• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Raids on "Slab" Murphy's Property

Pidge

I'm surprised nobody has started a thread on this topic. BreakingNews.ie

On Thursday the home of Thomas "Slab" Murphy, suspected former chief of staff of the IRA, was searched by the Gardaí and the PSNI, in a joint operation. His farm straddles the border.

Gardaí found (wait for it) 30,000 cigarettes, £200,000 in mixed curreny cash and 8,000 litres of fuel. All this along with four tankers, what is being described as "an oil laundering unit", and several laptops hidden in bales of hay.

They also picked up some guns and ammunition, but I haven't seen if they're owned legally or not.

Bizarrely, Gerry Adams has said that Murphy is "not a criminal" and is a "good republican". He said that smuggling was crime, but insisted that Murphy wasn't a criminal.

Republicans can at least relish that it was a cross-border initiave; a joint raid by the PSNI and Gardaí. This, combined with the Garda helicopter being permitted to cross the border recently, is another step towards breaking down the border. ;)

Obviously we don't want to jump to conclusions, but it's pretty difficult not to, when you consider both the goods and the quantity of these goods. I understand he has a right to have all this, and that the burden of proof is on the Gardaí/PSNI, but can anyone think of any sort of reasonable explanation for all this?

pluralist

It would be interesting to subject this to a cost-benefit analysis.

Given the massive economic resources devoted to the raid (OUR money, don't forget) will the future benefits justify it?

Abaddon

The report on Breaking News is not very clear about what was found in these searches on Slab's property and what they recovered elsewhere.

Pidge

Abaddon said:
The report on Breaking News is not very clear about what was found in these searches on Slab's property and what they recovered elsewhere.
Any chance that there's a report that is? I'd like to read it.

brenners'

Website
brenners1205.blogspot.com
This thread is misleading. Nothing was seized on Slabs Land. Also I think it is appalling that these allegations have been made for years and yet Mr Murphy has never been arrested, this is despite the fact that the Brits built a watch tower which monitors his house 24/7. all bullshit and unproven.
Also I hear that the two laptops where infact very old PC's which had not worked in ages and where dumped in a shed.

Pidge

brenners' said:
This thread is misleading. Nothing was seized on Slabs Land. Also I think it is appalling that these allegations have been made for years and yet Mr Murphy has never been arrested, this is despite the fact that the Brits built a watch tower which monitors his house 24/7. all ******** and unproven.
Also I hear that the two laptops where infact very old PC's which had not worked in ages and where dumped in a shed.
Ah right, well you can forgive me for being misled, if that is the case. Does anyone have a comprehensive report?

Abaddon

I would be very surprised if they uncovered anything of worth(on Slab)....maybe a antique pen gun and the odd unusable gas pellet. Real career making stuff for the boys in blue. Plenty of monosyllable headlines for the sunday rag sheets.

EastGalway

Anyone notice that the Irish Times repeatedly referred to Slab as "former chief of staff" of the IRA? Other newspapers claim he still holds the position.

Have any media sources suggested who his replacement may be?

meriwether

8000 litres of fuel isn't that much. We have two tanks of red diesel at home, that would amount to quite a bit.

iceman

EastGalway said:
Anyone notice that the Irish Times repeatedly referred to Slab as "former chief of staff" of the IRA? Other newspapers claim he still holds the position.

I hear its Michael McDowell. :D

meriwether

iceman said:
EastGalway said:

I hear its Michael McDowell. :D
He beat Willie Frazer by 5 votes for the post. South Armagh rode in behind McDowell after Willie broke his promise to build a swimming pool in Cross'.

Big_Ron

Anyone with half a brain should start to see a pattern here, massive raids and/or arrests, media tiped off beforehand so they are all there to catch the action on camera, loads of speculation and misinformation about what was or wasn't seized and then no charges ever brought, the whole thing quietly drop by the authorities. Other examples, Manchester, Stormant, I could go on ...

brenners'

Website
brenners1205.blogspot.com
EastGalway said:

Mind your own fukcing business a chara!! 8) 8)

hiding behind a poster

pluralist said:
It would be interesting to subject this to a cost-benefit analysis.

Given the massive economic resources devoted to the raid (OUR money, don't forget) will the future benefits justify it?

Investigating crime should not be subject to a cost-benefit analysis. If it was, would there ever be economic reasons to investigate a murder? Think about it, a lot of police/judicial resources thrown into the investigation and trial, plus huge costs to the state in prison costs if a conviction is secured.

There's more to life than money.

hiding behind a poster

brenners' said:
This thread is misleading. Nothing was seized on Slabs Land.

According to the Irish Times :

" About £200,000 in sterling and euros was seized in the raids, as well as 30,000 cigarettes, 8,000 litres of fuel, several oil-tanker lorries, documentation and laptop computers."

Whether it was on Slab's land or not is hardly the nub of the story.

On Adams' remarks, I have to say I'm getting a bit sick of the sanctimonious cr*p that he comes up with in these situations. Its time he accepted that with the democratic mandate he loves to lecture us about, comes responsibility, and this notion that he needs to "keep the hardliners onside" doesn't wash anymore. As a party leader he should be saying nothing about the innocence or guilt of Murphy, and that its a matter for the Gardai, PSNI and courts to deal with. I suspect that his statement was an attempt to goad other politicians into making statements that could prejudice a future trial, as Harney did re Haughey a few years ago.

And as for the notion that Murphy is a "good republican", I find that insulting to the rest of us. Does good republicanism involve smuggling and cheating the tax authorities?

PaulHarte

hiding behind a poster said:
And as for the notion that Murphy is a "good republican", I find that insulting to the rest of us. Does good republicanism involve smuggling and cheating the tax authorities?
And you have evidence of this that even the police do not have, have you?

Abaddon

hiding behind a poster said:
[quote="brenners'":22f2drlv]

This thread is misleading. Nothing was seized on Slabs Land.

According to the Irish Times :

" About £200,000 in sterling and euros was seized in the raids, as well as 30,000 cigarettes, 8,000 litres of fuel, several oil-tanker lorries, documentation and laptop computers."

Whether it was on Slab's land or not is hardly the nub of the story.

On Adams' remarks, I have to say I'm getting a bit sick of the sanctimonious cr*p that he comes up with in these situations. Its time he accepted that with the democratic mandate he loves to lecture us about, comes responsibility, and this notion that he needs to "keep the hardliners onside" doesn't wash anymore. As a party leader he should be saying nothing about the innocence or guilt of Murphy, and that its a matter for the Gardai, PSNI and courts to deal with. I suspect that his statement was an attempt to goad other politicians into making statements that could prejudice a future trial, as Harney did re Haughey a few years ago.

[/quote:22f2drlv]

You are very quick to judge slab on the basis of a couple media reports (always such reliable places for information :roll: ) Do you have access to information that the rest of us don't or are you just jumping to conclusions based on these reports?

ireland2004

Alrite let's break it down.

£200,000. We don't know how many properties were raided. Therefore we don't know how many homes or buisnesses that this amount of cash came from. In fact, if it came from one big buisness in the area it isn't really a MASSIVE amount of money when you think about it.

30,000 fags. Lol well, I dunno about that.

8,000 litres of fuel. Comon like. As Meri has pointed out that isn't much at all when you think about it. I mean we have an oil tank out the back that holds almost 1,000 litres. Basically I'd expect farms and properties in S. Armagh to have quite a few tanks for storing fuel etc so if all that was seized is 8 times the amount that can fit in ours out back then I'm suprised anyone really reads into that at all.

Basically very sensationalist news reporting (as usual) coupled with a few statements from Republicans best mates in the PSNI and Gardai has led to a shit-storm in a teacup. One positive I can draw from it though is it took quite a while for a thread to start on polly which suggests our fine users are getting bored of the political policing from the British and Dublin establishments :wink:

:roll:

EastGalway

brenners' said:
EastGalway said:

It is my fukcing business ...

ireland2004

EastGalway said:
brenners' said:
EastGalway said:

It is my fukcing business ...
Ok, I replaced him. But don't tell anyone it's meant to be a secret :oops:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies