• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Rathkeale......an observation...wow

eskerman

I was on some business in Limerick today and found myself by accident in Rathkeale.

I have never in my life seen such a display of high value cars being driven by what looked to me like the "travellers". I could not believe what I saw today, we are talking about "high-end-top of the range motors", all very new looking on UK plates

Ranger Rovers Vogues
BWM X5s fully loaded
Porches Carrera's
Hummer's
BMW 7 Series
BMW 8 Series
Pathfinders
BMW X6s

There were lots of them driving around the town and up into some of the housing estates that looked like they were taken over, massive caravans parked in gardens, and out on the roads...

It was like another world and I really could not believe my eyes. Of course it was also pretty jammed with Transits and Hiace's..

That town looks like its got a bit of a problem..is it the hive..?

Penny for the baba, sir..!
:eek:

DCon

I was on some business in Limerick today and found myself by accident in Rathkeale.

I have never in my life seen such a display of high value cars being driven by what looked to me like the "travellers". I could not believe what I saw today, we are talking about "high-end-top of the range motors", all very new looking on UK plates

Ranger Rovers Vogues
BWM X5s fully loaded
Porches Carrera's
Hummer's
BMW 7 Series
BMW 8 Series
Pathfinders
BMW X6s

There were lots of them driving around the town and up into some of the housing estates that looked like they were taken over, massive caravans parked in gardens, and out on the roads...

It was like another world and I really could not believe my eyes. Of course it was also pretty jammed with Transits and Hiace's..

That town looks like its got a bit of a problem..is it the hive..?

Penny for the baba, sir..!
:eek:
bandit country of the highest order.

I would not stray out that way again if I were you.

Dr. Astro

These are the type of people that whnge about their Christmas "Bonus" being stopped. Never programs about these on RTE in relation to Social Welfare fraud either.

beanie

eskerman

It was jaw dropping stuff..I never in my life saw anything like it, it was like the town was taken over, and lots of houses either barred up windows of packed with caravans and top of the range cars..

I did see a garda station but it too looked barred up..

Lawless..???

Abrax

Maybe 50 Cent and his entourage came to say a prayer at the holy stump?.

rhonda15

They're all come home for Christmas from far afield

Drive through the town in June and there will be no comparison as to the numbers of our travelling friends in the fair town of Rathkeale

Victor Meldrew

Yep,

Eskerman, If you were a cat, you would have used up one of your lives today.

Had a similar experience when my wife decided to educate me about Fassaroe near Bray. T'was like Mad Max 2.

eskerman

They're all come home for Christmas from far afield

Drive through the town in June and there will be no comparison as to the numbers of our travelling friends in the fair town of Rathkeale
Well its most unlikely I will be heading in there again, I didn't feel comfortable at all, wanted to get to a Chemist and decided to bail out and try somewhere else.

I never knew that a town could have been so taken over..?

Must be a no-go area when their all on the triple vintage..

It was pedal to the metal for me big time..:?

mmrebel

Guess who has appeared on a stump there now....................................

mmrebel

On a more serious note have some friends living up the road in Newcastlewest and Adare they reckon its only a recent thing the last few years with all the travelers appearing there.
How did it come about does anyone know ?

Daito

Eamon Dillon's book "The Outsiders" covers some of the inhabitants of Rathkeale, particularly in chapters 1 & 2.

I found it a strangely compelling insight into a world that is difficult to understand.
I'd suggest it as a great Christmas book. Amazon link with reviews below.....

Synopsis

"The Outsiders" is a unique glimpse into the secretive world of Irish travellers where prejudice, crime and a burning loyalty to family, clan and tradition has made the community impervious to external influences. Over a four year period, investigative journalist Eamon Dillon has documented modern Irish travellers. He reveals their worldwide drive to succeed, which often takes them beyond the bounds of acceptable behaviour. From Bejing to Texas, Longford to London, Irish travellers have shown an incredible ability to surmount the obstacles of racism, ignorance and physical hardship to become modern day pavee princes who refuse to the bend to the arbitrary rules of a society where they remain 'the outsiders'.

The Outsiders: Exposing the Secretive World of Ireland's Travellers: Amazon.co.uk: Eamon Dillon: Books

Tommy Tayto

If ever there was a case for a Berlin wall type scenario in Ireland, Rathkeale would be it. Downtown Kabul wouldn't get a look in. It really is the belly of the beast, it's practically Taliban held territory.

liamfoley

Wow, a lot of silliness here, the crime rate for Rathkeale, for example, is no higher than for many other towns of comparable size. Not my cup of tea, and this sad since it has a very interesting history, but so what?

sakhee

On a more serious note have some friends living up the road in Newcastlewest and Adare they reckon its only a recent thing the last few years with all the travelers appearing there.
How did it come about does anyone know ?
I don't know how it came about but the travellers have been in Rathkeale for many years.I recall being out there about 25 years ago and driving around looking at all these large houses boarded up with caravans in the driveways and big cars everywhere.Not a place to spend too much time in right enough, although I know people who were born and reared there and they don't report much in the way of problems.I'm sure some of the publicans and shop owners would tell you different though.For the non traveller Rathkeale people it is the equally non traveller people of Askeaton etc that they would have most of their scrapes with.

Abacus

Well when you are discriminated against, and rejected and prevented from taking your rightful place in your own society, you have to find your own way in the world. When no one wants you except your own class and everyone else puts the Guards on you sure what else would you do but fight back and show the world that you are as good as the best of them.

When you have saved up your dole money and done loads of jobs for the old and feeble and helped them out in their out of the way places, shure aren't you entitled to a little of life's comforts ?
And your Granny has left you some money and you've won a few shillings on the horses and ye have a little sideline going importing them Chinese fags and all done by your own sweat and blood and not a penny of it by cheating like them bankers, why can't our traveller folk be left in peace to enjoy the fruits of their efforts.
Now d'ja see where we're coming from ? It's our rights and if them Guards can't show how we got it illegally well then we got it legit, now didn't we........so whatja on about ?
D'ja want two good tickets for da Heineken Cup, ....as a favour like ?

eskerman

Might be worth sending Richard Boucher-Hayes and his Buyer Beware program down to Rathkeale to see why all the tarmac drives have weeds popping up through them..

On a more serious note, how do these people find that sort of money to buy top-end high value motors..how do they even insure them.

Is this all made from replacing gutters and doing tarmac drives..

Tommy Tayto

Might be worth sending Richard Boucher-Hayes and his Buyer Beware program down to Rathkeale to see why all the tarmac drives have weeds popping up through them..

On a more serious note, how do these people find that sort of money to buy top-end high value motors..how do they even insure them.

Is this all made from replacing gutters and doing tarmac drives..
Systematically preying on the elderly, beating them to within an inch of their life, and then robbing them of their meagre possessions seems to be the main bread winner in the travelling community.

As for the insurance....a quick glance at the court section of any regional newspaper will tell you that for our unique nomadic wanderers, insurance is considered optional. Yay human rights.

Pauli

Rathkeale has been Deliverance country for a long time.