Quad bikes and fatalities

Hillmanhunter1

I'm old enough to remember the days when tractors were still only just replacing horses, and none of the tractors had roll bars, never-mind cabins.

A series of horrendous accidents in which farmers were killed led to the introduction of a requirement that all tractors be fitted with roll-bars.

Quad bikes are a really useful tool for farmers, and a hoot for the rest of us, but I think it is time to legislate for a roll-bar. I don't want to read about any more people being killed.

nakatomi

Lots of kids seriously injured on these things .
But lots of kids seriously injured falling off horses.

Hillmanhunter1

Yeah, but you can't put a roll bar on a horse!

Hillmanhunter1

Something like this:

seanof

I'm old enough to remember the days when tractors were still only just replacing horses, and none of the tractors had roll bars, never-mind cabins.

A series of horrendous accidents in which farmers were killed led to the introduction of a requirement that all tractors be fitted with roll-bars.

Quad bikes are a really useful tool for farmers, and a hoot for the rest of us, but I think it is time to legislate for a roll-bar. I don't want to read about any more people being killed.
I can't understand why it wasn't done years ago. The accident / death rate for these things must be enormous.

McSlaggart

I can't understand why it wasn't done years ago. The accident / death rate for these things must be enormous.
The fact is they normally do not kill people and that is why their is not a bigger outcry about the amount of damage they are doing to people.

SPN

Too many accidents . There should be some sort of speed limiter and roll bar .
I wouldn't be agin rollbars in principle, but driver training would be a good place to start.

I remember coming around a bend sideways on one a few years ago and I tipped a rock, barely managed to get my weight out over the handlebars in time to stop her rollin'.

Would have been messy.

A cousin of mine was coming into the grandfather's yard on one. Missed the brakes and went head first into the gable end of the house. Broke every bone in both hands. Quad was undamaged though. Quare strong yokes.

blinding

I wouldn't be agin rollbars in principle, but driver training would be a good place to start.

I remember coming around a bend sideways on one a few years ago and I tipped a rock, barely managed to get my weight out over the handlebars in time to stop her rollin'.

Would have been messy.

A cousin of mine was coming into the yard
I personally have very little dealing with them but even in my own life I have one close family member who witnessed a serious roll over accident in Egypt . And a work acquaintance told me he was lucky to survive a similar incident .

There is something inherently dangerous about them .

che schifo

Last edited:

Watcher2

Isn't it funny though, in this day and age with widespread education at fairly high levels, and a MASSIVE amount of information at our finger tips, that people think such things need legislations? That owners and users of quads, especially on dangerous terrain, would not use roll bars themselves.

A hotbed of Darwin Award winners.

Watcher2

I'm a farmers son myself so I've witnessed and experienced some far out incidents. Luckily, no one seriously hurt. Looking back now, we are constantly amazed that such and such incident did not result in death or serious injury.

I have very limited experience of quads. I went on a stag party and a rugged terrain course on a quad was organised. It was very well organised, supervised and slow. Not so much fun as a hell for leather speediest, but if it was that, likely 50% of us would not be here now. A roll, looking back, is all very possible that day but never happened thankfully.

The other was a race on baby quads but it was on a flat field surface and no one got hurt. We are all decent drivers so knew about weight shifting for bends etc. That said, would not have taken much to tip over at high speed.

SPN

Indeed. Although Russian scientists have cleverly developed a horse with a cùnt halfway up its back...
Ah yes, the man who stood beside the Syrian people, put his Country's resources and sons at their disposal, and drove the Wahhabi terrorists, who had killed 400,000 innocent people and displaced ten million, back out of Syria to the shít holes they had come from.

I'd rather be a war ending cúnt than an ISIS fellow traveller.

The Field Marshal

It appears you are unaware that a safety roll bar can be permanently fixed to a quad bike.
It also looks as though you are unaware that a safety roll bar can not be fixed permanently to a horse.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies