• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Put down those Burgers or you'll be Running to the Races!

ruserious

In a study carried out by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland, it was found that:
A NUMBER OF beef burger products, on sale at various supermarkets across the country, have tested positive for horse DNA. Out of 27 beef burger products analysed, 10 tested positive for horse DNA, while 23 tested positive for pig DNA.
Burgers which tested positive are all available at all the main supermarkets here.

However, this takes the biscuit:

However, in one sample from Tesco, the level of DNA indicated that horsemeat accounted for approximately 29 per cent relative to the beef content.
Horse and pig DNA found in supermarket beef burgers · TheJournal.ie

Why are these companies putting meat from other animals into our food?

Marcos the black

Horse meat is very popular in Italy.
Nothing wrong with it.

Carl Claudius

big swinging mickey- a bit of horsemeat. high time we started eating a bit of it.

a lot of the salamis have donkey meat in them.

I would be more concerned about british beef on sale in the the british supermarkets here.

former wesleyan

In a study carried out by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland, it was found that:

Burgers which tested positive are all available at all the main supermarkets here.

However, this takes the biscuit:

Horse and pig DNA found in supermarket beef burgers · TheJournal.ie

Why are these companies putting meat from other animals into our food?
Without being snide in any shape Ruserious, what did you think that sausage meat and buger meat was / is made from ? Like, 5 X 1/4lbrs for 3 euros can't possibly contain Irish beef.

Make your own:-

slippy wicket

No particular issue with horse meat, had it before and found it quite pleasant.

The only issue that I have is that there had to be something dodgy going on as the meat plants mentioned don't handle horse meat.
Curious to say the least.
That and the fact that the owner if liffy meats was done for possession of angel dust in the past.

slippy wicket

The only issue that I have is that there had to be something dodgy going on as the meat plants mentioned don't handle horse meat.
That and the fact that the owner if liffy meats was done for possession of angel dust in the past.

ruserious

Without being snide in any shape Ruserious, what did you think that sausage meat and buger meat was / is made from ? Like, 5 X 1/4lbrs for 3 euros can't possibly contain Irish beef.

Make your own:-

Well is something is advertised as beef, I expect to get beef, not Shergar.

mido

are you sure it has done no harm-not seeing double?

Hewson

You'd need to be soft in the head, or starving, to buy ready-made burgers. Like sausages, they're full of, well, sh!te. Trimmings, leftovers, offal. The bits you wouldn't touch with a bargepole if you saw them on the counter individually.

Get your butcher to mince round steak, add spring onion at home, along with oregano or thyme, black pepper and paprika and make your own.

Your gut will thank you.

Shqiptar

Heh heh. Who knows what else is in them?

Bon appetit!

Number2

"Stange meat found in processed burger shocker!"

As long as they didn't find human DNA.

BlowIn

I'm with Hewson on this lads, if your going to eat a burger make it a decent one.

I couldn't care what meat they would offer in shops but labels should be trust wordy.

Consumers must have confidence in the produce they see buying.

Note: I draw the line at cats and dogs, I don't want to eat something I might have played fetch with or let sleep beside the fire.

gijoe

Last edited:

Thady Quill

Another example of how poor Irish food is.
Remember the contaminated pork scandal of 2008 when shops/restaurants posted signs declaring their pork was not Irish? Are we going to have a similar situation now?

Hewson is right: if you must have burgers, get your butcher to make them up.

slippy wicket

The problem is that I bet that Tesco economy burger packaging does not state that it contains 29% horse meat.
Very true, but I bet they also don't say that they are going to taste nasty on the packaging either. ;)
I don't know who said it, but the two things you don't want to see being made are sausages and legislation.
For the same reason too.