Queens belfast

McSlaggart

Cold house for unionists?

Someone in Tackback claimed that Queens in Belfast is a cold house for unionists. GAA tops being highligted as one aspect of making it a cold house?

Se0samh

Someone in Tackback claimed that Queens in Belfast is a cold house for unionists. GAA tops being highligted as one aspect of making it a cold house?

Same oul' s.hite from the unionist bigots...decade after decade their hostility continues, not content with their contribution to wiping out the language in this part of the world they try to strangle its rebirth.

Mind you things may be changing in the University itself......... https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/queens-university-apologise-after-irish-language-sign-criticism-36705877.html

Mickeymac

Hilarious stuff and the "someone" on TB, should have been asked...........Have you never heard of the unionist promotion of the RHI heating scam?

You simply could not make this stuff up:lol:

raetsel

Unionists seem to be struggling to come to terms with their imminent status as the new minority.
Some like Jim Allister have complained about the demographic mix in Queens but the reality is that it doesn't differ that significantly from the population as a whole.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/education/51-of-northern-ireland-school-pupils-are-catholic-28671003.html
It is hardly surprising that proportionately more nationalist children get third level educations nowadays anyway, given that the top schools are mostly Catholic, as illustrated in the Belfast Telegraph today.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/education/league-tables/revealed-alevel-league-table-for-northern-ireland-schools-2018-36703884.html
Catholic schools have reasserted their academic dominance by taking every one of the top 10 places in this year's A-level league tables.
Seriously, if people are being alienated or intimidated by sporting tops they really need to revise their values. In Northern Ireland the bottom line is that sporting tops of various sorts are often a fairly surefire way of identifying a person's community background, as are other symbols e.g. poppy stickers on cars, or flags outside people's homes. The inability of large sections of our communities to accept the social differences of the other side dooms us forever to live in a self-perpetuating dysfunctional state which will probably hasten Irish unity rather than hinder it. Unionists seem to miss that completely and the majority show few signs of being sincerely committed to reconciliation.

McSlaggart

Seriously, if people are being alienated or intimidated by sporting tops they really need to revise their values. In Northern Ireland the bottom line is that sporting tops of various sorts are often a fairly surefire way of identifying a person's community background, as are other symbols e.g. poppy stickers on cars, or flags outside people's homes. The inability of large sections of our communities to accept the social differences of the other side dooms us forever to live in a self-perpetuating dysfunctional state which will probably hasten Irish unity rather than hinder it. Unionists seem to miss that completely and the majority show few signs of being sincerely committed to reconciliation.
Going to University is supposed to be a place in which you come to terms with the wider world. In Northern Ireland it may also force people to adapt to the cultuer of the place in which they grew up.

Spirit Of Newgrange

the age profile, see my picture below.

Catholics are more likely to go to a good university.

Meanwhile the prods will be doing a Fas course in metalwork - Ulster-Scots version with a special focus on welding for shipbuilding, and the repair of redundant Lambeg drums.

shipbuilding has all gone to the far East. The UK has fallen apart. The Queen's is dead.

Last edited:

Spirit Of Newgrange

former wesleyan

the age profile, see my picture below.

Catholics are more likely to go to a good university.

when/B]- Ulster-Scots version with a special focus on welding for shipbuilding, and the repair of redundant Lambeg drums.

shipbuilding has all gone to the far East. The UK has fallen apart. The Queen's is dead.

They head off to Scotland and England. And when they do they rarely return.

devonish

They head off to Scotland and England. And when they do they rarely return.
I haven't seen any stats on the issue but I personally know quite a few who went to university in England or Scotland and then returned to NI. Having said that, my daughter did her A levels last year and from listening to the roll call of where they were all going at prize evening I'd estimate that at least 50% - 60% of them were heading across the water, only one that I recall going to Dublin which would have been a much more popular choice when I was that age, I gather the conversion of A level grades is penal.

McSlaggart

I haven't seen any stats on the issue but I personally know quite a few who went to university in England or Scotland and then returned to NI. Having said that, my daughter did her A levels last year and from listening to the roll call of where they were all going at prize evening I'd estimate that at least 50% - 60% of them were heading across the water, only one that I recall going to Dublin which would have been a much more popular choice when I was that age, I gather the conversion of A level grades is penal.

I know a lot of Prodestants who's children was heading to Scotland. I have had a few conversations arround the issue of my childrens first passport was an Irish one. They was saying thier was a major advantage in going to scotland with an Irisn passport. (I got an impression that the first one needed to be Irish in order to get the EU status for fees???? )

former wesleyan

Down here the Leaving is a baccalaureate so it's not impossible to rack up 100% which soon becomes the norm.

devonish

I know a lot of Prodestants who's children was heading to Scotland. I have had a few conversations arround the issue of my childrens first passport was an Irish one. They was saying thier was a major advantage in going to scotland with an Irisn passport. (I got an impression that the first one needed to be Irish in order to get the EU status for fees???? )
The issue of getting favourable tuition fees in Scotland is dependent upon primary address not what passport you hold.

Mickeymac

Catholic Grammar schools fill 10 top places for "A" level achievement, the new Ireland will ensure the same standards for all religions, race, culture and color.

McSlaggart

The issue of getting favourable tuition fees in Scotland is dependent upon primary address not what passport you hold.
I got the impression they was applying as an EU citizen in order to get the same fees as Scottish person pays.

McSlaggart

Catholic Grammar schools fill 10 top places for "A" level achievement, the new Ireland will ensure the same standards for all religions, race, culture and color.
I do not think its all down to the schools but also an element of cultural backgound in relation to education and its importance. I dont think that state schools in Northern Ireland would be that much worse than Irish ones????

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies