• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Radon Gas - Nutty Woman Refuses to Test.

FrankSpeaks

Cliona Saidlear from Galway refuses to test her home for Radon Gas because she is afraid that it might be found and cannot afford to pay for the remedial work.

IMHO this women is a fruitcake, the type deserving of winning a Darwin Award, who in their right mind would not do a test for something that is very likely to kill you if the dose is high enough. She is obviously someone who does not value her own life.

Last edited:

Ingersoll

It may also be the case that the woman is so poor that she is desperate? 'Tis the season after-all.

FrankSpeaks

It may also be the case that the woman is so poor that she is desperate? 'Tis the season after-all.
That is not the impression I get from reading the letter. In it she states:

I am aware of the risks of radon but I will not be testing my home. If I had my home tested and it was found to have high levels of radon I imagine my home would lose value or become unsellable.The only solution, it appears, for an existing house where a high level of radon is found is to effectively remove the flooring and dig up the entire area of the ground floor to put in a protective barrier and a sump. I found this information hard to glean. An estimate of the cost of such an operation was not available, but one assumes it would be considerable.

Since I cannot afford same, I will not be testing my home.
I reckon she can afford the test but is worried that she might not be able to pay for the solution if the level is high. To my mind she is putting a very low price on her own life!

firefighter

Maybe she doesn't want officials with clip boards and hi-viz jackets inside her own home?

Last edited:

truthisfree

I have not had my home checked and won't be having it checked, no way I can afford to do anything about it if it was toxic, know lots more people in same situation, does that make me nutty? :rolleyes:

Under the Constitution it is HER PROPERTY and accordingly any state flunky has no right to test inside her property without her permission.

Long live the Constitution.

redhead101

I have not had my home checked and won't be having it checked, no way I can afford to do anything about it if it was toxic, know lots more people in same situation, does that make me nutty? :rolleyes:

You would seriously prefer NOT to know whether there is cancer-causing gas in you house?

FrankSpeaks

Under the Constitution it is HER PROPERTY and accordingly any state flunky has no right to test inside her property without her permission.

Long live the Constitution.
You must pay for the test yourself! Nobody enters your property, basically you contact a testing company who send you out some plastic containers that you stick on your wall. They look similar to those nice smell things that you stick up. Leave them there for 3 months and send them back to the testing company who then give you a report on the radon level in your house.

It costs around €50 to test a typical house, a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Last edited:

FrankSpeaks

Yes of course it does and more especially if you live in a know radon area.

What price do you put on your own life?

€100, €1,000, €10,000 or €1,000,000 or some other figure.

truthisfree

Irrational certainly. Or misinformed about the risks you would be accepting.
Which part did you not understand? I cannot afford to have the house radon proofed if it has radon gas in it!

Is it irrational to be broke?

FrankSpeaks

What's to be gained from testing if she can't take any action based on the result?
That like going before a judge and saying I killed the pedestrian because I could not not afford to replace my bald tyres.

truthisfree

Yes of course it does and more especially if you live in a know radon area.

What price do you put on your own life?

€100, €1,000, €10,000 or €1,000,000 or some other figure.
I do not put a price on my life, do you, "well your'e worth it" I'm sure :rolleyes: Is it too hard for you to comprehend that if the test shows the presence of radon that it would cost way more than I have too rectify it!

FrankSpeaks

I do not put a price on my life, do you, "well your'e worth it" I'm sure :rolleyes: Is it too hard for you to comprehend that if the test shows the presence of radon that it would cost way more than I have too rectify it!
I certainly would consider myself more valuable than €1,500. Read this reply and extract below to the original letter.

Fixing very high radon levels typically costs between €1,000 and €1,500 and there are a number of companies in Ireland who can do this work.

pujols

I imagine she has made it hard for herself to ever sell the house in any case. I doubt many people would consider buying it now unless it had been tested and remedied.

truthisfree

I certainly would consider myself more valuable than €1,500. Read this reply and extract below to the original letter.

SO, you can put a price on a life (yours) well obviously I am a way cheaper model, (less expensive to you) therefore disposable if any sign of disease occurs.

I do not have €1,500 to put into my house, am struggling to keep electricity in it and tbh I have spent two winters without heat and am not looking forward to another one, and you worry about radon gas. :confused:

'orebel

From that reply:
Fixing very high radon levels typically costs between €1,000 and €1,500 and there are a number of companies in Ireland who can do this work. It requires the creation of a sump – a small void under the house which is then piped to the outside. The work can be done from outside the house so there should be no internal disruption as suggested by your correspondent
Eh, if you have high levels of radon and install a sump beneath the house you still have high levels of radon unless you have a barrier beneath the concrete.
Assuming Ms. Saidléar has no barrier beneath the floors of her house the costs of remedying the problem would be considerable. (all concrete removed, sumps installed, backfilled, barrier installed and floors poured again, tthen redecorate - try getting all that done for €1500)

truthisfree

From that reply:

Eh, if you have high levels of radon and install a sump beneath the house you still have high levels of radon unless you have a barrier beneath the concrete.
Assuming Ms. Saidléar has no barrier beneath the floors of her house the costs of remedying the problem would be considerable. (all concrete removed, sumps installed, backfilled, barrier installed and floors poured again, tthen redecorate - try getting all that done for €1500)
All for a 1 in 20,000 chance of dying from radon, somehow a little down on my priorities this winter methinks! :)

'orebel

All for a 1 in 20,000 chance of dying from radon, somehow a little down on my priorities this winter methinks! :)
Forgot to include downstairs plumbing and removal and reinstatement of kitchen - my bad.

Last edited: