Ramadan Kareem!

Hillmanhunter1

In most parts of the world Ramadan began last night and today is the first full day.

If you have adult colleagues or neighbours who are Muslim they will most likely be fasting today.

Why not greet them with a simple 'Ramadan Kareem" or "Ramadan Mubarak"? They will appreciate it the same way that I appreciate it when my Muslim friends and colleagues wish me a "Happy Christmas".

For observant Muslims Ramadan is a time of fasting and reflection, and feasting with family and friends in the evening after the fast is broken.

Try to bear in mind that during the day your Muslim friends will be tired, hungry and thirsty!

hollandia

In most parts of the world Ramadan began last night and today is the first full day.

If you have adult colleagues or neighbours who are Muslim they will most likely be fasting today.

Why not greet them with a simple 'Ramadan Kareem" or "Ramadan Mubarak"? They will appreciate it the same way that I appreciate it when my Muslim friends and colleagues wish me a "Happy Christmas".

For observant Muslims Ramadan is a time of fasting and reflection, and feasting with family and friends in the evening after the fast is broken.

Try to bear in mind that during the day your Muslim friends will be tired, hungry and thirsty!
Ramadan Karim is the preferred greeting in the Arabic World. Then Eid Mubarak when its over.

Edit: before the loons arrive ranting about cults etc... Ramadan is basically what lent would be like if Christians did it properly. Only shorter.

Edit2:

Fasting during Lent was more prominent in ancient times than today. Socrates Scholasticus reports that in some places, all animal products were strictly forbidden, while various others permitted fish, or fish and fowl, others prohibited fruit and eggs, and still others permitted only bread. In many places, the observant abstained from food for a whole day until the evening, and at sunset, Western Christians traditionally broke the Lenten fast, which was often known as the Black Fast.[46][47] In India and Pakistan, many Christians continue this practice of fasting until sunset on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, with some fasting in this manner throughout the whole season of Lent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent#Fasting_and_abstinence

Vega1447

If you have colleagues or neighbours who are Muslim the will most likely be fasting today.

Why not greet them with a simple 'Ramadan Kareem" or "Ramadan Mubarak". They will appreciate it the same way that I appreciate it when mu Muslim friends and colleagues wish me a Happy Christmas.

I don't have any Muslim friends but if I did it would be hypocritical to sympathise with them over self-inflicted discomforts.

I *could* offer them spag bol made with pork meatballs washed down with a nice Chianti.

But I won't.

Because I couldn't be bothered.

Vega1447

Ramadan Karim is the preferred greeting in the Arabic World. Then Eid Mubarak when its over.

Edit: before the loons arrive ranting about cults etc... Ramadan is basically what lent would be like if Christians did it properly. Only shorter.
*Cough* Ireland isn't in the "Arabic world".

blinding

They shouldn’t be going to work if they are unable to perform their job and in fact they are a liability in some of the more hazardous roles i.e. Construction . Somebody that is not drinking or eating in daylight hours particularly in hot weather should not be let past the entrance of any hazardous working place . They are a danger to themselves and particularly to other people who have no belief in their fooked up Sky Fairy .

hollandia

They shouldn’t be going to work if they are unable to perform their job and in fact they are a liability in some of the more hazardous roles i.e. Construction . Somebody that is not drinking or eating in daylight hours particularly in hot weather should not be let past the entrance of any hazardous working place . They are a danger to themselves and particularly to other people who have no belief in their fooked up Sky Fairy .
Yeah. That's right. One fifth of the world grinds to a halt for 29 days :roll:

blinding

I have worked with some muslims in the construction industry during Ramadan i.e. not drinking or eating during daylight hours . They were not safe to work with and they were not able to physically carry out their duties . They were letting down their work colleagues by not being able to do their jobs and they were also a danger to themselves . This is hardly surprising when they are neither drinking or eating doing daylight hours for 29 days . They should not be allowed past the entrance to any hazardous workplace . They are a danger to themselves and to any one that can be affected by them ‘ working ‘ in an unfit state .

We hear so much about safety but if an ordinary person turned up for work in the state muslims that are not drinking or eating during daylight hours they would be sent home on safety grounds . There should be no exception for Sky fairy worshippers . Ask people who work on hazardous jobs do they want to work with someone who is not Drinking or Eating during daylight hours . I have done it . They were a danger to themselves and to me . I will no longer work with someone coming to work in such a condition . It is too dangerous .

CatullusV

I've never seen it as a workplace problem. They can eat after sundown and again before dawn. Many of the imams are pragmatic enough to allow for dispensations in some circumstances.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie

I never got an Easter Egg or Christmas present from a Muslim so they can bugger off.

silverharp

oddly enough Intermittent fasting is catching on as a way to improve one's health however dry fasting in hot countries is bonkers. Wait for the stories to roll in from around the world of people killed or beaten because they tried to buy or sell a bottle of water.

CatullusV

I have worked with some muslims in the construction industry during Ramadan i.e. not drinking or eating during daylight hours . They were not safe to work with and they were not able to physically carry out their duties . They were letting down their work colleagues by not being able to do their jobs and they were also a danger to themselves . This is hardly surprising when they are neither drinking or eating doing daylight hours for 29 days . They should not be allowed past the entrance to any hazardous workplace . They are a danger to themselves and to any one that can be affected by them ‘ working ‘ in an unfit state .

We hear so much about safety but if an ordinary person turned up for work in the state muslims that are not drinking or eating during daylight hours they would be sent home on safety grounds . There should be no exception for Sky fairy worshippers . Ask people who work on hazardous jobs do they want to work with someone who is not Drinking or Eating during daylight hours . I have done it . They were a danger to themselves and to me . I will no longer work with someone coming to work in such a condition . It is too dangerous .
Nonsense. I worked with a Muslim who was a competitive amateur boxer. When Ramadan 2012 came around he maintained his rigorous training schedule. He never seemed to flag for the entire period.

blinding

I've never seen it as a workplace problem. They can eat after sundown and again before dawn. Many of the imams are pragmatic enough to allow for dispensations in some circumstances.
Yes the Imans can give them dispensation if they pay some money . Many Muslims choose not to do this and prefer not to DRINK eat doing daylight hours .

Do you honestly think that someone that is doing physical work in such a condition are safe to work with . I have done it and they are not . They are not drinking water during daylight hours in very long days i.e. only a few hours of darkness when hopefully they are getting some sleep . Any human being doing this and working in a physical and hazardous workplace are a danger to themselves and sadly also to people working where they can be put in danger by them . The reason I know so much about this is because I have worked with Muslime in those conditions . They were unable to carry their share of the workload ( not surprisingly ) and they were dangerous to be in the vicinity of .

Gurdiev77

I don't have any Muslim friends but if I did it would be hypocritical to sympathise with them over self-inflicted discomforts.

I *could* offer them spag bol made with pork meatballs washed down with a nice Chianti.

But I won't.

Because I couldn't be bothered.
Jaysus whats the matter with you ?

Sync

Yeah. That's right. One fifth of the world grinds to a halt for 29 days :roll:
Yeah everyone just works around it. People come in earlier, leave earlier etc. It depends what country you're in, obviously it's easier to do this in some countries than others due to the amount of sunlight. It just doesn't impact multinationals who take account of the multitude of different religious needs of staff.

blinding

Nonsense. I worked with a Muslim who was a competitive amateur boxer. When Ramadan 2012 came around he maintained his rigorous training schedule. He never seemed to flag for the entire period.
Was he working for a 10 / 12 hour shift in the construction industry for example . Not everyone is an amateur boxer by the way . Some of these fellas could well be overweight jumbos needing a diet but not that diet . They are a danger to themselves and any unfortunate that happen to be working with them .

Gurdiev77

Probably no more a liability in hazardous roles than those nursing a hangover from a feed of beer the night before.

Gurdiev77

They usually eat and drink very well after sundown and breakfast very well before sunrise. Lack of fluids might be a problem in very hot, arid climates, but certainly not in Northern Europe.

blinding

Yeah everyone just works around it. People come in earlier, leave earlier etc. It depends what country you're in, obviously it's easier to do this in some countries than others due to the amount of sunlight. It just doesn't impact multinationals who take account of the multitude of different religious needs of staff.
Have you / would you work with someone on a construction site in hot weather that some is not drinking or eating during daylight hours . I can tell you from experience that they are not carrying their share of the workload ( not surprisingly ) and are a danger to themselves and others .

If a non sky fairy worker announced he / she was going to not drink or eat in daylight hours you would refuse to work with them on the grounds that they are unable to do their share of the work and are dangerous to work with .

Spirit Of Newgrange

are they still allowed to sign on for their dole during Ramadan ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies