• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Quinn Family target Anglo

mairteenpak

The Quinn family have taken a 15% stake in Anglo Irish Bank. Could this be a takeover bid?

red365

mairteenpak said:
The Quinn family have taken a 15% stake in Anglo Irish Bank. Could this be a takeover bid?
Good man Niall! Does this mean he'll have to quite Sunderland?

Anorakphobia

For love of God man where have you been?

Sean Quinn already owns 15% of Anglo at prices up to 4 times the current price and is sitting on losses of between 1.3 and 1.8 billion on this.
It is quite probably the single most catastrophic investment in the history of the Irish stock market.
All he is doing is converting it from CFDs to actual stock.

Everyone knows he has taken a monstrous loss on this but the sclae revealed this morning has really taken people a back.
I had heard figures of perhaps 12-13% but Anglo spinners were rubbishing it saying 4-5%.

There is no takeover here, just a man who has lost a collossal amount of money announcing to the World that there is little point in getting out now that 75% of his investment has been wiped out.

This from a man who 6 months ago told RTE the most he gambles is 50p a hand on a weekly game of cards:shock:

Clever move as can't be delisted with holding 15% and probably a bit more of that as well.

IF Anglo becomes in play then he will be the kingmaker.

As a lon term investor what the share price does now is not that important as all banks have taken a hit but in 3 years times a reasonable forecast is that most bank shares will have doubled in value.

mairteenpak

They had little choice as the share price fell. Someone else might have moved.

Anorakphobia

odie1kanobe said:
Clever move as can't be delisted with holding 15% and probably a bit more of that as well.

As a lon term investor what the share price does now is not that important as all banks have taken a hit but in 3 years times a reasonable forecast is that most bank shares will have doubled in value.
oh jesus wept are you serious?
He bought up at 14-15 and 16 euro and you are calling him clever and a potential kingmaker.
Sean Quinn is in a lousy lousy position now and if you think losing perhaps up to 2bn on a stock punt is in anyway "clever", i fear for you.

theyshootPDsdontthey

Quinn would in his rock and roll be kingmaker.
Your average Saudi prince spends more money on luxury cars at the weekend than what Quinn's stake is worth.

stanley

This amount of investment will have cost Quinn a lot of cash and nobody in Irl has that kinda dough knocking about in the current account which means he borrowed (most likely) and put up security against it.
In a falling property market his security if it is property will be under pressure and whatever bank has the borrowing will be noticing a funny smell in the room.
Most of his businesses will be under pressure and a lot of the development he does in EE is long term.

mairteenpak

It is unlikely to be a bumper year for the Quinn Group construction materials sector.

Anorakphobia

Good man Stanley, finally someone who undertsands.
And finally someone who says what half of Dublin is saying this morning.
Where does someone just get perhaps 2 billion cash out of thin air in this enviornment?

The vast majority of Sean Quinn's supposed wealth was based on an estimate of the value of the Quinn Group.
Given that Irish Life is now worth barely 1 billion, would anyone seriously pay anymore than this in the current climate for a private Insurance company who has just fired their rating agency?
Maybe but i doubt it.

The figures don't add up unless you work on the assumption he has borrowed, but who would be interested in lending that sort of twine in the current climate? Who I wonder?

Anorakphobia said:
odie1kanobe said:

He bought up at 14-15 and 16 euro and you are calling him clever and a potential kingmaker.
Sean Quinn is in a lousy lousy position now and if you think losing perhaps up to 2bn on a stock punt is in anyway "clever", i fear for you.
Given his position he has just ensured no one else can buy up.

Bank stocks are artifically low at this present moment in time so he is making sure when it bounces as it will he is in a prime position.

Anglo are 25% of their peak but then again so are RBS.

I would love to be in lousy position that he is.

Given his borrowings are likely with Anglo he has zilch to lose and it all looks like an upside.

meriwether

odie1kanobe said:
Anorakphobia said:
odie1kanobe said:

Bank stocks are artifically low at this present moment in time so he is making sure when it bounces as it will he is in a prime position.

Given his borrowings are likely with Anglo he has zilch to lose and it all looks like an upside.
Will they bounce back to what he paid for them?

Anorakphobia

odie1kanobe said:
Anorakphobia said:
odie1kanobe said:

I don't like giving glib one line answers but your post is so wrong I will make an exception.
Are you on drugs?

He didn't buy at today's levels he bought at up to FOUR times todays levels.
His 15% stake that he paid perhaps 2.5billion for is now worth less than 0.5billion.
Can I make it any clearer for you?

All he did this morning was to convert a monstrous paper loss into a monstrous ACTUAL loss.

BTW
Anglo is off in excess of 75% from its peak

Anorakphobia said:
odie1kanobe said:
Anorakphobia said:
odie1kanobe said:

I don't like giving glib one line answers but your post is so wrong I will make an exception.
Are you on drugs?

He didn't buy at today's levels he bought at up to FOUR times todays levels.
His 15% stake that he paid perhaps 2.5billion for is now worth less than 0.5billion.
Can I make it any clearer for you?
Wow so you now the intricate dealings of the Quinn family.......guess not so stop trying to claim you do.
Stay off the drugs too as you tend to start abusive posts when you use them.

Your suggested €2 billion loss is in your head.

Given that all banks are at artificial lows then a sit and wait is clearly the best option.

Course you will no doubt come up with a better strategy but then again you aren't a billionaire.

stanley

odie1kanobe said:
Anorakphobia said:
odie1kanobe said:

To put it more simply for you if his shares in Anglo were a house when he bought 2 years ago he would be now living in the garden shed and renting out the house to pay for his borrowings, Quinn is in the smelly stuff bigtime.
He may have property borrowings with Anglo but there is no way they will have been financing him to buy Anglo's shares.

Anorakphobia

I might not be a billionaire but guess what, from where I'm standing using any rational measurement criteria, neither might Sean Quinn!

As for you claim that a potential loss of 2 billion on his Anglo punt could not have been incurred well ok, try the following.

He has this morning admitted that he has long been a holder of at least 15% of Anglo.
The dogs in the street know the vast majority of this was bought close to peak levels.
IE
He bought at least 15% of Anglo when Anglo was probably at least a 12 billion market cap company.
That is an investment of at least 1.8n.
If he sold that shareholding this morning he would be unlikely to receive more than 300m, leaving him with a capital loss of 1.5billion.
In addition he would have paid 2 years funding at at least 6% on the total position and this could amount to another 2-300m
So suggesting a total loss (to date!) on his Anglo punting of up to 2 billion is in no ways outlandish.
particularly as many in Dublin this morning have suggested that at times he may have held in excess of the reported 15%.

Now if you have any other rational measurement criteria to apply to this catastrophic share punt loss debate, I am all ears.
If it's just guff and insults you want to trade to disguise your ignorance of these matters, I' will bid you good day.

stanley said:
odie1kanobe said:
Anorakphobia said:
odie1kanobe said:

To put it more simply for you if his shares in Anglo were a house when he bought 2 years ago he would be now living in the garden shed and renting out the house to pay for his borrowings, Quinn is in the smelly stuff bigtime.
He may have property borrowings with Anglo but there is no way they will have been financing him to buy Anglo's shares.
He wouldn't be as until such time as he sells its a paper loss but then again as everybody else is suffering the same with banking shares then their is no appetite for chasing it down.

Anglo have enough lending with him that they aren't going to push any foreclosure on any loans, in effect he has ensured his borrowing with them are untouched. Bank won't foreclose on a significant shareholder who is not a part of an aggressive takeover. Depending on other shareholdings he may have effective control anyway.

He is sitting in a good position.

stanley

The monies to purchase the Anglo share of 1.5/2bn will not have come from Anglo and whilst it may be only a paper loss at the moment there is no Jesus out there to push the shares back to the levels he purchased at.

Anorakphobia

He wouldn't be as until such time as he sells its a paper loss but then again as everybody else is suffering the same with banking shares then their is no appetite for chasing it down. Hopelessly wrong again.
His monstrous cash loss would have materialised this morning when he cut his 15% cfd position and exchanged it for actual stock.

And even if he hadn't exchanged it for stock, do you seriously think the CFD provider has been saying all along
"ah sure it's only a paper loss, settle up with us whenever you chose to exit"

Also, if I choose to buy a few hundred thousand shares in BOI, does that give me the right not to pay my mortgage to them?
Or worse still as you have clearly stated, they won't bother pursuing me for payment of it?

You are out of your depth here Obie.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies