Rail and Bus fares to go up (again)

jman0war

The National Transport Authority has announced plans which could see up to quarter of public transport users facing fare increases from the beginning of next month.
Three quarters of passengers on Luas, Irish Rail, Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus will see no fare hikes, but some will see increases of up to 18% on journeys.
Public transport fare hikes - and some reductions - on way from December 1 | BreakingNews.ie

Does anybody know how many fare hikes there have been since say, the recession?
Good journalism would probably included that tid bit for context.

Catalpast

Inevitable once the Bus workers were looked after...

Its not coming from the State Coffers

However perhaps if Dublin Bus charged all its customers equally

- that would at least sweeten the pill

- for commuting workers who have to pay full whack!

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
It's the merry-go-round where no one gets off...strike and up go the prices. We are pricing ourselves into insanity. A penny bar is now 80c.

brughahaha

Are Dublin Bus fares still based on stages ? In an utterly impossible system to understand or calculate ? Or have they actually joined the mid 20th century and moved to a zonal system yet.

Fare increases .....of course , there's just been a raft of unjustified pay rises .....how else would they be funded .....by the poorest who rely on public transport of course

Feckkit

Rail and Bus fares to go up (again)

There was uproar about exactly this too, in 1965 :)

Therightroad

With the bus workers pay increase it was inevitable .... If there's any money left over we can put it towards the teachers pay !!

ShoutingIsLeadership

The spokesperson said that this had nothing to do with wage increases.

Cdebru

With the bus workers pay increase it was inevitable .... If there's any money left over we can put it towards the teachers pay !!

Did any of you actually look and see what the fare increases are ?

Dublin bus

1 to 3 stages leapcard or cash no change
4 to 13 stages leapcard or cash no change
Over 13 stages leapcard or cash no change

Child fares 1 to 7 stages leapcard or cash no change
Child fares over 8 stages leapcard or cash no
change

School fare cash no change, leap card up 2 cents

City centre fare leapcard or cash no change

Annual and monthly tickets no change

Adult daily leapcard cap up 10cents

Adult weekly cap no change

Student daily and weekly cap no change

Child daily cap up 20 cents weekly cap up 50 cents

Rambler tickets up 2.7 to 2.9% to reflect the increase in daily cap.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Dublin bus

change

What's the logic behind increasing the cost of school fares via leap card, but not cash?

Likely Lad

Public transport fare hikes - and some reductions - on way from December 1 | BreakingNews.ie

Does anybody know how many fare hikes there have been since say, the recession?
Good journalism would probably included that tid bit for context.
My annual Dublin Bus/Rail Short-Hop ticket has gone up from €1,420 in 2013 to €1,800 for 2017 anyway

A nice 26.7% increase over 4 years when there has been declining fuel prices and in-return getting squashed on delayed overcrowded DARTs most mornings

This city's public transport 'system' is a very sad price gouging embarrassment

danger here

My annual Dublin Bus/Rail Short-Hop ticket has gone up from €1,420 in 2013 to €1,800 for 2017 anyway

A nice 26.7% increase over 4 years when there has been declining fuel prices and in-return getting squashed on delayed overcrowded DARTs most mornings

That's shocking. I just had a look. The same in Germany would get you free transport (train, bus, tram, underground, ferry) for a year throughout Berlin and anywhere in approx 130 km radius!

brughahaha

Dublin bus

change

What's a 'stage' ?

Feckkit

Move to Cork :)

APettigrew92

there's just been a raft of unjustified pay rises
Hey! Who says that the Indo's readership is going downhill? As long as you and your Government pals keep jacking up rents, freezing young people out of the market and leaving housing policy to a bunch of cowboy builders, the cost of living will continue to skyrocket.

Also, if you'd taken time to read up on the Dublin Bus issue, you know. The bare minimum in independent investigation? You would soon have realized that:
a) The Bus service is integral to the survival of this city. Integral. The Luas is a commodity that had no legal grounds to ask for exorbitant pay rises and got them because how else do you get to Dundrum?
b) The drivers signed an agreement in 2009 for a deferral on their pay increase. CIÉ refused to honour that arrangement. It was as simple as that.

I hope next time you make a contract with someone and they renege on it that you internalize that nonsense you read and see yourself as the guilty party for holding up your end of the bargain.

Dublin Bus has one of the lowest subventions from the State in the EU. A fact that is hushed down whenever figures get thrown about. I mean, the HSE isn't a shining light of efficiency either yet you hear very little about the fact that they get bailed out to the tune of hundreds of millions a year.

For comparison, Ireland has a 28% subvention rate. Germany is around 50%, France around 45% and Italy around 70%.

I guess the mainstream media only go after people in working-class jobs? I guess because that doctor studied for seven years that he deserves the pay rise more, eh? Great pathway to an equal society, that.

That's shocking. I just had a look. The same in Germany would get you free transport (train, bus, tram, underground, ferry) for a year throughout Berlin and anywhere in approx 130 km radius!
A country that handles its affairs a little better than our civil service. The Germans also heavily subsidize public transport because they believe in public transport.

You know that the Bus drivers leaflet was fact checked by the Journal and everything single thing they said is supported by the facts? I guess that is inconvenient for people that read papers owned by businessmen who have a vested interest in keeping working wages as miserly and as stagnant as possible?

In 2007, the government subvention to Dublin Bus was 28.6% of its total revenue (€80,078,000 out of €280,442,000).

According to a 2009 report by Deloitte, highlighted by the NRBU in response to FactCheck, this rate of subvention (not amount of subvention), was lower than five other comparable European cities examined:

Lyon, where the subvention was 79% of revenue; Brussels (68%); Amsterdam (62%); Zurich (57%); London (38.5%, excluding certain costs).
FactCheck: Does this Dublin Bus drivers' leaflet stand up to scrutiny?

Keep the recovery going lads!

olli rehn

A sickening development.A government committed to fight global warming should do everything in its power to bring down ticket prices of the public transport. Proves again- all words and no action !

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies