Rail Corridor

Rigel Kent

I remember there was a Mallow Waterford link all right but I didn't know there was a Mallow Limerick link except via Limerick Junction.
I should have said Charleville to Patricks Well it was demolished in the 60s I am convinced it would be profitable with express trains and commuter trains to Limerick.

stakerwallace

I should have said Charleville to Patricks Well it was demolished in the 60s I am convinced it would be profitable with express trains and commuter trains to Limerick.
I think you are right. I go between Limerick and Cork often and even with the poor road the car or bus is a more attractive prospect than the Limerick Junction rail route.

Rigel Kent

Pity we cannot get a an express limerick to cork using limerick junction only one stop Mallow As demand increases the need for a direct line would become obvious.it was an act of vandalism by Dublin based bosses to cut that railroad .

Roll_On

Cork to Limerick by road is a 100km journey by road, Google reckons that can be done in 1:27 by car. I would say that's a bit optimistic. The fastest Cork to Limerick train via Limerick junction rail services is timetabled at 1:29. i.e. depart Cork at 15:20 and arrive at 16:49 with a 6 minute change at Limerick Junction.

This is a journey where Irish Rail can make real improvements. A more direct rail route bypassing Limerick Junction could easily make the service much more attractive than road. Onward connections to Galway would be an added bonus.

That being said, it'd require a good bit of capital, and major capital projects are off limits for the moment, and when they come back on the agenda, it'll be DARTu and MetroN on the top of the list.

For the moment, a bit of clever timetabling could reduce the journey time between Cork and Limerick

dizillusioned

I hate to break it to you but roads don't break even either! Not infrastrutural transport provision makes money. Bus companies that use roads are subsidised by other road users!
Ohhhhhhhh yes they do!!!!!!

M50 toll was very profitable........

eurlex

Cork to Limerick by road is a 100km journey by road, Google reckons that can be done in 1:27 by car. I would say that's a bit optimistic. The fastest Cork to Limerick train via Limerick junction rail services is timetabled at 1:29. i.e. depart Cork at 15:20 and arrive at 16:49 with a 6 minute change at Limerick Junction.

This is a journey where Irish Rail can make real improvements. A more direct rail route bypassing Limerick Junction could easily make the service much more attractive than road. Onward connections to Galway would be an added bonus.

That being said, it'd require a good bit of capital, and major capital projects are off limits for the moment, and when they come back on the agenda, it'll be DARTu and MetroN on the top of the list.

For the moment, a bit of clever timetabling could reduce the journey time between Cork and Limerick
If the M20 ever gets built, the train service from Cork to Limerick will be in serious trouble. A motorway connecting the two cities would reduce journey times by road to less than one hour, maybe 1:15 at busy times.

Why isn't there a timetabled train service from Cork to Galway via Limerick?

sowhat

If the M20 ever gets built, the train service from Cork to Limerick will be in serious trouble. A motorway connecting the two cities would reduce journey times by road to less than one hour, maybe 1:15 at busy times.

Why isn't there a timetabled train service from Cork to Galway via Limerick?
There is on Ireland rail travel information - Iarnród Éireann - Irish Rail
I`ve travelled by rail between Galway and Cork via Limerick.
It`s much nicer travelling by rail on the route but a lot more expensive than using the bus.

A reopening of the Cork line from Charleville to Patricks Well and on to Limerick would greatly help to viability of the Western Rail Corridor to Galway, in addition to a shortening of the duration of the service between Limerick and Galway to compete with the motorway.

Last edited:

jacko

One option to get more passengers on the wrc is to utilise the through line at LimJct.

Have a service every two hours going

Galway- Ennis - Limerick - Clonmel - Waterford

cut out the smaller stations apart from commuter peaks and increase the speed

hitting a population of 200k+ between those five urban areas

Rigel Kent

200 k is not enough to make money ahwell.

Cork alone has a bigger population than that will probably be more stations in Cork first.Now if Killarney could get a new station with a decent carpark and a new terminal for Farranfore with a train station in it would make some real sense .

