Quantum Mechanics... Eloquent Beauty or a Century of lies???

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Bet we'll find that quantum states absolutely have to exist as a physical and non-physical law simultaneously. Heh. Made a physics joke and it is really shyte.

blinding

Bet we'll find that quantum states absolutely have to exist as a physical and non-physical law simultaneously. Heh. Made a physics joke and it is really shyte.
Are you saying that our Universe / life / everything we know is just a joke of a ‘ Higher Being “ ?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
No, that is not an explanation that my mind would naturally leap to as I honestly don't believe there is any such thing in existence. I'm pretty sure that most of existence outside of ourselves and possibly some of the other fauna on the planet is perception-neutral. It has no reason to invent consciousness at any other level any more than on this level. Equally it has no reason not to. We don't know.

For all we know there is a pack of scientists on the other side of a dimensional wall who are busy trying to resolve the problem of too little mass being observable in their universe and the mysterious bright matter that crops up in their mathematics just as ours are trying to find the answer to why we appear to have to have loads of dark matter in our dimension.

We might be trillions of miles apart or standing right next to each other. No reason why either could be the case. There may be billions of dimensions for us to discover, all of them empty.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Distance doesn't need to work either as a concept. That really is a psychological limitation of our minds. We're still obsessed with sending humans in big expensive living quarters and life support systems as far out into space as possible. This is daft now that we have the ability to send very intelligent robotic probes to check for other cleaner planets we can then plot our way to, for example.

Why should we send living colonists with all the risk that entails. Just devise a machine that fertilises the eggs in time for the growth chambers to come on line and then about 21 years before planet-fall on Gorgeous the machine starts to rear space-babbeh. Bet it would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to pack all those energy bars either. Hey presto, humanity is saved.

Clocks are daft, really, and only needed since we became ever so sophisticated and began working on dark winter mornings and late into the night when for most of our evolution we did a very sensible and cost-saving thing and got up when it was dawn and went to bed when it got dark.

Last edited:

blinding

Perhaps " Something “ only invented Space and Time because it was Bored .

Neither may actually be Real .

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
quite possible. The question immediately becomes 'what is real? What does 'real' mean?' Suddenly one is ejected from the fighter jet of science and into the landscape of philosophy.

Don't like the idea of science and philosophy mixing too much. It would be possible to reduce the world's overpopulation by releasing a virus in high population centres in Africa and Asia and deliver a much better world for those who won the lottery to stay alive. Probably those with a higher IQ or educational attainment level.

That's scientifically possible. Doesn't sound like a very desirable thing to be doing ethically though so that's where basic philosophy comes in. Two sisters in a way, one more reliable than the other and the latter a bit skittish as a concept.

blinding

You have to think or philosophise to come up with the ideas .

The difference with Einstein / Newton / others is that they were able to do the Science / Mathematics to back up their ideas .

Drop me an Einstein / Newton for my use and I have ideas , though they may be crazy , admittedly .

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Wonder if there is a sort of velocity to human perception and awareness of its surroundings. There's no evidence for a smooth progression of evolutionary jackpot ideas. We had the conditions for an Enlightenment and a Renaissance so we enlightened and renaissanced ourselves the night away when they happened.

Great leaps forward. Maybe quantum physics will deliver us some things that effectively allows us to transcend our current state.

blinding

Wonder if there is a sort of velocity to human perception and awareness of its surroundings. There's no evidence for a smooth progression of evolutionary jackpot ideas. We had the conditions for an Enlightenment and a Renaissance so we enlightened and renaissanced ourselves the night away when they happened.

Great leaps forward. Maybe quantum physics will deliver us some things that effectively allows us to transcend our current state.
Quite Possibly .

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Bet there are loads of old people around feeling the ache in the bones and the rheumatics who would gladly sign up to transcendence.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Sounds very 1970s, that transcendence. Like Transcendental Meditation and alarming moustaches.

blinding

It would be an awful waste of my time ( and everybody else’s ) if there is not more than meets the eye going on .

How dare ! ? ! ?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well our eyes are so limited we are the apex predator on the planet and there are plenty of other species who can see better than we can and at far greater distances.

It could be that we are in the evolutionary adolescence stage. There's a fair amount of evidence for that. Pretty sure there is a huge amount going on that we haven't become aware of yet and can only explore that via chalkboard at best in theories and multidimensional modelling. We will keep going though if any live on at all through this stage as we have no choice and there's no difference between us now and those back in the rift valley who began to walk toward the horizon.

We can't stop exploring even if we wanted to.

owedtojoy

Schrodinger and Heisenberg were out driving, and were pulled over by a cop.

"Do you know how fast your were gong?" demanded the cop
"No, but I am pretty sure where we are" said Schrodinger.

The cop thought these were two weird guys, so he told Schrodinger to pop the trunk. He went back and opened it.

"Do you know you have a dead cat in here?" he said.
"No I did not know that. It's wave function must have collapsed." replied Schrodinger.

(There's a Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle joke in there, too, but that is another story)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Yes, it was 2007 for a while and now we are reversing to glory once again. We hope to reach the 1990s by christmas. 'Aversant ut gloria!'

Last edited:

blinding

One thing about the Big Bang Theory is ; That we can all claim to be the Centre of the Universe . This may be why things are the way they are .

I don’t know if we can claim to be the Centre of the Multiverse but deep down maybe I am ( wink )

wombat

Schrodinger and Heisenberg were out driving, and were pulled over by a cop.

"Do you know how fast your were gong?" demanded the cop
"No, but I am pretty sure where we are" said Schrodinger.
Should that not be Heisenberg?

owedtojoy

Should that not be Heisenberg?
Suppose so ... it is a play on the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle of QM, where the more precisely you know the position of a particle, the less precisely you can know the momentum (velocity). And vice versa.

Just to be totally irritating, this seems to be build into the fabric of the Universe. If there is a God, and if he did appear on Earth, a good challenge for him would be to go to CERN, and beat the particle physicists at their own game.

An interesting consequence is that you cannot cool a particle to a temperature of 0K, because, if you did, it would be perfectly motionless, and you would know its position and momentum exactly, thereby violating the Uncertainty Principle.

That would be another interesting challenge for God to achieve.

wombat

Suppose so ... it is a play on the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle of QM, where the more precisely you know the position of a particle, the less precisely you can know the momentum (velocity). And vice versa.
I'm not sure about extrapolating QM to the "real" world where Newton still rules. Its one thing to treat the motion of a subatomic particle as a wave, quite another to try it with a double decker bus.

Popular Threads

Most Replies