Race Matters: John Connors on the USA.

O

Oscurito

I missed the first one of the two documentaries on Monday night (RTÉ2) but got it yesterday on the RTÉ Player. You can watch it here.

In it, he meets with African-American communities in various parts of the country to discuss the challenges they face - especially racism, and violence within the community. There's a particular focus on Chicago (see map below) which is described in the documentary as the most racially segregated city in the USA. Basically, the white folks have deserted south Chicago and have moved north and west. Connors speaks of mile after mile of grim streets where you wouldn't see one white face. One of the activists he spoke to didn't encounter one white person until he was in his thirties.

Connors - being a Traveller - very eloquently brings his own experiences to bear on the issues and reflects how, as a non-American white man newly arrived in the country, he - despite being a foreigner - will immediately have access to a social status that many if not most African-Americans never will.

Some of the footage of police shootings of African-American males is quite graphic and if I were to make one criticism of the documentary, it's that people should be warned about that in advance.

Going by the article below, the second of the two documentaries deals with Native Americans and if last Monday night's program is anything to go by, it will be well worth the watch.

'I felt at home' - Love/Hate's John Connors on his American race odyssey - Independent.ie

silverharp

in other news rain is wet? whats new?

Betson

Some of the footage of police shootings of African-American males is quite graphic and if I were to make one criticism of the documentary, it's that people should be warned about that in advance.
I did not see it , but I hope they did not overly focus on police shootings , while important they are a drop in the ocean to black on black shootings happening there every night. Black leaders need to stand up more and demand that black people stop killing each other in such huge numbers.

Bubbleheaded

I haven't watched it, and don't intend to, but I assume the blame lies squarely with white people, and, just like black people, travellers would be a blameless happy master race if it weren't for those pesky whiteys?

Brenny

I've never seen such a zealous disciple of the Cult of Victimhood as John Connors. If it rained on him he'd conclude that it only happened cause he's a traveller. Amazing how the Cult of Victimhood can make an Irish white fella feel like a black fella.

Edit: I since went and watched the program. Connors seems to be developing a more nuanced appraisal of things . He was way more lucid than he was during his Late Late appearance.

Last edited:

stopdoingstuff

I've never seen such a zealous disciple of the Cult of Victimhood as John Connors. If it rained on him he'd conclude that it only happened cause he's a traveller. Amazing how the Cult of Victimhood can make an Irish white fella feel like a black fella.
John Connors is a legend. He shot Nidge.

O

Oscurito

I did not see it , but I hope they did not overly focus on police shootings , while important they are a drop in the ocean to black on black shootings happening there every night. Black leaders need to stand up more and demand that black people stop killing each other in such huge numbers.
Most of the program focused on black-on-black violence and the efforts of community activists to campaign against it.

O

Oscurito

I haven't watched it, and don't intend to, but I assume the blame lies squarely with white people, and, just like black people, travellers would be a blameless happy master race if it weren't for those pesky whiteys?
You haven't watched it and you don't intend because God forbid that you might have your preconceptions challenged. :roll:

See my reply to Betson.

O

Oscurito

You haven't watched it either, right?

Well done on getting your couple of likes.

Brenny

You haven't watched it either, right?

Well done on getting your couple of likes.

My apologies, you're right I haven't watched it. I only know John Connors from his appearance on the Late Late. The man made no sense whatsoever there. He actually seemed to be suffering from some sort of mental illness. I'll give the program a watch tonight and I'll report back here. Maybe he just didn't come across well on the LAte Late.

Betson

Most of the program focused on black-on-black violence and the efforts of community activists to campaign against it.
Good to hear , but I would really like to see professional activists like AL Sharpton take his face out of a camera for two minutes and see could he focus more attention of what is going in cities like Chicago among black gangs having wild west shootouts every night and innocent people getting caught up in it every week.

JimmyFoley

I missed the first one of the two documentaries on Monday night (RTÉ2) but got it yesterday on the RTÉ Player. You can watch it here.

In it, he meets with African-American communities in various parts of the country to discuss the challenges they face - especially racism, and violence within the community. There's a particular focus on Chicago (see map below) which is described in the documentary as the most racially segregated city in the USA. Basically, the white folks have deserted south Chicago and have moved north and west. Connors speaks of mile after mile of grim streets where you wouldn't see one white face. One of the activists he spoke to didn't encounter one white person until he was in his thirties.

Connors - being a Traveller - very eloquently brings his own experiences to bear on the issues and reflects how, as a non-American white man newly arrived in the country, he - despite being a foreigner - will immediately have access to a social status that many if not most African-Americans never will.

Going by the article below, the second of the two documentaries deals with Native Americans and if last Monday night's program is anything to go by, it will be well worth the watch.

'I felt at home' - Love/Hate's John Connors on his American race odyssey - Independent.ie
Didn't encounter one White til he was in his 30s?! Hmmm...

Bubbleheaded

You haven't watched it and you don't intend because God forbid that you might have your preconceptions challenged. :roll:

See my reply to Betson.
Could be that, or, it could be that I have seen enough of Mr. Connors one-trick-pony show to know exactly how deep he will look into the problems of any community (answer, until he sees the hand of the evil white man). Connors is a perpetual victim, railing against the people who support his "community" hand over fist. He screeches about the perception of travellers, while portraying them exactly the way he doesn't want them perceived. A useful idiot if ever there was one.

ShoutingIsLeadership

At least you're keeping an open mind.

PeaceGoalie

Let's hope Connors stays in the USA and brings family members there. Will mean less of a demand for locksmiths here, though.

One of the Sinn Feiners from Donegal, either the current TD or the yob who lost his seat, said he'd personally ensure any Sinn Feiner dissing travellers would get f-d out of the Movement. As I'd imagine most Sinn Feiners abhor them, I was surprised by his utterance

O

Oscurito

Could be that, or, it could be that I have seen enough of Mr. Connors one-trick-pony show to know exactly how deep he will look into the problems of any community (answer, until he sees the hand of the evil white man). Connors is a perpetual victim, railing against the people who support his "community" hand over fist. He screeches about the perception of travellers, while portraying them exactly the way he doesn't want them perceived. A useful idiot if ever there was one.
You're not far off being a walking talking stereotype yourself.

Could you forget for one hour that he's a Traveller and instead see him for what he is to non-Irish people: a big, white Irish guy with a camera in parts of Chicago where white people hardly ever go any more, certainly not with a camera. Okay, he was with people that were respected in the community most of the time but there were hairy moments when they had to get off the street in double quick time because lots of folks aren't fans of whitey around there.

He refers in passing to anti-Traveller discrimination in Ireland but concedes that the situation in the USA is far worse.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies