Ray Wilkins dies from heart attack.

eoghanacht

I thought he was the "Butcher".

A good player and a better pundit.
It probably was the butcher.

I just call every Ray, razor, except D'Arcy no explanation needed.

A gentleman by all accounts too.

wombat

RIP, came across as a nice guy, very interesting as a pundit probably the time spent with the great players in Milan gave him a wider perspective than the average talking head.

CatullusV

It probably was the butcher.

I just call every Ray, razor, except D'Arcy no explanation needed.

A gentleman by all accounts too.
Aye. "Razor" was "Razor Ruddock", a man so tough that he burst into tears when equalising for Liverpool against Man U in a 3-3 classic. Wilkins was a lovely footballer to watch, but it was almost as if his playing career was an apprenticeship for his career as a pundit. He was one of the few who made you feel that he was watching the same match you were watching.

He certainly had the reputation of being a gentleman - and it was very widely reported.

AT one stage he covered Italian footie on Sundays and was always well worth watching.

statsman

Fine footballer, very good pundit, and far too young to die. Sad day.

rainmaker

Administrator
Very, very sad news indeed. Came from a footballing family with a pedigree for success - a real credit to English football - he will be mourned by many, many fans.

FOURGREENFIELDS

Excellent player, decent pundit and seemed like a nice fella. It's well known he hit the booze very heavy in recent times and it is sad to see. He done a bit of damage to us, Celtic, in his time in Glasgow but I still had a lot of time for him. His 1983 FA CUP final goal was just sublime. RIP.

Betson

RIP , a young age to die. He was a fine footballer in his day.

flavirostris

Always remember his widow's peak. He was in World up 1986 I think? One of the defenders nutmegged by Maradona for that goal.

D

Deleted member 45466

The joke going around was that the shock of scoring such a wonderful goal, resulted in premature baldness.

flavirostris

He did not play in that game.
Did he not come on as a sub? But yeah, he wasn't one of the defenders left behind by Maradona. That was Peter Reid, Terry Fenwick, Steve Hodge, Peter Beardsley & Terry Butcher I think.

gerhard dengler

RW passed away at a very young age. He was a very classy player, and a very good pundit who didn't resort to using platitudes like so many other pundits.

He was a heart throb back in the day too.

R.I.P.

D

Deleted member 45466

Did he not come on as a sub? But yeah, he wasn't one of the defenders left behind by Maradona. That was Peter Reid, Terry Fenwick, Steve Hodge, Peter Beardsley & Terry Butcher I think.
One of those comedy gold moments watching grey haired Reid, probably a bit on the flabby side for a pro-footballer, huff and puff his way out of the centre circle, as Maradona galloped, Gazelle like, into the English penalty box, to seal his place in ligindary wendy ball lore.

I liked Reid, but, it was obvious he was a "make that a supersize guv" type. Loved his Mum's cooking so much, that his lunch break during training was spent at her gaf, eating some home made pie, and downing a cuppa.

New Threads

Most Replies