• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Rangers FC supporters to help fund Glasgow's 'Famine memorial'.

theloner

Supporters of the Scottish Third Division outfit have pledged to help fund a memorial in Glasgow to the victims of the ‘Great Irish Famine’. The Rangers Supporters Assembly has given its backing. A year after New Labour came into power in Britain, Tony Blair PM apologised for Britain's role in the famine saying the government had 'failed their people'. Now the RSA has pledged funding for this new memorial.

“The Irish Famine was a terrible tragedy for the whole of that island and also had an effect in the north of Scotland,” said RSA president Andy Kerr.

It's a far cry from the infamous 'Famine Song' sang by a section of the Rangers' support. This will go a long way to improve relations between the two big rivals in Glasgow, and perhaps make amends for 'The John B. Sails' cover that directly poked fun inadvertently at the Irish Famine, which affected many of differing traditions across the country as famine is a non-sectarian event.

The decision has been applauded by all Scottish parties and a welcomed development to help build a fitting memorial and although a lighter subject, albeit about a sad issue, it's designed to help lighten the mood on the NI forum that has been at a low over the last few days. There has been some vicious name calling and quite chilling jokes in this forum, so here's a good story coming from Glasgow about a new Famine memorial that is to be erected. I know there are quite a few Celtic and Rangers supporters in the NI forum, hence posting here, if it's moved by our eagle-eyed mods, c'est la vie.

Rangers supporters group to donate money towards construction of Potato Famine memorial - Top stories - Scotsman.com

Global Justice

Saw this posted on londongegory's FB profile page by a RTID NI member the other day, though unsurprisingly it got no attention, unlike other comments on his FB page that slander and attack anything related to Irishness which get dozens of replies in laughter and bile.

Anyway, good to see this and definitely a step in the right direction. So well done to all those involved in this initiative.

InsideImDancing

Supporters of the Scottish Third Division outfit have pledged to help fund a memorial in Glasgow to the victims of the ‘Great Irish Famine’. The Rangers Supporters Assembly has given its backing. A year after New Labour came into power in Britain, Tony Blair PM apologised for Britain's role in the famine saying the government had 'failed their people'. Now the RSA has pledged funding for this new memorial.

“The Irish Famine was a terrible tragedy for the whole of that island and also had an effect in the north of Scotland,” said RSA president Andy Kerr.

It's a far cry from the infamous 'Famine Song' sang by a section of the Rangers' support. This will go a long way to improve relations between the two big rivals in Glasgow, and perhaps make amends for 'The John B. Sails' cover that directly poked fun inadvertently at the Irish Famine, which affected many of differing traditions across the country as famine is a non-sectarian event.

The decision has been applauded by all Scottish parties and a welcomed development to help build a fitting memorial and although a lighter subject, albeit about a sad issue, it's designed to help lighten the mood on the NI forum that has been at a low over the last few days. There has been some vicious name calling and quite chilling jokes in this forum, so here's a good story coming from Glasgow about a new Famine memorial that is to be erected. I know there are quite a few Celtic and Rangers supporters in the NI forum, hence posting here, if it's moved by our eagle-eyed mods, c'est la vie.

Rangers supporters group to donate money towards construction of Potato Famine memorial - Top stories - Scotsman.com
Fair fks to them, this sort of thing helps in the long run.

eskrimador

Nice one. Hope it makes some people think

Just Jack

Saw this on the new last night.

One guy said when he found out ‘Protestants perished too’ that it was ‘worthy of support’

centauro

What about protestants who died in the famine. Fiddlers feck?
To be honest i'd be more concerned about those who are starving to death in the horn of Africa today, the money could be better spent.

fontenoy

To be honest i'd be more concerned about those who are starving to death in the horn of Africa today, the money could be better spent.
Fair comment, the dead are dead but I see it as a worthy gesture by Rangers fans to contribute to a memorial and I applaud them for it.

belfast1981

A pretty good gesture, as many from this island still travel to see them each week.

Mickeymac

I cried when Ireland won the Grand Slam. Greatest day of me life. :)

I cried when Ireland beat the Italians in the Giant's Stadium, thanks to the Huns, I cried later for very different reasons.

vivabrigada

It's OKAY to be Gay 'theloner'.
Not if you are in the DUP!
I jest, fair play to these Rangers supporters. It reminds me of when Rangers supporters got their bus to stop at Parkhead to pay their respects to Tommy Burns when he died.
A wee bit of respect and dignity can go a long way.
(although, I bet they were screaming blue murder at each other at the next old firm game, I can live with that)

Northtipp

Not if you are in the DUP!
I jest, fair play to these Rangers supporters. It reminds me of when Rangers supporters got their bus to stop at Parkhead to pay their respects to Tommy Burns when he died.
A wee bit of respect and dignity can go a long way.
(although, I bet they were screaming blue murder at each other at the next old firm game, I can live with that)

Couldn't agree more.