Putin proposes Russia-EU union. (may join the euro)

Squire Allworthy

Oh yes, the old continental empires asserting themselves is to Ireland's "benefit"? No, that was historically false, and it'll prove false now. We are actually re-entering an old era that all thought was banished 65 years ago, and it's a very dangerous era.

Russia and China recently declared their alliance to be irreversible.

Ask yourself where do the threats to Russia lie?

What does Russia have to offer Europe? What does Russia need?

What has Europe to offer Russia? What does Europe need?

Cooperation between Russia and Europe is in the interests of both.

The Russians are unquestionably realigning.

JamesTH

Always an interesting debate, what is Russia and what is European? What is Russia if not European? Eurasian? Sorry, off track here.

I think a stronger partnership would clearly be positive, and as Putin says it would help depoliticise energy concerns. Russia has a long way to go though, before it is ridden of power and rights abuse. Perhaps a certain degree of chaos is inevitable after the Yeltsin fallout. The wikileaks comments don't portray Russia's politicians in a healthy light, but perhaps they are slowly making progress

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
We are entering a new era, Russia is again slowly on the rise and sees its interests in secure and good relations with Europe. This is unquestionably to our benefit.
Indeed it seems so. Another interesting State of the Nation speech from Medvedev today:

BBC News - Medvedev sees arms race if missile shield not agreed

He acknowledges the problems in Russia we here on P.ie have often talked about. He is definitely continueing to lay out his stall, and its impressive.

On the question of whether or not Medvedev is prepared to step aside for Putin next election though; still no clear indication. But its easy to see Medvedev arching ambition for Russia. I wonder if Putin thinks he can follow on what Medvedev has started.

Al.

Indeed it seems so. Another interesting State of the Nation speech from Medvedev today:

BBC News - Medvedev sees arms race if missile shield not agreed

He acknowledges the problems in Russia we here on P.ie have often talked about. He is definitely continuing to lay out his stall, and its impressive.

On the question of whether or not Medvedev is prepared to step aside for Putin next election though; still no clear indication. But its easy to see Medvedev arching ambition for Russia. I wonder if Putin thinks he can follow on what Medvedev has started.
Medvedev started nothing. Whatever he does is at Putin's direction. As for the "problems in Russia", he and his boss are the cause.

Tim Johnston

On the question if russia will join the eurozone. Putin answered that Rapprochement between Russia and the eu inevitable is. And even said that in the future may even want to join the monetary union.

We should be frank about it: The global economic crisis has revealed both Russia and the EU to be economically very vulnerable," Mr Putin wrote.

Russia is still too dependent on its oil and gas exports, he argued, while the EU has lost its competitive edge in the world through its de-industrialisation policy.

A "harmonious economic community stretching from Lisbon to Vladivostok" would imply strategic alliances in key industries, such as shipbuilding, car manufacturing, space exploration and the pharmaceutical industry.

"In my view, we need to address the question as to how we can trigger a new wave of industrialisation across the European continent," he wrote.

In the field of oil and gas, Russia's main exports to the EU, Mr Putin argued that the co-operation needs to be de-politicised and have European and Russian firms working together "from exploration and exploitation of energy resources all the way to the delivery to consumers."
I like it.
Russia's future lies with the EU - I just thought we would realise that before they did.

McDave

It's good to have close economic relations with Russia. However, I can't ever see Russia being in the EU, let alone the Euro. Russia is too large and too different.

The EU is essentially a western European construct. There are a lot of cultural and civilisational commonalities which underpin this construct. Once you hit the borders of Orthodox Christianity, the politics and culture fundamentally diverge. There are exceptions like Greece and Bulgaria, but that's going to be as far as those exceptions go.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies