Rail strike looming?

L'Chaim

In breaking news, talks broke down between trade unions represent rail workers and Irish Rail. Unions day they are going to ballot their members immediately on strike action. Thousands upon thousands of commuters would be affected. The unions were looking for a wage increase of 3.75% pay increase. Irish Rail have offered 1.5% increase. Irish rail say they cannot pay more because the company is €160m in debt . The Unions want the minister for transport to intervene with more funding for public transport.
Rail strikes looms as unions to ballot members for action after WRC talks collapse - Independent.ie

Now I'm all for workers rights and better pay, but if a company is €160 million in debt then there's no money available to pay higher wages. If the Minister does give more funding that means the tax payers end up paying, or other services get less. Surely the onus should be on getting the company's debt down and/or into profit. Then the workers might have a claim to higher wages. What do you think?

LISTOWEL MAN

Major: strikes, strike, why do we bother ?

Basil: i didn't know you did major

Glenshane4

Can some kind Eireperson explain why the government of Eire does not close down the railways - at least until the present generation of troublesome rail workers has retired or died?

integratetransport

Can some kind Eireperson explain why the government of Eire does not close down the railways - at least until the present generation of troublesome rail workers has retired or died?
Because it's a moronic idea and the current generation of rail workers are not troublesome at all.

Just privatise the lot of it and be done with it.
Not cost effective and there would be nothing to gain. Privatization does not stop strikes, staff seeking pay rises or fare rises.

Conor

Now I'm all for workers rights and better pay, but if a company is €160 million in debt then there's no money available to pay higher wages.
Regardless of merits of this particular claim, that's a ridiculous thing to say. All companies carry debt, and big companies carry big debt. So what?
(Not directed at you in particular).

D

Deleted member 48908

Driverless cars are already here.

Think about that.

Imagine...actual cars, on actual roads, with thousands of other actual cars and cyclists and pedestrians on hundreds of thousands of miles of roads.

How long before we will have driverless trains...on a closed track with no pedestrians or cyclists, and maybe two other actual trains?

What if the Minister decided to invest the 1.5% increase in newer technology, like a Commodore64?

The Field Marshal

Irish rail say they cannot pay more because the company is €160m in debt .
Why is the company in debt of such magnitude?

The answer is inefficient management.

The public demand exists for rail travel yet fares remain exorbitantly high and a discouragement to travel.

As far as I know you still cannot book a seat as a normal part of buying a ticket.
The most backward European states have this as a norm.

Sanitary facilities are dreadful on most trains.
[Quite literally nobody gives an sh12].

No real effort is made to promote rail travel as something to be enjoyed at a luxury level.
The attitude is utterly utilitarian.

Hence the grossly overpaid management of Irish rail have accumulated debts of 160 million.

D

Deleted member 48908

Why is the company in debt of such magnitude?

The answer is inefficient management.

The public demand exists for rail travel yet fares remain exorbitantly high and a discouragement to travel.

As far as I know you still cannot book a seat as a normal part of buying a ticket.

Sanitary facilities are dreadful on most trains.
[Quite literally nobody give an sh12].

No real effort is made to promote rail travel as something to be enjoyed at a luxury level.
The attitude is utterly utilitarian.

Hence the grossly overpaid management of Irish rail have accumulated debts of 160 million.
Surely, a man of your vintage has the free travel at this stage, Marsh?

D

Deleted member 48908

Nope.

I am widely travelled but Irish rail take the biscuit.

High fares , no seat booking, grubby carriages, condescending staff, unkept railway stations, lousy website,killers of all romance.

That is Irish Rail.
It won't be long now. Eight, maybe nine years tops.

integratetransport

Driverless cars are already here.

Think about that.

Imagine...actual cars, on actual roads, with thousands of other actual cars and cyclists and pedestrians on hundreds of thousands of miles of roads.

How long before we will have driverless trains...on a closed track with no pedestrians or cyclists, and maybe two other actual trains?

What if the Minister decided to invest the 1.5% increase in newer technology, like a Commodore64?
the minister can't invest the 1% offered by the company in anything as not only is it not his place to, but it would be interference in the company's operations and the minister has said he will not get involved in disputes between the company and the staff. driverless trains are a long way off on the railway, as the railway will need full segregation along with other costly modifications to make it happen. the costs would dwarf the pay of a couple of generations of drivers, from start of their service to retirement. You may get driverless trains on a newly built fully segregated underground metro system if ever built, but that would be a purpose built from scratch line that would be designed with such operation in mind from the very start.

The Field Marshal

It won't be long now. Eight, maybe nine years tops.
Just two days ago I accidentally encountered a real human corpse in a publicly accessible building.
It was,nt Irish Rail.

Mind you I was very frightened and turned to the drink.

D

Deleted member 48908

the minister can't invest the 1% offered by the company in anything as not only is it not his place to, but it would be interference in the company's operations and the minister has said he will not get involved in disputes between the company and the staff. driverless trains are a long way off on the railway, as the railway will need full segregation along with other costly modifications to make it happen. the costs would dwarf the pay of a couple of generations of drivers, from start of their service to retirement. You may get driverless trains on a newly built fully segregated underground metro system if ever built, but that would be a purpose built from scratch line that would be designed with such operation in mind from the very start.
Time to abandon the railway altogether. Flog off CIE/IarnródÉireann/IrishRail/Whaterveryourhavingyourself and divert those funds into canals and hyper loops.

Or maybe these yolks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automated_urban_metro_subway_systems

The Field Marshal

Miwadi?...or Robinson's?
Fermented grape.
Religious drink if you like.

Im a little miffed at your lack of comment to my sudden surprise exposure to a human corpse.
Are you exposed to such situations frequently?

Irish rail truly has an excellent safety record.
Exposure to corpses is therefore unlikely if you travel with them.

D

Deleted member 48908

Nothing like a nice glass of balsamic.

Too bloody frequently, unfortunately.

Surprised you haven't attended more wakes?

The Field Marshal

Nothing like a nice glass of balsamic.

Too bloody frequently, unfortunately.

Surprised you haven't attended more wakes?
I have been to funerals and wakes where I knew what to expect.

Im referring to to a situation where as believer in the Divine Will I entered a catholic church seeking solace and was gobsmacked with a corpse in an open coffin.

Some atheists on the forum have already commented that we are all that corpse.

Maybe Irish Rail will provide a travelling wake.

Have you ever been near a real corpse Carlos?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies