• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Radio Prank goes very wrong, duped Nurse found dead, Suspected suicide

Buddies

Breaking news that the nurse who was duped by an Australian radio station has died of a suspected suicide.

Nurse duped by Australian radio DJs dies in suspected suicide | News.com.au

"A NURSE at the private hospital that treated the Duchess of Cambridge has reportedly committed suicide, days after being duped by an Australian radio hoax.

Police said the death was "unexplained" and have launched an investigation, but "the death is not being treated as suspicious at this stage".

Is there potential for a criminal investigation?

I'm saddened at this news, as this seems like an extreme response to the situation.

How sad though, perhaps it will make media outlets take notice of what they allow for journalistic standards

chriskavo

This is terrible, personally I thought it was a harmless prank that didn't warrant all that attention.

Very sad news.

gatsbygirl20

I've always hated practical jokes. They seem to me to be the lowest form of humour and to appeal to those without an understanding of nuance or irony.

There is usually a cruelty and nastiness at the heart of them, and they tend to be the preferred humour of those who enjoy others' pain, upset or embarrassment.

ANONG

Breaking news that the nurse who was duped by an Australian radio station has died of a suspected suicide.

"A NURSE at the private hospital that treated the Duchess of Cambridge has reportedly committed suicide, days after being duped by an Australian radio hoax.

Police said the death was "unexplained" and have launched an investigation, but "the death is not being treated as suspicious at this stage".

I'm saddened at this news, as this seems like an extreme response to the situation.

How sad though, perhaps it will make media outlets take notice of what they allow for journalistic standards
I read this here first and could not believe it. Absolute tragedy and am saddened that this poor woman took her own life and can not begin to understand what her family are going to have to endure. R.I.P.

TiredOfBeingTired

I've always hated practical jokes. They seem to me to be the lowest form of humour and to appeal to those without an understanding of nuance or irony.

There is usually a cruelty and nastiness at the heart of them, and they tend to be the preferred humour of those who enjoy others' pain, upset or embarrassment.
I think there is a high possibility that the nurse in question would be in serious difficulties with management over this hoax call.
I also think that the Ozzie "comedians" would have known this.
They did know but didnt care.
Their "just a bit of fun", their ratings and their Christmas bonuses were more important.

Cassandra Syndrome

There is no confirmation that this is suicide. The BBC news says that she was found dead.

D

Deleted member 17573

Wonder if the hospital management bear any responsibility?

sport02

I saw a clip yesterday on the news of Charles laughing of the prank with the media in the Uk.
Yet today a tragic incident as a result of such prank it woukd appear.

Rural

I think there is a high possibility that the nurse in question would be in serious difficulties with management over this hoax call.
I also think that the Ozzie "comedians" would have known this.
They did know but didnt care.
Their "just a bit of fun", their ratings and their Christmas bonuses were more important.
I think that to become a DJ, you'd have to have a very low IQ.

darkhorse

It was the nurse on the switchboard - not the one who took the call
So probably unrelated to the prank

EoinMag

She transferred to the ward nurse and should have spotted the social engineering attack and as such she allowed the security breach, the ward nurse will have assumed the vetting was correct when taking the call.

It is very unfortunate, but in a way it was just a joke.

I feel for her family and for the DJ's, even if their prank was misjudged.

Cassandra Syndrome

Don't let these facts get in the way of the torch mob here. Let's use this tragedy to demonise pranksters.

ScreeOrTalus

She transferred to the ward nurse and should have spotted the social engineering attack and as such she allowed the security breach, the ward nurse will have assumed the vetting was correct when taking the call.

I agree. I doubt that the DJs would have intended any suffering as a result of their prank.

darkhorse

But hardly a reason to commit suicide
Perhaps send a bunch of flowers to the ward nurse, but not suicide ...

Orbit v2

This is awful if true (ie related). I heard the prank replayed on the radio and had to switch off I found it too embarrassing to listen to.

ShankillFalls

But hardly a reason to commit suicide
Perhaps send a bunch of flowers to the ward nurse, but not suicide ...
Reporting suicide: tips for journalists | Samaritans

Would be nice if journalists reporting this story paid some attention to these guidelines. The big, and most obvious, thing is that it is very unlikely that someone would die by suicide as a result of a single event such as this. There's always a bigger story.

Glenshane4

This is terrible, personally I thought it was a harmless prank that didn't warrant all that attention.

Very sad news.
Pranks always carry the polential for harm. I think the two Australian pranksters should be imprisoned for many years - especially as they apologised and then used their twitter accounts to boast about their exploit.

TiredOfBeingTired

This radio station has got form:

Opinion: Idiots like 2Day presenters make all media look bad - TNT Magazine
"Prank calling a hospital during the early hours of the morning to find out information of a sick patient ... when is that ever amusing?
Or in the public interest – which is what the radio station, who once forced a 14-year-old to undergo a lie-detector test only for her to reveal live on air that she’d been raped, will have to defend."
More info: Girl's rape revelation sinks radio lie detector stunt - TV & Radio - smh.com.au

The Australian Communications and Media Authority imposed a licence condition for five years ordering 2Day FM to "provide increased protection for children participating in hosted entertainment programs,'' the Mail reported.
The station was handed another five-year condition preventing it from broadcasting indecent content that demeans women or girls,' the Mail reported.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/british-media-turns-on-kyle-sandilands-after-2say-fm-royal-radio-prank/story-fncvk70o-1226531962756

Last edited: