• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Rapist told woman he was HIV positive as he laughed at her

Chi019

Is 9 years with 2 years suspended sufficient penalty for this crime?

A man who laughed in a woman’s face as he pinned her to a bed and raped her and then told her that he was HIV positive and had hepatitis C has been jailed for nine years with two years suspended.

Lovemore Dube (25), who was born in Zimbabwe, has a South African passport and came to Ireland in 2005, pleaded guilty to raping the woman in her home in Cork, and to the theft of house keys, on July 23rd, 2012.

At the Central Criminal Court sitting in Cork yesterday, Mr Justice Paul Carney said Dube had abused the woman’s hospitality by returning to rape her when she was alone in the house less than an hour after she and her fiance had invited him in for coffee as it was raining.

“When he was left alone with his victim, he effected a long, gratuitously violent and gratuitously insulting rape which left the victim severely injured and severely traumatised,” Mr Justice Carney said.
Rapist told woman he was HIV positive as he laughed at her - The Irish Times - Fri, Feb 01, 2013

GabhaDubh

Rape as one charge, but where were the additional charges for attempted murder, from either the choking or potential death sentence from HIV infection.

stopdoingstuff

It's hard not to want to kill that guy. In fact, it's hard not to want to kill rapists in general. But murder is murder no matter who does it, even the state, so lock him up for life in solitary.

fontenoy

It's hard not to want to kill that guy. In fact, it's hard not to want to kill rapists in general. But murder is murder no matter who does it, even the state, so lock him up for life in solitary.
Agreed, but skip the locking up part my taxes pay for his food. Death penalty!

Dame_Enda

After serving his sentence he should be deported forthwith, as should all non-EEA nationals who commit serious sexual or violent offences. Such criminals have outstayed their welcome.

timhorgan

Chi019;6370536]Is 9 years with 2 years suspended sufficient penalty for this crime?
Lovemore is a very common name in Zimbabwe and Dube although generally regarded these days as a traditional Ndebele name is originally a Kalanga name: the Kalanga even today maintain a fairly distinct culture and do not regard themselves as Ndebele. The Kalanga are spread over both sides of the Limpopo which probably explains how he is Zimbabwean with a SA passport. Joshua Nkomo was probably the most important Kalanga in modern-day Zimbabwe.

In the remote rural areas they do not care much for the Ndebele and even less for the majority Shona (Mugabe & Co) to the North.After Independence Mugabe reciprocated these sentiments with the Gukurahundi-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gukurahundi

HIV/Aids is widespread in Zimbabwe with over 10% of the population infected- rising to well over 20% in some sexually-active groups (Ireland - 0.16%). This % rises substantially when chidren/older people are excluded. It is particularly high in the ZNA - Zimbabwe National Army. There are in excess of 1,000,000 aids-related orphans in Zimbabwe.

Last edited:

thetruthspeaks

God that's horrific reading.
There are some evil people out there.
Hope the victim finds a way to recover - I read that the tests came back negative -thank god.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Is 9 years with 2 years suspended sufficient penalty for this crime?
I don't think so. But then, we are relatively very lenient on violent criminals. A position I find depressing.

GDPR

I hope his 7 years is the hardest time possible for him, the bastard.

daveL

I hope he receives the exact same treatment every day of his 7 years.

Why exactly were 2 years suspended?

Johnnybaii

Where was her fiancée? Why invite a stranger in?

Where in Cork was this?

Terrible story.

Boy M5

I reckon at least 20 years. Oh and on the toughest landing in the Joy.
The horror of the rape is overlaid with the HIV and hepatitis infection.

Mikey Moloney

After serving his sentence he should be deported forthwith, as should all non-EEA nationals who commit serious sexual or violent offences. Such criminals have outstayed their welcome.
You're joking aren't you? Shatter is probably planning to award him citizenship seeing as he will have been in the country a few years.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies