Quotes of the collapse

civilserpant

Some say it's 'the wave', other '€8 a bond', for me, its this:

“Our proposal to establish an Asset Management Agency has received the backing of the IMF and the ECB. It is also clear that the proposal has credibility in the financial markets. Since its announcement, the cost of borrowing by the State has fallen by 1.5% for 10 year money; tangible evidence that the Government’s strategy is already working.

Brian Lenihan, Sept 16th, 2009

and on the same day

“The flow of credit is essential to the proper functioning of the economy and all of the Government’s actions to stabilise the banks have been undertaken in order to ensure that the financial system continues to fulfil its essential functions in providing credit for businesses and individuals. The establishment of NAMA and the removal of identified risky assets from the balance sheets of participating institutions should in itself improve credit supply.”

“A soft landing is not so much unlikely as contradictory. Suppose that house prices really were expected to level off, then the owners of the tens of thousands of empty houses and apartments can expect no further capital gains and should cash in their investments. Why pay a mortgage on an empty apartment that has stopped rising in value? As speculators rush for the exit, prices will crash.

It is not implausible that prices could fall - relative to income - by 40-50 per cent.”

Morgan Kelly, Irish Times, Dec 28th, 2006

civilserpant

Since its announcement, the cost of borrowing by the State has fallen by 1.5% for 10 year money; tangible evidence that the Government’s strategy is already working.”

I wonder would Brian agree that since the revense is now very, very true, that the Government's strategy is failing.

Gadfly

I wonder would Brian agree that since the revense is now very, very true, that the Government's strategy is failing.
Not at all, the government strategy is a thundering success, while these little reverses are due to the negativism of assorted begrudgers.

How does it go - operation successful, but the patient died.

EvotingMachine0197

HarshBuzz

'the most vulnerable'

'taking the hard choices'

'our strategy is working, we have turned the corner'

constitutionus

the first two to leap to mind was

1 . "ebbs and flows ! "

and

2. "i dont accept that"

2 seems to be the answer to anything dealing with reality these days.

:)

Sierra

Like many of the above two things stick out in my mind . . .

Well I don't accept that. We have turned the corner.

;)

Mondo

A lot done. More to do.

Reminds me of old election poster slogan of Bertie's.

"A LOT DONE. MORE TO DO."

It's clear now that they were referring to DAMAGE.

Libero

Hard to beat this one, still up in all its glory [amd with my emphasis] on the DoF website

The bank [Anglo] is large in Irish terms and its assets include around €70 billion in loans and advances to customers. These are not ‘bad debts’ as some people try to suggest. As with any bank, there is a mixture of mostly good loans and some that are distressed. Many have asked what the implications will be for the State if there are very significant losses on loans in Anglo Irish Bank – and it is clear that there will be losses on some of the loans. It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged. There is around €7 billion of shareholder funds and other capital available to offset any losses on the loan book, in addition to ongoing pre-loan-loss profits which have been very significant in Anglo’s case. Anglo Irish Bank’s position is secured by the nationalisation and the Government can work with the new Chairman and Board to extract the optimal value from Anglo’s loan book and to minimise the taxpayer’s exposure.

The Government has estimated that, for the Irish banking system as a whole, and allowing for a large degree of stress, it would be appropriate to allow for capital injections into the main banks of the order of €10 billion in total. Within this €10 billion, I would have allowed for a capital injection into Anglo, to offset potential loan losses, maintain its capital base on a sound footing and leave a prudent margin for error in current circumstances.

danger here

"Ebbshhh and Flowshhh,Ebbshhh and Flowshhh"

B.Cowen,The Blazers Bar,Ardilaun Hotel Galway September 2010

Partizan

Never mind all that "turning the corner" and "we are where we are" guff from Clowen and Lenny. If there ever was a quote to sum up this whole sorry episode, the award goes to Da Bert for this gem.

Take it away Bert.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjGSfuSQpA"]YouTube - I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide - Bertie Ahern[/ame]

Casillas

The 'smart economy' drives me nuts. We don't even had a fully functioning broadband infrastructure.

Furze

We are where we are

anfieldabff

The cheapest banking bailout in Europe

Lendahand:
"The cheapest banking bailout in europe" or was it the world?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies