Pyrite used on M3 Motorway.

FrankSpeaks

The Chief Executive of the NRA has confirmed that the mineral Pyrtie was used in the construction of the M3. The mineral expands in the presence of water and oxygen and caused structural damage to many houses in the Dublin and Meath area.

Would any engineer care to comment on the implications of its use in road construction?

j26

Looks like Tara will outlast the road then. I can't imagine that being good

Mitsui2

I'm not an engineer, but...

It expands in the presence of water?
And they used it in a road?
In Ireland?

I don't think you need an engineering degree to say "Oh dear!"

alonso

I see rte.ie are reporting that this is open ahead of schedule.... jaysus

B

birthday

if you care to read link it is apparent that it was not used as a structural fill but rather for embankments.

myksav

B

birthday

if you care to read link it is apparent that it was not used as a structural fill but rather for embankments.
Mr Barry also told Mr McEntee that “there is no use that we are aware of [of pyrite] as structural fill and the material complied with specifications for the purposes for which it was used.”

DaveM

I see rte.ie are reporting that this is open ahead of schedule.... jaysus
Depends on what you're loooking at I suppose. The construction phase is being completed well ahead of schedule. Under the terms of the contract the motorway wasn't due to open until the end of this year. However the pre-contract phase of the project dragged on forever.

B

birthday

"The real kicker is yet to come, when traffic levels will show that the taxpayer will start paying millions of euros every year to the toll company, because traffic fails to meet the traffic guarantee which was secretly written into the M3 contract by the NRA."

Spokesman for Tarawatch.
I wonder what the full details of this aspect of the contract are?

alonso

Depends on what you're loooking at I suppose. The construction phase is being completed well ahead of schedule. Under the terms of the contract the motorway wasn't due to open until the end of this year. However the pre-contract phase of the project dragged on forever.
Yeh it's 4 years late by the DTO Strategy timeline and 1 year late according to Transport 21

FrankSpeaks

The article states that it was also used as a roads base, will the roads crack?

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane

myksav

We dodged a bullet there so, there's hardly any of that water or oxygen stuff hereabouts.
That water stuff is not as rare as you thought, there's been much of it captured and imprisoned (on grounds to safety) in racks.

Passionateheart

A lot of speculation doing the rounds that the final stretch of the excellent new "motorway" between Galway and Dublin was opened before it had time to settle, meaning that it will be in bits within a relatively short time!

Basecase

In relation to Homebond's withdrawl of cover to homes affected by pyrite - surely they cannot do this if they cover structural guarantees and they should pursue the developer / quarry for the client, not the client themselves?!?!

Harmonica

In relation to Homebond's withdrawl of cover to homes affected by pyrite - surely they cannot do this if they cover structural guarantees and they should pursue the developer / quarry for the client, not the client themselves?!?!
The developer would agree he purchased a bond as an insurance policy on the home they built. Of course home bond is advertised suggesting all structural defects will be fixed, not all defects up a limit. This is Ireland so no one is responsible.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Cabinet gives approval for

Good news for homeowners.

Another mess sorted by FG/Lab.
Gotta love this logic:

The Government received legal advice that it would be unsafe to go ahead with a levy because many companies could argue that they were not directly responsible for the pyrite-damaged homes.
So, instead we all have to pay for it. How was I responsible for this?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies