Question for FG/FF supporters

offalypat

Are you saying that things are great in NI?
Weren't the nurses on strike there a few weeks ago! Waiting lists are a joke when compared to the rest of the UK.
what i am saying if you want anything done in a hurry you would get it done quicker in n.i. than you would get it done in the republic so why is that.

MVOR

I accept that most people worry that downgrading their local hospital services will put their lives in danger but for every patient who's life is saved by fast access to their local hospital, another will have treatment delayed because of lack of expertise. It took a major campaign by the HSE (one of their successes) to convince cancer patients that their prospects were better by travelling to a centre of excellence. The political problem with cancelling services in a local hospital is the campaign that vested interests will run in opposition.
Centres of excellence are a good idea, locating them in Dublin is not. Dublin is already a gridlocked city, locating the centres of excellence there adds to this, costs much more and the staff all need to be paid more and have to waste more on rents etc. If these centres of excellence were located outside Dublin then the patients could get there quicker and would not be adding to the gridlock. Bigger and better centres of excellence could be built since there’s more space and cheaper land. The staff could be paid a little less and would be happier as they’ve more disposable income and everyone’s happy.

Centres of excellence however are not the only facility needed. There‘s a big need for more emergency departments and beds to care for people who don’t need a centre of excellence. This is where the regional hospitals come in. A person having a stroke or heart attack, time is of the essence. We therefore need more ambulances and to keep the regional hospitals open so there’s a chance Jack in Roscommon who has a stroke can arrive alive at a hospital within the hour rather than be DOA in Dublin in 2 - 3 hours. It’s not rocket science, we’re a small country and should be able to strategically locate facilities to provide better care.

Barroso

If the doctor's gig is so good why does the state have such difficulties filling in rural schemes ?
Rural life is not so attractive for the youth of today. It's known as "rural flight", and has been going on for quite a while now. Doctors are not immune to societal changes. The drive from Belmullet for an evening at the Abbey - or even at the Druid - is very long and tiresome.
Also, the rural GP tends to be a lone practitioner in many cases, or at most runs a joint practice with one or in the best of cases two others. This means they are on call at weekends and nights.
This model of society & practice is worked out. People don't want to do it anymore, and where there is an alternative available, it will be taken.
I'm familiar with some areas of the continent.
In one particular area that I know well, small towns tend to have a state-run primary care centre, open night and day. You travel in to the town and get attended to. By day, a variety of health services are provided, at night it's a single doctor, who is a public servant (as are all staff BTW). Anything difficult and they will call an ambulance.
This is a better model than what we currently have IMO.

Last edited:

ruman

All parties have signed up for the same Slainte Care so it matters little which is in government. Additionally the CMO Tony Holohan and Director General Jim Breslin wont change no matter who is in power.

Health spend remains above the OECD average and our population remains younger than many other EU countries. Poor management and gross inefficiencies are the main problem with our health service. There is even less chance of SF tackling the vested interest groups than FG so there will be no reform.

What we are likely to see is a return to the policies of FF namely throwing ever more money at the HSE with little or no improvement in services for patients yet ever increasing salaries for the usual suspects and ever more HSE managers.

Long term our best hope is that FFSF crash the economy again and the troika are brought back to implement the radical reform FGLab should have done in 2011.

wombat

Long term our best hope is that FFSF crash the economy again and the troika are brought back to implement the radical reform FGLab should have done in 2011.
Long term, we'll all be dead. The crash was no joke for most people, especially those at the bottom of the income ladder, you don't need to burn your house down if you want to renovate it.

ruman

Long term, we'll all be dead. The crash was no joke for most people, especially those at the bottom of the income ladder, you don't need to burn your house down if you want to renovate it.
No it wasnt. I fear in years to come we'll look back on our current situation and reflect on how good we had it. Time will tell i guess.

The FGlab failure to introduce the radical reform necessary in 2011 has come back to bite them.
Sadly nothing i have heard from SF suggests they are any different to FF and i'm terribly amused at this idea that they are "left wing".

Bring in the Germans.

wombat

The FGlab failure to introduce the radical reform necessary in 2011 has come back to bite them.
Sadly nothing i have heard from SF suggests they are any different to FF and i'm terribly amused at this idea that they are "left wing".
The mistake, I believe was in forming a govt between 2 parties who had offered people opposite choices which is why I would oppose a FGSF coalition, it would satisfy no one. I prefer the idea of SF in charge of housing as I agree that we need more state built houses whereas FF would offer incentives to their developer mates.

brughahaha

All parties have signed up for the same Slainte Care so it matters little which is in government.
Yeah FG signed up for it ...didnt implement it though

Additionally the CMO Tony Holohan and Director General Jim Breslin wont change no matter who is in power.
Due to a failure by Fg and FF Tds to make the public service accountable in their 70 years in office ...you are merely pointing to even more FF and FG failures

Health spend remains above the OECD average and our population remains younger than many other EU countries. Poor management and gross inefficiencies are the main problem with our health service. There is even less chance of SF tackling the vested interest groups than FG so there will be no reform.

What we are likely to see is a return to the policies of FF namely throwing ever more money at the HSE with little or no improvement in services for patients yet ever increasing salaries for the usual suspects and ever more HSE managers.
Again ...9 years FG have had ...and its worse , far far worse , so taking potshots and how bad others MIGHT be is faintly ridiculous given how truly appalling FG have been in government

Awww Diddums ..throwing your toys out of the pram

You are the quintessential problem Ireland has ....Loyal to a party and refusing to see or accept , god forbid criticise 9 years of utter ineptitude and incompetence and a Government run for the benefit of the few not the many.

Reflect on that if your family desperately needs any Public or Health Services .......that YOU are part of the reason why its not there

brughahaha

If the doctor's gig is so good why does the state have such difficulties filling in rural schemes ?
Not suprised
Wouldnt swap shoes with my GP for love nor money ....don't care how much he/she earns.
The clinic is rammed full from Morning to Evening ..... They work their socks off as far as I can see

ruman

Yeah FG signed up for it ...didnt implement it though

Due to a failure by Fg and FF Tds to make the public service accountable in their 70 years in office ...you are merely pointing to even more FF and FG failures

Again ...9 years FG have had ...and its worse , far far worse , so taking potshots and how bad others MIGHT be is faintly ridiculous given how truly appalling FG have been in government

Awww Diddums ..throwing your toys out of the pram

You are the quintessential problem Ireland has ....Loyal to a party and refusing to see or accept , god forbid criticise 9 years of utter ineptitude and incompetence and a Government run for the benefit of the few not the many.

Reflect on that if your family desperately needs any Public or Health Services .......that YOU are part of the reason why its not there

Doesnt bother me mate. I have no faith in any politician and see blind loyalty to any party as childish. There are good and bad representatives in all parties.

I look after my family myself thanks, all i ask is the state doesnt steal too much of my money to enrich its cronies.

Which party do you believe i am "loyal to" incidentally ? :LOL:

No Irish party is prepared to take on the vested interest groups in the health service. I've repeatedly stated on here i would like to see Germany take over the running of a pan european health service.

riker1969

All parties have signed up for the same Slainte Care so it matters little which is in government. Additionally the CMO Tony Holohan and Director General Jim Breslin wont change no matter who is in power.

I think you are wrong about which party is power matters to slainte care. The amount per year invested is not set. The controller and auditor said it would take 20 years at the current rate of investment to have local primary care centers in every region planned

wombat

I think you are wrong about which party is power matters to slainte care. The amount per year invested is not set. The controller and auditor said it would take 20 years at the current rate of investment to have local primary care centers in every region planned
That's the job of govt, to choose priorities whereas an opposition only needs to complain. :)

ruman

Our health spend is above the OECD average. Lack of investment is not the problem with the health service gross mismanagement and inefficiency is. None of the 3 main parties has shown any indication of being willing to address that. If we are serious about improving the health service the troika will need to be brought back.

Slainte care is likely to be an ATM for the usual vested interest groups.
The recent resignation of Patient Representative Mark Molloy from the HSE board shows patients remain the lowest priority within the irish health service.

LISTOWEL MAN

i went to secondary school with an IRA supporter , he believed Jerry McCabe was "killed" by drug dealers

he also thought sexual abuse was funny , we were inside science class one day and he made (what he thought was) a joke about his cousin getting raped

his father was inside the youth club one night and he told people to masturbate ..

"Pull your mickey" he said

when i asked him about his behaviour he made threats.. "You better watch it" he told me

drjimryan2

I reckon MM will do a 'sargent'....negociate the deal and then step down......

With Lisa Chambers and Timmy Dooley gone the question is who will lead FF?.......

I'll put my pound on Dara Calleary....

Last edited:

wombat

I reckon MM will do a 'sargent'....negociate the deal and then step down......
Doesn't look like it. He plans to do a deal with Greens & SDs and then approach FG for a deal I'd say he'll get the job and hang around for 2 years.

james toney

Dear party supporters
Do you mind telling me why anybody should vote for your parties based on the state of the health service?
You have been involved in every government in this state as the major party. Only once did you not have finance
I appreciate that the health service is still way better than it was before the Celtic tiger started .
I am a teacher so hardly qualified to work out what's wrong with the service overall but I am outraged by the following
Kids not getting speech therapy at a crucial time in their lives
Waiting lists bugger than the UK despite variance in population
Cancer patients getting worse treatment because of no insurance.
The same applies to those with arthritis who are often just given neurifin if they have no access to a consultant
I'm pretty certain most of my facts are spot on.
Why oh why should we give you four more years based on the above ??
They won't care about all that..and never did....what they will be hoping for is some emergency to deflect from how bad both of them really are :rolleyes:

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom