Queen "talked Mountbatten out of mounting a coup against Harold Wilson".

parentheses

Well, this is a shocker. Daily Mail claims that the Queen had to talk Lord Mountbatten out of mounting a coup against Harold Wilson in 1968. Mountbatten was allegedly involved with a group of Industrialists and Military Officers who wanted to mount a coup against Wilson.

Of course, in the 1970s there were also allegations that the British military was plotting against Wilson. Colin Wallace alleged that military personnel in Northern Ireland mounted a campaign of black propaganda named Clockwork Orange to smear the Wilson government.

McTell

Twitter
No
I love all these long ago plots with no names and no real proof.

And it is august, the silly season, nothing much to write about except an impending recession and brexit. Soooo, let's dream up a long ago plot.

rainmaker

Administrator
Well, this is a shocker. Daily Mail claims that the Queen had to talk Lord Mountbatten out of mounting a coup against Harold Wilson in 1968. Mountbatten was allegedly involved with a group of Industrialists and Military Officers who wanted to mount a coup against Wilson.

Of course, in the 1970s there were also allegations that the British military was plotting against Wilson. Colin Wallace alleged that military personnel in Northern Ireland mounted a campaign of black propaganda named Clockwork Orange to smear the Wilson government.
Not says the Mail, says a no mark, self publishing 'biographer' trying to drum interest and sales in his book about two long dead men who cannot be libeled or refute his claims.

Anyone who parts with their money for this probably shouldn't be trusted with anything more than small change.

Levellers

I don't know if Mountbatten was involved but the near coup happened in 1974-75 led by General Walter Walker.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
There isn't a snowballs chance in hell a Coup would have succeeded in 1968 in Britain"

Mountbatten was something of an Oddball and its possible he was shooting the breeze with some Hooray Henrys in the British Armed Forces.

IF he was then that was about the size of it.

Next they will be telling us the IRA blew him up at the behest of MI5

- because he knew too much.....

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
I see it's time for this bit of dubious froth to rise to the occasion.

Why do I sense there's nothing here that Robin Ramsay and Stephen Dorril missed back in Lobster magazine, issue 11, April 1986, and subsequently serially revisited?

I do so hope that British historian Andrew Lownie [Shurely, self-publicising former journalist for The London Times and the British representative for the Washington-based National Intelligence Centre ? — Ed.] got the Northern Irish dimensions aright. After all, that's the only reality in the whole caboodle.

The original 'plot' was a febrile Cecil King (head honcho of the Daily Mirror) cornering Mountbatten and Solly Zuckerman (chief government scientific advisor), 8 May 1968. King (there's the other Dublin connection) was inebriated on the toxins emanating from James Angleton, sometime CIA counter-intelligence 'expert'. Angleton, believing the defector Golitsyn, reckoned Wilson was fronting for the KGB. Zuckermann walked out of the confab, muttering 'Treason!'. Mountbatten was sucked in.

Or, as [Baroness] Marcia Falkender put it (Sunday Times, 31 March 1981):
Mountbatten had a map on the wall of his office showing how it [a military coup] could be done. Harold [Wilson] and I used to stand in the State Room at No 10 and work out where they would put the guns. We reckoned they would site them in the Horse Guards…

rainmaker

Administrator
I see it's time for this bit of dubious froth to rise to the occasion.

Why do I sense there's nothing here that Robin Ramsay and Stephen Dorril missed back in Lobster magazine, issue 11, April 1986, and subsequently serially revisited?

I do so hope that British historian Andrew Lownie [Shurely, self-publicising former journalist for The London Times and the British representative for the Washington-based National Intelligence Centre ? — Ed.] got the Northern Irish dimensions aright. After all, that's the only reality in the whole caboodle.

The original 'plot' was a febrile Cecil King (head honcho of the Daily Mirror) cornering Mountbatten and Solly Zuckerman (chief government scientific advisor), 8 May 1968. King (there's the other Dublin connection) was inebriated on the toxins emanating from James Angleton, sometime CIA counter-intelligence 'expert'. Angleton, believing the defector Golitsyn, reckoned Wilson was fronting for the KGB. Zuckermann walked out of the confab, muttering 'Treason!'. Mountbatten was sucked in.

Or, as [Baroness] Marcia Falkender put it (Sunday Times, 31 March 1981):
Mountbatten had a map on the wall of his office showing how it [a military coup] could be done. Harold [Wilson] and I used to stand in the State Room at No 10 and work out where they would put the guns. We reckoned they would site them in the Horse Guards…
Yeah, if you're going to plot a secret coup you probably don't invite the editor of mass selling tabloid to sit in on the secret plotting.

Wilson was a little paranoid, but I very much doubt he was so radical he was a threat to anything.

LISTOWEL MAN

its possible he was shooting the breeze with some Hooray Henrys in the British Armed Forces.

its possible he was **** with some *** in Kincora.

the IRA blew him up at the behest of MI5

- because they knew too much.....

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Wilson was a little paranoid, but I very much doubt he was so radical he was a threat to anything.
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they not out to get you."

In Harold's case, they all were. I met him (the once). Saw enough to respect the difference between the public image (pipe, and Private Eye's Wincarnis) and the reality (sharpest, most cunning, political mind in sight, cigars, brandy-and-water). Over Iraq, had A.C.L. Blair (Second, St John's, Oxford, law) had the sense to follow example of J.H.Wilson (First, St John's, Oxford, PPE) who kept us well clear of Vietnam, the UK and the Labour Party would be a healthier environment.

Therein is one cause of CIA hostility to Wilson.

Last edited:

parentheses

I get the impression Jeremy Corbyn is the modern Harold Wilson.

Except I don't think they will allow Jeremy anywhere near No. 10.

Paddyc

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell a Coup would have succeeded in 1968 in Britain"

Mountbatten was something of an Oddball and its possible he was shooting the breeze with some Hooray Henrys in the British Armed Forces.

IF he was then that was about the size of it.

A bit like why did the mafia kill Einstein?

McTell

Twitter
No
Let's invent a new conspiracy theory... the mountbattens were at Classiebawn because Lady (?) M ownded the castle.

She owned the castle because her da left it to her. He was -

One of the local priests that he gave a house to, for a village hall, was -

who was V-P of the reborn Sinn Fein from 1917 and haggled with carson in 1921. They all knew each other. It was a small world.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies