• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Rail Corridor

Príomh Aire

Website
www.freewebs.com
Two of Ireland's largest cities Galway and Limerick are not linked by rail. The Govt. didn't promise that the Western Rail Corridor will be re opened but that its a possibility. This govt. has forgotten about the West pumping too much money into the pale

Neutral

What route?

I'd say:

Galway-Ennis-Limerick-Cork

Journey by rail from Galway to Cork currently takes 5:45 with 2 changes or 6:25 via Dublin!!!

By bus it's 4:20. That is just insane! They're geographically not that far apart.

Deffinitely needs a ral link.

Neutral

Just to compare, by car the 128 mile journey takes 3 hours. I have no idea why Bus Eireann takes so long.

It is faily cronic that there are no direct rail lines from the second largest city in this state to the third, fourth or even any other city apart from Dublin in this country, in the words of Jim Mcdaid, every other banana republic would have this sorted out??

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
I believe if we are to allievate the pressures on the infrastructure of Dublin we need a counter weight urban development on the west coast. Using Cork/Limerick/Galway as the axis makes sense and a train service of 2 hours of thereabouts from Cork to Galway would be a start.

Neutral

That campaign seems to focus more on the less important Limerick & Galway to Sligo end of it.

Galway to Cork should be the 1st priority!

david

Sligo to Cork should be first priority!

david

I recently saw the short film Caca Milis and was impressed by the scenery passing by the train window. Anyone know which stretch of line the train was on?

Re my comment 'Sligo to Cork should be first priority!' A dream would be a railway right the way around Ireland. That would be a route and a half, alright...

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
The rail system here is pretty pathetic alright. Since the foundation of the State no new lines have been laid and instead we had the massive closures in the middle of the last century. However, given that Iarnrod Eireann still own a lot of the land that the tracks ran on, it wouldn't require the kind of route issues motorways present if they decided to relay track - or better still make it available to a private operator to take it on.

Neutral

david said:
Re my comment 'Sligo to Cork should be first priority!' A dream would be a railway right the way around Ireland. That would be a route and a half, alright...
If Sligo-Cork was built, that would only leave Sligo-Derry neccessary to complete a round-Ireland route.

If you can justify Sligo-Galway, then Sligo-Derry via Donegal & Letterkenny makes sense too. Shutting some of the plethora of little airports around the place and integrating the remaining ones into a rail network would save some of the funds needed to run the trains.

Ulysses

I agree that in order to balance regional development, we need to put in place two centres which can provide economic "critical mass" and act as counterpoints to Dublin. One of those is Cork, the other is the "Atlantic Corridor" from Limerick through to Galway.

But bear in mind that a modern fast rail link from Cork to Galway would cost a very large sum of money and would never break even. Cross-country rail links work well when they connect big centres of population. But in rail terms, Ireland only has one big centre of population - although Belfast would just about qualify on some criteria. Without big population centres at either end of the line or along the line, a cross-country rail link is an inevitable loss maker.

Here's a puzzle for you - do the maths and see what answer you get. If we were to cover up and tarmac the railway line from Dublin to Galway, and use it as a dedicated busway instead of running trains, how long would a journey between the two cities take? Try the same calculation for Cork if you like.

new_FF

Neutral said:
That campaign seems to focus more on the less important Limerick & Galway to Sligo end of it.

Galway to Cork should be the 1st priority!
Jaysus Neutral, Limerick is between Sligo and Cork for God's sake.

Limerick and Cork are already linked.

Limerick and Ennis and already linked.

Therefore..Reopen the existing line from Ennis to Sligo via Galway = reopening Cork to Galway and Sligo.

There was a debate on this whole issue in the ff forum with some surprising viewpoints expressed by one FG supporter -
http://forum.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?t=5752

Ulysses

aodh_rua said:
Trains take more than passangers so just considering buses on that corridor wouldn't be altogether telling.
Yes, but my question was how long would the journey take?

Ulysses

KingKane said:
I hate to break it to you but roads don't break even either! Not infrastrutural transport provision makes money. Bus companies that use roads are subsidised by other road users!
You hate to break it to whom?

Ulysses

KingKane said:
"But bear in mind that a modern fast rail link from Cork to Galway would cost a very large sum of money and would never break even."
And your point?