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie

To avoid Limerick Junction would require a huge amount of new track building. Bypassing the Junction is all well and good, but the most it will save is 10-15 minutes.

You can do Cork City to Limerick (more central stops in both cites) by bus, for half the price and only about 10 minutes longer.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
There is on Ireland rail travel information - Iarnród Éireann - Irish Rail
I`ve travelled by rail between Galway and Cork via Limerick.
It`s much nicer travelling by rail on the route but a lot more expensive than using the bus.

A reopening of the Cork line from Charleville to Patricks Well and on to Limerick would greatly help to viability of the Western Rail Corridor to Galway, in addition to a shortening of the duration of the service between Limerick and Galway to compete with the motorway.
Shortening the distance does not necessarily shorten the time. Have a look at how long it takes to get from Galway to Limerick by train, it's FAR longer than doing it by bus, far more expensive and you can't book online. As much as I like the train,, I'm beginning to think the WRC is a folly from the Celtic Tiger.

Rigel Kent

Only time will tell as the years go buy it should get busier as time goes buy I know it was a disaster for many places as the railways were abandoned.

sowhat

Shortening the distance does not necessarily shorten the time. Have a look at how long it takes to get from Galway to Limerick by train, it's FAR longer than doing it by bus, far more expensive and you can't book online. As much as I like the train,, I'm beginning to think the WRC is a folly from the Celtic Tiger.
I meant that.. increasing the speed on the line between Limerick and Galway.
I`ve travelled by train between Cork and Galway via Limerick a couple of times and always book online.

arte et labore

Great value on the WRC currently - Adult rtn €15 Student Rtn €9

mayomick

The disused western rail corridor should be developed as a greenway for cyclists and walkers, according to a government-commissioned report.
GO TO
While consultants said reopening the railway line "should be a longer-term objective", their report concludes that a "single-use greenway" would be the best short-term option.
The findings will deal another blow to the campaign to reopen the line to passengers and freight trains which is being resisted on cost grounds.

Turn disused rail line into cycle way, new report urges - Independent.ie

Al.

The disused western rail corridor should be developed as a greenway for cyclists and walkers, according to a government-commissioned report.

While consultants said reopening the railway line "should be a longer-term objective", their report concludes that a "single-use greenway" would be the best short-term option.

The findings will deal another blow to the campaign to reopen the line to passengers and freight trains which is being resisted on cost grounds.
Turn disused rail line into cycle way, new report urges - Independent.ie
Right; the railway would have no economic value, but the motorway they're still planning to build parallel will? Time to get the railways out of government hands already. A greenway would have zero economic value (no fuel used by bikes = no taxes to support it), and be a haven for violent criminals as has happened elsewhere on other bikeway conversions of railways.

Viva La Revolution!

A greenway would have zero economic value (no fuel used by bikes = no taxes to support it)
Have you been to Westport lately?

and be a haven for violent criminals as has happened elsewhere on other bikeway conversions of railways.
Would you care to back this statement up?

Roll_On

Right; the railway would have no economic value, but the motorway they're still planning to build parallel will?
The M17 is a true disaster. It'll never reach it's design capacity. Completely over designed, the same money could have built a new 2 lane road, with dual sections the whole way from Galway to Donegal. A shameful waste, especially when the main Cork-Limerick road is so poor quality and heavily congested.

Time to get the railways out of government hands already. A greenway would have zero economic value (no fuel used by bikes = no taxes to support it), and be a haven for violent criminals as has happened elsewhere on other bikeway conversions of railways.
What brain fart is this? A haven for criminals? what are you on about?

Greenways have enormous economic value, even if they do not directly generate tax revenue. Building new railways in sparsely populated regions is just not on the cards when you consider that Dublin's main rail projects have been shelved despite the enormous passenger demand.

Public transport in Galway City might as well not exist at all, such is the current state of affairs, if you want better transport in the west building proper bus and cycling priority in the West's capital is a good start, double tracking the railway between Portarlington and Athlone would also be a real winner for the west.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies