Rasharkin Intimidation Takes a Sinister Turn

fluffykontbiscuits

You've lost me there.

I know the SDLP didn't represent the IRA. That's the point. Those murders were committed to undermine them, and moderate Unionists.

My point is that the SDLP is moderate, and would have done a deal with Unionists (a bit like the one the IRA did 30 years later, but let's not count bodies, eh?). SF/IRA didn't want a comprimise, they wanted a war which they believed they would win (you do have to laugh, but whatever), so they regularly committed what you yourself call appalling & immoral murders to keep Unionists angry and in no mood to comprimise with the SDLP, and also to encourage Loyalists to carry out reprisal murders, thus keeping both communities in the grip of the nutters.

SF/IRA and Loyalists/Paisleyites- two sides of the same coin.

Very good post mate. I think the Unionists need to realise that they are the ones falling for the tactics of the RA heads and deal with SDLP as a seperate issue from SF/RA. Once Sinners sees this they will be quick enough taking the gun out of politics . "SF/IRA and Loyalists/Paisleyites- two sides of the same coin" sums it up very well.

Cabbage/Turnip

Just seen on sky news threat from irish paras now raised to substanial level meaning an attack is very likely in great britian? dont know who to start threats another brighton could make things very different in the north

picador

Very good post mate. I think the Unionists need to realise that they are the ones falling for the tactics of the RA heads and deal with SDLP as a seperate issue from SF/RA. Once Sinners sees this they will be quick enough taking the gun out of politics . "SF/IRA and Loyalists/Paisleyites- two sides of the same coin" sums it up very well.
It is not the 1970s

picador

You've lost me there.

I know the SDLP didn't represent the IRA. That's the point. Those murders were committed to undermine them, and moderate Unionists.

My point is that the SDLP is moderate, and would have done a deal with Unionists (a bit like the one the IRA did 30 years later, but let's not count bodies, eh?). SF/IRA didn't want a comprimise, they wanted a war which they believed they would win (you do have to laugh, but whatever), so they regularly committed what you yourself call appalling & immoral murders to keep Unionists angry and in no mood to comprimise with the SDLP, and also to encourage Loyalists to carry out reprisal murders, thus keeping both communities in the grip of the nutters.

SF/IRA and Loyalists/Paisleyites- two sides of the same coin.
The SDLP did do a deal with unionists. It was called Sunningdale. That deal was brought down because the majority of unionists opposed power-sharing on principle.

picador

Just seen on sky news threat from irish paras now raised to substanial level meaning an attack is very likely in great britian? dont know who to start threats another brighton could make things very different in the north
Call me cynical but it could be MI5 trying to protect their budget.

picador

I was expecting you to roll your eyes at what I said in my last post Picador and just put it down to my fixation with republicanism. I'm glad that you didn't though. There's not much point spending some time on an open internet forum just to go looking for point scoring and isn't why I keep coming back here.
damon, do not try and teach a granny to suck eggs. I know what the IRA did and I know how they did it. Do you know what state forces and loyalists did? Do you understand that nationalists / republicans are just as prone to react to events as unionists / loyalists are? Human nature can be very ugly - but it doesn't have to be.

SevenStars

Uh...The Provisional IRA decomissioned a while back now wassums.

Also the gun if not of politics. There remains a huge British militarary presence in this country (though for the moment confined to base).

damon

damon, do not try and teach a granny to suck eggs. I know what the IRA did and I know how they did it. Do you know what state forces and loyalists did? Do you understand that nationalists / republicans are just as prone to react to events as unionists / loyalists are? Human nature can be very ugly - but it doesn't have to be.
I think I understand those things as much as I'm able.
In the meantime Picador, it would be a bit more interesting to hear you come out with your opinions on some threads about gays in NI or indeed visits to the Rebublic you have made and how you feel NI compares with the Republic.
I feel the difference. NI feels British in a way the Republic feels particularly Irish.
Do you picador travel to the Republic much?
Do you feel you're ''at home'' there more than back in NI?

picador

I think I understand those things as much as I'm able.
In the meantime Picador, it would be a bit more interesting to hear you come out with your opinions on some threads about gays in NI or indeed visits to the Rebublic you have made and how you feel NI compares with the Republic.
I feel the difference. NI feels British in a way the Republic feels particularly Irish.
Do you picador travel to the Republic much?
Do you feel you're ''at home'' there more than back in NI?
I lived down south for several years. I lived in England for several years. My hometown is Belfast.

damon

The Billy the puppet/muppet comments are quite very poignant I think though.
see all the Armagh flags fluttering and Down flags proudly flying on both sides of Newry, see pubs full of Gaa fans, see the mountains and fields (and even family homes and farms) that straddle the border, see the suburbs of Derry City that stretch into County Donegal
That is so similar to John Major's vision of England.
Fifty years on from now, Britain will still be the country of long shadows on cricket grounds, warm beer, invincible green suburbs, dog lovers and pools fillers and, as George Orwell said, 'Old maids bicycling to holy communion through the morning mist' and, if we get our way, Shakespeare will still be read even in school.

Portstewart

The SDLP did do a deal with unionists. It was called Sunningdale. That deal was brought down because the majority of unionists opposed power-sharing on principle.
An absolute lie. It was the council of Ireland stuff and the comments from that idiot from the SDLP that did for Sunningdale.

Most unionists have advocated power sharing as the best way of governing NI since the 1970s.

Just Jack

Protestants hatred of our people led them to bring down sunningdale through strikes.

They hate catholics and didnt and dont want to share power with us.

It was the IRA gun that got them to cave in, they know the alternative and we will be the majority soon.
This is a bit ridiculous

Not all Protestants hate Catholics you know, many of them were leading figures in the Civil Rights Movement.

Just Jack

An absolute lie. It was the council of Ireland stuff and the comments from that idiot from the SDLP that did for Sunningdale.
What was that?

Portstewart

What was that?
The council of Ireland will be the vehicle that trundles NI into a united Ireland comments or something along those lines, can't remember who said it but it was a most idiotic thing to say at that particular time.

Just Jack

The council of Ireland will be the vehicle that trundles NI into a united Ireland comments or something along those lines, can't remember who said it but it was a most idiotic thing to say at that particular time.

Ah, remember now.

Think it was Seamus Mallon?

fluffykontbiscuits

Putting the second university in a small protestant town instead of a catholic city.

The evidence of your dirty deeds in power are still to be seen today.

A protestant parliment for a protestant people brought down by the IRA gun.
Are you reading too much Tim pat Coogan?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies