Lazy, fat-arsed western Europeans denounce the governments of these poor countries whose fuel subsidies are aimed to help the poor. Yet the same greedy people demand greater and greater subsidies for useless "renewable energy" scams in their own countries.

Hypocritical morons.

realist

Counting subsidies is quite difficult. The FT article was discussing overall subsidies (including producer subsidies) whereas the BBC is only talking about government subsidies.

Some estimate that total subsidies for fossil fuels could be as high as $600 million. here is one reference Kinds of subsidies, who uses them and how big they are | Global Subsidies Initiative
From the first IEA study:
"The world economy spends more than $550bn in energy subsidies a year, about 75 per cent more than previously thought, according to the first exhaustive study of the financial assistance devoted to oil, natural gas and coal consumption."

From the second IEA study:
"In analysis that builds on the IEA’s ongoing work for the G-20, WEO-2010 reveals that fossil-fuel subsidies amounted to $312 billion in 2009."

PAD1OH

How many times will this lie rise from the dead?

Can we lock this thread please and make these nutjobs place these repetitive lies on the thread where the documented proof of their falsehood has aleaft been posted.
are you accusing me or the IEA of lies?

I assume then you have more reliable figures from a more reputable source

please post them.

if you don't post them, retract your accusation.

PAD1OH

for more reading here is some info on the joint work by the IEA, OPEC, OECD & World Bank.

This was in response to a request by G20 Leaders when they met in Pittsburgh in September 2009. At that time, leaders agreed to “rationalize and phase out over the medium term inefficient fossil fuel subsidies that encourage wasteful consumption”. They asked the OECD together with the International Energy Agency (IEA), OPEC and the World Bank, to “provide an analysis of the scope of energy subsidies and suggestions for the implementation of this G20 country initiative”.
Fossil Fuel Subsidies

Tombo

Page 7.

Count the number of countries that have fuel prices even close to the unsusbsidised price.

Tax on fossil fuels is one of the big earners for governments the world over.

http://www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/gtz2009-en-ifp-full-version.pdf

Now, for probably not the last time, take your nonsense and go elsewhere.

I am sure readers can't wait for the end of those evil fossil fuel subsidies that leave us paying €1.30 per litre for something that cost about €0.40 to profitably produce.

Agnotologist

I don't know whether you read your own material or just post very long papers in the hope that no one will read them and swallow your BS. If you do read them, you will see that, for example, taxes in the US are 10c per litre and the piece recommends more since it is not enough to cover their purpose of road maintenance. Would you prefer to pay out of income taxes for what the fuel taxes cover?

I am sure that there is a lot more in that vein but I do not intend to read it.

fiannafailure

Page 7.

Count the number of countries that have fuel prices even close to the unsusbsidised price.

I am sure readers can't wait for the end of those evil fossil fuel subsidies that leave us paying €1.30 per litre for something that cost about €0.40 to profitably produce.
And for the umpteenth time, energy subsidy only happens in the country of production.

riven

Shall we also end subsidies to other energy producers.

Coal get around 0.5EUR/mW produced. Solar gets 22EUR/MW and wind gets 24EUR in America and similar numbers exist for Europe.
Fossil fuel gets a large absolute amount as it produces 99%+ of the electricity we use.

We discussed this on the Kevin Meyers wind thread.

Agnotologist

All fossil fuels received huge subsidies in their early years. What they have now is mostly built in to a system and permanent. The greatest subsidy still is the unseen one of cleanup. Here, in Canada, certain now ended operations will take hundreds of millions from yhr public purse for that cleanup.

One Gold mine, as an example, has an estimate of $400 million for that. It is the same for fuel sources.

PAD1OH

Page 7.

page 7 is about fuel prices in Africa.

How does the fuel price in Africa make what the International Energy Agency, OECD and World Bank say on fossil fuel subsidies incorrect?

I realise that you are probably embarrassed because your own fantasy on subsidies has been shown to be just that.

New Threads

Most Replies