• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Quangos in Ireland

commonman

Here is a list of quangos that we have in our country. FG said that they are going to do some thing about this when they get in to power there in now over two years. So if the want to find 3 or 4 billion of cuts they should start with at least the half of them straight away there is not another country in the world that has that many Quangos.http://quangos-ireland.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Irish_Quangos

tipp revolution

Here is a list of quangos that we have in our country. FG said that they are going to do some thing about this when they get in to power there in now over two years. So if the want to find 3 or 4 billion of cuts they should start with at least the half of them straight away there is not another country in the world that has that many Quangoshttp://quangos-ireland.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Irish_Quangos
List of Irish Quangos - Irish Quangos Wiki
anything to help buddy - i had a quick look and already the neck is turning pink

maybe we should have a awards scheme- will sponsor the tits-on-a-bull (d'you like that drummed) award with a cash prize of €5 million euros and my awards ceremony will be held in the Sandy Lane, Barbados

Analyzer

How does Greater Machester manage without all the quangos, bords, authorities, talkshops, councils, stinktanks, semi-quangos, etc.... that the PAYE taxpayer has to feed here ?

Not to mention the pretend private organizations, that are adept at sucking out of the taxpayer.

It needs to stop. It is just beyond ridiculous at this stage.

Kitty O'Shea

How does one go about getting a job on a quango?

tipp revolution

How does Greater Machester manage without all the quangos, bords, authorities, talkshops, councils, stinktanks, semi-quangos, "charities", etc.... that the PAYE taxpayer has to feed here ?

Not to mention the pretend private organizations, that are adept at sucking out of the taxpayer.

It needs to stop. It is just beyond ridiculous at this stage.
did you just quote that verbatim from fg's five point plan or maybe from labour's last election manifesto.....?

Analyzer

Joining a political party is usually one way of proving "suitability".

If you canvassing does quailify - as many elections as possible. And make sure you back a winner.

Analyzer

did you just quote that verbatim from fg's five point plan or maybe from labour's last election manifesto.....?
Before I could do that, I would have to be in a position of finding those ficticious documents......last I heard they disappeared into the abyss.

tipp revolution

i believe the first thing you need is a loofah? a loofah, Gay? yes, a loofah,for scratching backs of course...

eoghanacht

hiding behind a poster

Here is a list of quangos that we have in our country. FG said that they are going to do some thing about this when they get in to power there in now over two years. So if the want to find 3 or 4 billion of cuts they should start with at least the half of them straight away there is not another country in the world that has that many Quangos.List of Irish Quangos - Irish Quangos Wiki
That's not a list of quangos. It includes Aer Lingus, FFS.

Next.

ibis

Not wanting to upset anyone who has the idea that we're in some way "special" here - but this is an equivalent list for Scotland: National Public Bodies Directory

Note that I'm not disagreeing that quangos are a good place for cuts, that they're a way of avoiding government responsibility, or that they're a handy source of perks for political buddies, given that half of Ireland's roughly 5,000 quango board seats are in the direct gift of Ministers. I'm just pointing out that they're not a peculiarly Irish phenomenon by any means.

tipp revolution

One has to be related to or know someone important.
like jackiemichaeldanny healy-rae or don lowryone or mahhie mcgrath the list goes on. i saw martin sheen in paddy's in terryglass one evening - he's the former president does that qualify? can i have an upgrade?

Ryan Tubbs

Here is a list of quangos that we have in our country. FG said that they are going to do some thing about this when they get in to power there in now over two years. So if the want to find 3 or 4 billion of cuts they should start with at least the half of them straight away there is not another country in the world that has that many Quangos.List of Irish Quangos - Irish Quangos Wiki
Do we really need yet another ill-informed quango-slashing thread where people don't even bother to check the facts of what they're wailing about?

14 were abolished in 2011
17 were closed in 2012
And 46 are due to close in 2013.

That's a total of 77. In other words, about a third of all quangos that existed when Fine Gael and Labour came into office will be closed before they complete their 3rd year in office.

Let me repeat that, just in case anyone missed it: a third of all quangos that existed when Fine Gael and Labour came into office will be closed before they complete their 3rd year in office.

The reason for the sudden glut in 2013 is that, obviously, it takes some time to close down any organisation. A Minister can't just rock up to the front door and bring down the shutters. Business has to be wound down; charming people on public sector contracts have to be redeployed; responsiblities have to be re-assigned, etc. 2 years seems like a decent timeframe for any organisation.

But don't let that stop anyone from a load of complaining based on a load of oul' waffle that isn't based on any facts whatsoever.

But of course whether it's a third, or half, or 90% or 99%, it will never be enough for the brigade out there who think that all government needs to be slashed and wound down, to the point where all government functions in a developed country of 4 million people can be performed by a single Drinking Bird, sitting in front of a keyboard

Last edited:

commonman

Do we really need yet another ill-informed quango-slashing thread where people don't even bother to check the facts of what they're wailing about?

14 were abolished in 2011
17 were closed in 2012
And 46 are due to close in 2013.

That's a total of 77.
Yea, are due to close, what is wrong with will close.

tipp revolution

if anyone has time on their hands and an interest in filling in the details of the composition of the quangos , there could be an interesting bit of cross referencing wrt political party membership and nos of quangos bagged by any one individual.

Ryan Tubbs

Yea, are due to close, what is wrong with will close.
Wow. What a clever comeback. Ignore the entire contents of my post, but then engage in word-play.

Ah sher, why bother with the facts when we can have arguments over dictionary definitions of words! :lol:

Analyzer

Some quangos get renamed when they are so bad, that they have a bad name.

Give them a new name, and proceed as before.

FAWSSSS becomes Solas.

Popular Threads

Most Replies