• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Racist trolls force operator of @ireland twitter account to depart

automaticforthepeople

The operator of the @ireland twitter account has been forced to leave the account as a result of racist abuse. The account was managed by Michelle Marie on behalf of Irish Central from Monday with a view to her managing it for 1 week.
She suspended activity last evening after a day of homphobic, racist abuse which also included extreme references to her appearance and weight by men. While the origin of these men can't be determined it is clear from one of the posters that he is a supporter of Donald Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/23/black-woman-inundated-racist-trolls-abuse-twitter-ireland

Betson

The operator of the @ireland twitter account has been forced to leave the account as a result of racist abuse. The account was managed by Michelle Marie on behalf of Irish Central from Monday with a view to her managing it for 1 week.
She suspended activity last evening after a day of homphobic, racist abuse which also included extreme references to her appearance and weight by men. While the origin of these men can't be determined it is clear from one of the posters that he is a supporter of Donald Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/23/black-woman-inundated-racist-trolls-abuse-twitter-ireland
Yes it is all Trumps fault.

If you are that thin skinned and let anonymous comments get to you so much then it probably best not to bother with twitter.

Cruimh

I'll bet some of the trolls were faithful followers of Irish Central - which is itself quite keen on the idea that there is an Irish Race that is passed on down the generations* - and possibly use this site - the claim that she can never be genetically Irish sounds quite familiar ....

* Will that change now that PSF are involved with the ownership? Or will they dare offend and educate the ignorant dollar donor Mickeymacs?

making waves

If you are that thin skinned and let anonymous comments get to you so much then it probably best not to bother with twitter.
Turn the other cheek - right.

I am sure we will have a bunch of the racists frequenting this board will be along in a while to engage in their usual xenophobic and racist rants.

eoghanacht

She's a liar, we don't have racists or waycists.

The racists on P.ie told me.

Spanner Island

Yes it is all Trumps fault.

Hmmm...

Interesting that there's no condemnation of the scumbag trolls in your post.

The 'suck it up or f*** off' attitude isn't a great one 'going forward' and is likely to embolden those who wish to censor and control the web.

It'll be interesting to see who 'likes' your post too...

I see 'Eire1976' has done so already... :roll:

Not surprised by that tbh.

benroe

Why don't twitter and other social media outlets create "safe spaces " for the thin skinned and let the rest of us practice our freedom of speech without fear of serial offence takers.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

I'm never sure exactly what we're supposed to do with stories like this. It is not really news that there are a lot of nasty trolls on the internet.

The great thing about the internet is that you can ignore them. Anybody who uses the internet to any extent surely realises that idiotic trolling is like background wallpaper, and you just have to filter it out. This site is no different. Unless the abuse involves specific threats of bodily harm, I don't think it really counts as news.

Capricornus

Not long ago we had an Arab take over the @sweden account where he loudly proclaimed to be "fkking your daughters" and a host of insults directed at Swedish people. All anger expressed at this insane Arab was met with ridicule, it was all just a bit of 'harmless fun' the newspapers and politicians told us, just "get over it". Same logic here I suppose.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

I note from the Guardian article that one of the trolling comments came from "End Cultural Marxism (@genophilia)"

Just a quick refresher there that the only people who use the phrase 'cultural Marxism' (which isn't a thing) are idiotic right-wing trolls.

Eire1976

Hmmm...

The 'suck it up or f*** off' attitude isn't a great one 'going forward' and is likely to embolden those who wish to censor and control the web.

That's right, I feel the whole thing is contrived.

I am surprised that you've been taken in by it.

Betson

Hmmm...

Well storming off crying is certainly not the answer , do you think that is going to stop them.

What she done was gave them a 'victory' and just encourages them more.

Why is interesting that I have not condemned the trolls , are you implying that I support them? If you are that is just lame nonsense.

I just believe people have to stand up for themselves , I do not understand how people can take anonymous posts obviously designed to cause offenive so seriously , I would just ignore them or have fun trying to wind them up even more.

Spanner Island

Well storming off crying is certainly not the answer , do you think that is going to stop them.

What she done was gave them a 'victory' and just encourages them more.

Why is interesting that I have not condemned the trolls , are you implying that I support them? If you are that is just lame nonsense.

I just believe people have to stand up for themselves , I do not understand how people can take anonymous posts obviously designed to cause offenive so seriously , I would just ignore them or have fun trying to wind them up even more.
That's fair enough.

Eire1976

Contrived?

The posts are there in black and white.
I'm referring to the media hype, I despise any idiot who picks on another person because of colour.

There is a media contrivance to elevate the smallest issue of racism from whites while ignoring the multitude of issues from others.

This is part of that.

Stompy

It so disappointing but not at all surprising, all the racist apologists on here, bunch of effin c's the lot of them.

I wonder if they would have same opinion if the recipient of these vile scumbag tweets was an Irish person on an english account.

The irony of course is lost on them when you consider how they respond to legitimate criticism of their point of view.

Thinking about the last statement change irony to hypocrisy.

GDPR

I tend to agree with David Cameron for once - Too many tweets make a twat.

Twitter is notorious for rustling up lynch mobs at the drop of a hat. That has become its main purpose over the last few years.

The platform itself seems to encourage playground spats even when there are no mass pitchforks at the ready. There isnt a whole lot of nuance in 140 characters.

Ive been surprised by people you think would know better, or just have better things to do, like JK Rowling who appears to regularly get into flyting sessions with non-entities or famous people on twitter. It makes her look small, TBH. Accio disconnectio!

Kershaw

A Journal.ie commenter said they just heard an interview with Michelle on the radio and it turned out that all of the tweets originated from international twitter account holders, mainly from America.

The user continues: "I think that this should if been highlighted at the start of both this article and the interview. The assumption by myself was that these were tweets by Irish people."

Comment #5391429 by Kathy Dowd: I was totally disgusted when I ...

Another user responds to that comment:

media forgot to put that bit in , racism happens in every country but Irish media is doing their best to paint Ireland as a racist country . Why ?? So we will accept thousands of refugees and if anyone complains ,they are singled out as racist

flavirostris

Just harmless shítlording from the army of Trump-supporting pepe frog avatar sporting goys on twitter,

Spanner Island

A Journal.ie commenter said they just heard an interview with Michelle on the radio and it turned out that all of the tweets originated from international twitter account holders, mainly from America.

The user continues: "I think that this should if been highlighted at the start of both this article and the interview."

Comment #5391429 by Kathy Dowd: I was totally disgusted when I ...
Irish Central would attract more overseas activity.

But don't let that fool you... there's plenty of Irish people and those of Irish descent living beyond Irish shores who would have international accounts...

Plus when living in America I came across a fair few Irish off the plane who were among the most racist people I encountered... as well as an African American work colleague who despised the British and the Jews... :roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies