• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Quiet Suburbia, small kids at play, and idiots driving at a 100km's per hour

Spirit Of Newgrange

Does anybody else get irked by the speed many drivers travel through quiet estates when there are, clearly, large numbers of kids playing all about the vicinity ? Often the speeders actually live in the neighbourhood themselves. Having spoken with a number of people, this seems to be rife throughout the country.
Meanwhile the Gardaí seem to have most of their speed-traps on the kind of busy roads that never have kids playing nearby. Is it possible that the Gardaí are inadvertently saving the lives of more drivers than pedestrians in their battle against speeding.
So, thoughts, observations, opinions. Please keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.

Stopping Distances : Pedestrian Injury Simulator

Socratus O' Pericles

Ramps =the only answer.

firefly123

Perhaps harsher fines and penalty points for areas deemed to be high risk. So schools and estates etc.

toconn

Couldn't agree more with the OP ! You have to wonder with the type of moron who drives like this. I live on a boreen in Kerry here and risk life and limb sometimes just walking out the gateway as on occasions some retard flies past despite the fact there are numerous drives , kids playing , cyclists etc.
What doesn't help is that there are bloody signs telling said morons they can legally drive at 80 kph down these lanes despite Varadker dec,airing over two years ago the speed limits would be sorted out .....typical Ireland ....nothing happened !

Spirit Of Newgrange

Why are small kids playing on the roads?
because the roads are beside the playground/green/park whatever. When chasing a stray football or playing a game on bicycles the kids are largely oblivious to much else.

Franzoni

As most of the above....i live in an area that has become a 'rat run' in the last 10 years and we have ramps....no deterrent it seems... some people don't care about their cars and hitting ramps at high speed...

Some of the worst offenders i've witnessed are women with kids in the car especially in the mornings coming close to opening time for the schools....

I reckon average speed area's like they have in the UK would put a stop to some of this nonsense........

Watcher2

Ramps =the only answer.
I agree but they are woefully expensive, over priced and a rip off. The last time our residents committee looked into it, each ramp was going to cost 10grand and planning permission etc. I'd be just as happy to lay some concrete in a proper way, or get the Tarmac myself but the local council would on us like a flash even if the purpose was health and safety.

shoneen

What I find strange is the demographic of the people I see speeding in these built-up areas. You expect them to be 20-something boy-racers, but the majority I see are middle-aged men and young women.

Watcher2

Perhaps harsher fines and penalty points for areas deemed to be high risk. So schools and estates etc.
Enforcement is the problem, or lack of it ore to the point. When was the last time you saw a checkpoint/speed camera by a school?

Analyzer

Get them on your smartphone, and tell the gardai to set up a speed trap.

Thoses boyos don't like speed traps.

Watcher2

As most of the above....i live in an area that has become a 'rat run' in the last 10 years and we have ramps....no deterrent it seems... some people don't care about their cars and hitting ramps at high speed...

Some of the worst offenders i've witnessed are women with kids in the car especially in the mornings coming close to opening time for the schools....

I reckon average speed area's like they have in the UK would put a stop to some of this nonsense........
Try the ramps on the way into drogheda train station. All drivers respect them. They look quite harmless, but hit them at anything above 15kph and new shocks will be on order fairly soon.

Spirit Of Newgrange

You get lots of speedtraps on busy roads where the published speed limit is, say, 50km. Lots of cars, lots of fines, lots of money into the State.
Quiet estates only have small throughput and may only have a speeder once every hour, not enough to be lucrative to the Gardaí, but easily enough to kill kids.

toconn

Enforcement is the problem, or lack of it ore to the point. When was the last time you saw a checkpoint/speed camera by a school?
Spot on watcher2 ! I wonder what the guards are at sometimes , you never see them ... And don't get me started on the knobheads performing stunts like donuts etc all over the place at night....they have no fear of been caught or dealt with.

Ribeye

Stand in the middle of the road,

Works every time, makes the driver look like a total idiot,

I did it on Thursday on gardiner st to some twit in an Astra, it was really sunny and there were loads of people around,

The guy was "scarleh" as they say in Dublin 1:)

eoghanacht

The Garda and the speed vans are there to collect revenue for the state.

They claim they only put the vans where there have been a high rate of car accidents. If my experience of them is anything to go by they aren't placed any where near these places but on long straight roads were drivers are more likely to build up speed

Tea Party Patriot

Where is the last time you see a check point / speed camera anywhere other than the usual spots for easy pickings where the speed limits are absurdly low. You will never see cameras out to check for overtaking on the brows of hills which done even within the speed limit is deadly. The attitude of the traffic core seems to be to catch them in the safe places where motorists are tempted to exceed very low speed limits. Also a high proportion of our fatal crashes occur on country roads, not national roads or motorways, yet I have never seen a speed trap on one of these.

Tea Party Patriot

Stand in the middle of the road,

Works every time, makes the driver look like a total idiot,

I did it on Thursday on gardiner st to some twit in an Astra, it was really sunny and there were loads of people around,

The guy was "scarleh" as they say in Dublin 1:)
That is known as J walking and is just as bad a behaviour as dangerous driving.

Franzoni

Try the ramps on the way into drogheda train station. All drivers respect them. They look quite harmless, but hit them at anything above 15kph and new shocks will be on order fairly soon.
Yeah i drive a van the odd time and there are spots where ramps are effective...on the way into Rush is another one that you don't want to be hitting at speed..

Unfortunately the ones where i live are the type with the gaps inbetween that you can comfortably drive over at a fair lick...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies