Questions on EU Fisheries Policy

FrCrilly

Hi All,

I have heard a number of arguments on Ireland’s fisheries being taken from us by the EU to the tune of billions making us a significant net contributor to the EU.

I have a few questions on this:

1. Where was this incredible fisheries money before we joined the EU.

If these figures are true, then I would think that Irish fishing villages would have been quite wealthy luring people from the rest of the country to set up home there. I am not aware of any evidence that supports this wealth or economic migration.

2. If they can use our fisheries, can we not equally use theirs?

It strikes me that the EU putting all fishing territories together and allowing equal access for all would have many practical benefits. Since fish stocks are not aware of different countries fishing boundaries, equal access would allow all EU fishermen to target areas where fish are most densely populated regardless of whose territory they are in and thus allow more efficient fishing.

3. Do Irish fishermen still benefit most from our fishing territory?

I would think that Irish fisherman would still benefit most from our fishing territory on the simple grounds of practical distance. In terms of delivering a boat’s catch to land before returning to sea, surely it would be more practical for a Portugese fisherman to stay near Portugal and an Irish fisherman to stay near Ireland.

The above are just my thoughts.

I have no expertise in the Irish fishing industry.

I am here to learn.

I welcome all information related to the above questions.

Thanks In Advance for all responses.

Congalltee

1. Pre-1972 Irish waters were under-utilised
The government chose farmers over fishermen’s potential.
Since 1972 Irish waters were over utilised.

2. Fish don’t understand national borders in the sea.
Post Brexit should be fun.
But the UK government will shaft fishermen by chosing another sector.

3. The EU has fishing territory not ireland.

It’s great to see posters showing humility by declaring how they want to learn and by asking questions demonstrating how much they need to learn.

runwiththewind

When Ireland joined the EEC our politicans didn't have a clue about the value of our fishing industry. Because of that, it was impossible for successive governments to visualise its value into the future.

Prior to that, the fishing industry survived on its own with little imput from government.

For centuries, the British leased our waters to the Spanish that the Spanish now see Irish waters as their traditional fishing grounds.

Irish waters are a significant in an EU context as we have a quarter of the waters. Our gombeen politicans gave away a huge source of our potential wealth in their ignorance of its nett worth in return for subsidised CAP. Sold gold and got paper in return.

Iceland's wealth comes from the ocean. Iceland was not so foolish.

Eire1976

The British were reaping the reward of our waters for years before the EU.
The Irish fishing fleet is very small and underdeveloped and will remain so as the domestic market for fish is actually quiet small when compared to Norway.

The EU fishing deal was to let others into our under fished waters to take for themselves.

Our waters have been made theirs.

Sweet Darling

Before we joined the EEC we had a very small fishing fleet, because the Irish considered eating fish a Penances due to having to eat it on a Friday due to Catholic superstition. When we were negotiating our membership and read out all the goodies we will be getting. Then it came time for us to declare what we are bringing to the table.?
So we gave them fishing rights as we didn't have much of a use for it.
As we were now in a market that offered a big fishing eating community.
the number of fishing boats here increased ten fold.
The farming sector was enriched at the expense of fishing.

brughahaha

1. Pre-1972 Irish waters were under-utilised
The government chose farmers over fishermen’s potential.
Since 1972 Irish waters were over utilised.

2. Fish don’t understand national borders in the sea.
Post Brexit should be fun.
But the UK government will shaft fishermen by chosing another sector.

3. The EU has fishing territory not ireland.

It’s great to see posters showing humility by declaring how they want to learn and by asking questions demonstrating how much they need to learn.
point 1 is correct ..points 2 and 3 nonsense

we (Irish ) catch 40 different species in UK territorial waters .We do that for a reason , because thats where the best fish are

Add in the reduced fishing stocks excluding UK divvied up , whats left will be even scarcer

Indeed some posters need to learn ....but they will learn very quickly and the hard way if its a hard brexit

valamhic

I attended the IREXIT event at the RDS in =Dublin yesterday. Counted 462 (excluding the panel). Key note speech by Nigel Farage and an interview with Mr Farage with John Watters. High spirits all round. Hopefully its the start of getting us out ASAP.

benroe

Hi All,

I have heard a number of arguments on Ireland’s fisheries being taken from us by the EU to the tune of billions making us a significant net contributor to the EU.

I have a few questions on this:

1. Where was this incredible fisheries money before we joined the EU.

If these figures are true, then I would think that Irish fishing villages would have been quite wealthy luring people from the rest of the country to set up home there. I am not aware of any evidence that supports this wealth or economic migration.
So these are all very complicated questions but,

1, The Irish fleet before the EEC was small ,underfunded and BIM (Bord Iascaigh Mhara), our government agency was a joke, we had no markets for the fish we landed.
We received a quota when we joined the EEC that was about double what we could catch and it took a few years to catch up, but catch up we did.

2. If they can use our fisheries, can we not equally use theirs?
Yes, we are allowed catch 4% of fish in Germany's waters, about the same as their quota in our waters, unfortunately its not viable for Irish vessels to fish their waters because there are no fish left there and their waters make up about 0.000001% of EU waters and ours make up about 50%. We have by far and away the largest fishing grounds in the EU.

3. Do Irish fishermen still benefit most from our fishing territory?
No, we never benefited most from our own grounds, at present we get about 13% of what could reasonably be classed as our waters.

If the question is, could our fisheries sustain us should we leave the EU, then the answer is no, our grounds are to vast to patrol on our own, our fishermen are too greedy to keep the fishing sustainable and our most profitable fish stocks, mackerel and scad only pass through our waters and could easily be caught before they reach our shores.

wombat

The reason we don't have as developed a fishing fleet as Spain is that we don't eat fish to the same extent. I remember speaking to a Mussel farmer in Bantry and his main market was in France - personally, I couldn't be bothered eating Mussels - I'm sure I'm not alone in that taste. Currently, Irish trawlers employ foreign crews, Irish people choose other ways of making a living. Its great to blame the EU but the truth is that the Irish fishing industry is centred in a few ports and has little attraction for most Irish workers.

Analyzer

Before we joined the EEC we had a very small fishing fleet, because the Irish considered eating fish a Penances due to having to eat it on a Friday due to Catholic superstition. When we were negotiating our membership and read out all the goodies we will be getting. Then it came time for us to declare what we are bringing to the table.?
So we gave them fishing rights as we didn't have much of a use for it.
As we were now in a market that offered a big fishing eating community.
the number of fishing boats here increased ten fold.
The farming sector was enriched at the expense of fishing.
I think you have run out of cliches.

New Threads

Most Replies