Rare interview with Oglach Mairead Farrell.

Golah veNekhar

"Yet they were of a different kind,
The names that stilled your childish play,
They have gone about the world like wind,
But little time had they to pray
For whom the hangman’s rope was spun,
And what, God help us, could they save?
Romantic Ireland’s dead and gone,
It’s with O’Leary in the grave."

Casting aside politics for a moment she was a really amazing human person in and of herself. She died before I was born but at the same NOT THAT LONG BEFORE. The fact that someone like her walked this soil so very recently I think should inspire hope no matter how dark things seem.We are all products of our time. Under the situation she was in she strove for lucidity and with that a sense to do her duty no matter what the cost. She was in very many ways a very "girly girl" but when you look at that interview and others with her you see no narcissism. The PIRA lost the war, and much worse now Sinn Fein have abandoned all dreams of national liberation and even oppose the idea of an independent unitary Irish state ,yes, and Ireland is in a mess unimaginable when she died, yes, however I don't think her life was a waste. I think she gave Irish women and girsl an ideal to try and live up to. That is a very major thing. If I die one fifth of the person she was it would be more than I ever in the height of my arrogance dreamed.

McTell

Twitter
No
Just another "useful idiot", nothing to see here.

Speedfreak

There are a fair number of this type of woman in the north.

Intelligent, highly determined ultra nationalists, deemed "patriot" by some, "terrorist" or other near equivalent term by most others.

For example here is another interesting interview with another NI female ultra nationalist, perhaps a contemporary reincarnation of this same type of Northern woman - who similarly see themselves as a "patriot", fighting for Irish "freedom" and so on.

We ignore them at our peril, for the family often plays the key role in both radicalisation of young minds and producing terrorists. Or here is an interesting study on the phenomenon - https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02589346.2019.1642681?af=R&journalCode=cpsa20

Gnobe

Old map of 1980s Belfast there, wonder how much different it is from today? I have an interest in old maps of NI, trying to get a hold of 1950s-1980s Belfast ones but its not that easy.

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
Shouldn't her rank be "beanoglach"?

Super Caley

"Yet they were of a different kind,
The names that stilled your childish play,
They have gone about the world like wind,
But little time had they to pray
For whom the hangman’s rope was spun,
And what, God help us, could they save?
Romantic Ireland’s dead and gone,
It’s with O’Leary in the grave."

Casting aside politics for a moment she was a really amazing human person in and of herself. She died before I was born but at the same NOT THAT LONG BEFORE. The fact that someone like her walked this soil so very recently I think should inspire hope no matter how dark things seem.We are all products of our time. Under the situation she was in she strove for lucidity and with that a sense to do her duty no matter what the cost. She was in very many ways a very "girly girl" but when you look at that interview and others with her you see no narcissism. The PIRA lost the war, and much worse now Sinn Fein have abandoned all dreams of national liberation and even oppose the idea of an independent unitary Irish state ,yes, and Ireland is in a mess unimaginable when she died, yes, however I don't think her life was a waste. I think she gave Irish women and girsl an ideal to try and live up to. That is a very major thing. If I die one fifth of the person she was it would be more than I ever in the height of my arrogance dreamed.

Only someone too young to remember the 1980s could write such utter romanticised b*ll*x

She was a brainwashed imbecile, a pathetic foot soldier, who not only paid for it with her own life, but in death she and her Gibraltar comrades triggered one of the most grotesque weeks of sectarian tit for tat slaughter (but you'd be too young to remember that too of course)

Certainly no ideal there for girls to try to live up to

Talk Back

Only someone too young to remember the 1980s could write such utter romanticised b*ll*x

She was a brainwashed imbecile, a pathetic foot soldier, who not only paid for it with her own life, but in death she and her Gibraltar comrades triggered one of the most grotesque weeks of sectarian tit for tat slaughter (but you'd be too young to remember that too of course)

Certainly no ideal there for girls to try to live up to
The Nazis sprouted similar rhetoric about the French Resistance.

Mickeymac

The Nazis sprouted similar rhetoric about the French Resistance.

Worse rhetoric was directed at Nationalists in the six counties BEFORE the jackboots of the BA came into Nationalist areas in the six counties....not to quell armed insurrection....quite the contrary and only to stop the civil rights campaign designed to ensure a vote, home and a job, free of discrimination....all failed of course even the slaughter on Bloody Sunday will not stop a new Ireland of equals where such injustices will be outlawed.

Talk Back

Worse rhetoric was directed at Nationalists in the six counties BEFORE the jackboots of the BA came into Nationalist areas in the six counties....not to quell armed insurrection....quite the contrary and only to stop the civil rights campaign designed to ensure a vote, home and a job, free of discrimination....all failed of course even the slaughter on Bloody Sunday will not stop a new Ireland of equals where such injustices will be outlawed.
Peter Mass - the famous author who wrote the book Serpico, also wrote the Introduction to a book about Ireland called 'Ten Men Dead: The Story of the 1981 Irish Hunger Strike'

Maas is on record for comparing the occupying enemy British army marching through the streets of the Irish city Belfast, with Nazis with Jackboots marching through the streets of some other city - Paris I think

Mickeymac

Peter Mass - the famous author who wrote the book Serpico, also wrote the Introduction to a book about Ireland called 'Ten Men Dead: The Story of the 1981 Irish Hunger Strike'

Maas is on record for comparing the occupying enemy British army marching through the streets of the Irish city Belfast, with Nazis with Jackboots marching through the streets of some other city - Paris I think

Absolutely 100% TB, Always remembered his quote from that great publication.

Talk Back

Absolutely 100% TB, Always remembered his quote from that great publication.
The world is on our side MM - not the occupier England or its spawn here, the Unionists.

People know who the good guys are in Ireland's ongoing struggle for the freedom of our country.

Mickeymac

The world is on our side MM - not the occupier England or its spawn here, the Unionists.

People know who the good guys are in Ireland's ongoing struggle for the freedom of our country.

Indeed sir, the SF Ard Fheis surpassed any political conference I have seen on film, I give it the WOW factor.

New Threads

Most Replies