Rasharkin Intimidation Takes a Sinister Turn

Portstewart

The quote was 'the vehicle which will trundle us into an Irish republic'.

Add in the continued level of violence and to most unionists it was made to appear that Sunningdale was a Trojan Horse.
Yep, and power sharing with the SDLP was very far from the major sticking point.

No council of Ireland and I think most Unionists would have accepted Sunningdale.

picador

Ah, remember now.

Think it was Seamus Mallon?
No, it was Hugh Logue. He's almost as famous as the unknown SF guy who said every word of Irish spoken was a bullet in the cause of Irish freedom.

Anyway now we got the NSMC.

Cruimh

Yep, and power sharing with the SDLP was very far from the major sticking point.

No council of Ireland and I think most Unionists would have accepted Sunningdale.
Indeed - If you read Paddy Devlin's Autobiography - "Straight Left" - a fascinating look at the negotions and what went on.

Faulkner , in agreeing to the principle of establishing a COI, got a cast Iron commitment from the ROI that there could be no change in the status of NI without the agreement of the majority - something which was lodged with the United nations.

Scipio

The quote was 'the vehicle which will trundle us into an Irish republic'.

Add in the continued level of violence and to most unionists it was made to appear that Sunningdale was a Trojan Horse.
If one quote could do it, then reason suggests they weren't exactly taken with the idea in the first place.

Robert Kee, that venerable British writer/historian, makes an interesting point in his Green Flag trilogy on recent Irish history, namely that the only county in NI in 1918 with a 2:1 Unionist voting majority was Antrim, while there were only 4 counties with Unionist majorities at all. Hence by any normal democratic standard it was more than a little strange on the part of the British government to create a state against the wishes of the vast majority of country, and especially one where Nationalists would be (and are) a bigger minority than Unionists would ever have been in a UI.

Either partition along the lines of Antrim, East Derry, North Down, and North Armagh should have been granted (à la what the Boundary Commission failed to do), or there should have been an autonomous Home Rule parliament in Ulster under the jurisdiction of Dublin pushed through before, or just after, the 1918 election.

Last edited:

Cruimh

Well, let's try it another way. You were there, after all. If that quote had not been made, would Unionists have not toppled Sunningdale?
It wasn't just that remark though - that is the point that we have been making Scipio.

In response to wicador's dishonest

That deal was brought down because the majority of unionists opposed power-sharing on principle.

Scipio

It wasn't just that remark though - that is the point that we have been making Scipio.
I have come to the conclusion (in which of course I could be mistaken) that overall, Unionists were simply not ready for the broadbased powersharing Sunningdale entailed in 1973. Individually, many were of course, but most of the powers that be in Unionist leadership ranks were intent on scuppering it, and scupper it they did.

Luckily nothing as pernicious as the Vanguard existed in 1998 to do the same.

Cabbage/Turnip

the old majority rule where universities were put in protestant towns instead of catholic cities.

We will be in the majority soon, then they'll be an end to powersharing and the boot will be on the green foot.

Tick tock.
you know i think you are a ranting loon.. but i did always wonder UU was in coleraine as its a dump... Omagh newry dungannon have alot more going on.. although portstewart is a great uni town

Cruimh

I have come to the conclusion (in which of course I could be mistaken) that overall, Unionists were simply not ready for the broadbased powersharing Sunningdale entailed in 1973. Individually, many were of course, but most of the powers that be in Unionist leadership ranks were intent on scuppering it, and scupper it they did.

Luckily nothing as pernicious as the Vanguard existed in 1998 to do the same.
I don't think anybody was prepared for power sharing mate. Many nationalists saw it as a trojan horse - incidentally reinforcing fears about loyalty to the state - rather than an end in itself as a means to the running of Northern Ireland as part of the UK.

Cruimh

NO PUTTING IT IN A MUCH SMALLER TOWN CLOSER TO THE EXISTING UNIVERSITY FOR THE SOLE REASON TO MAKE IT MORE DIFFICULT FOR CATHOLICS IN THE WEST TO GET EDUCATED (MORE EXPENSIVE, PUT OFF BY IT BEING LOCATED IN A UNIONIST AREA) WAS ONE OF THE HALLMARKS OF YOUR PEOPLES DIRTY REGIME THAT WAS BROUGHT DOWN BY THE IRA GUN.

wAIT UNTIL YOU ARE IN THE MINORITY.

UNIONISM- A FILTHY AFRIKKANER IDEALOLOGY
Why are you shouting ?

Cabbage/Turnip

seems strange billy boy comes along when he is banned... use the sterotype paddy to piss people off for a few days before he returns?

and tick tock was one of those phrases BC used to react to and now billy says it with 100 posts maybe i am paranoid

Cabbage/Turnip

BC wasn't illiterate and moronic ;)
also not stupid hence his ability to act exactly like what he despises... i just cant accept just an ape as billy can come on and within days knows how to run things way too strange

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies