Ray Wilkins dies from heart attack.

flavirostris

One of those comedy gold moments watching grey haired Reid, probably a bit on the flabby side for a pro-footballer, huff and puff his way out of the centre circle, as Maradona galloped, Gazelle like, into the English penalty box, to seal his place in ligindary wendy ball lore.

I liked Reid, but, it was obvious he was a "make that a supersize guv" type. Loved his Mum's cooking so much, that his lunch break during training was spent at her gaf, eating some home made pie, and downing a cuppa.
I like Peter Reid as well. The lived-in face and physique more like a truck driver than a professional footballer. Micky Quinn as well. You don't see footballers like that anymore.

D

Deleted member 45466

I like Peter Reid as well. The lived-in face and physique more like a truck driver than a professional footballer. Micky Quinn as well. You don't see footballers like that anymore.
Yeh, there's a lot of preening prima-donnas adorned with tattoos and what not, checking themselves out on the big screen while preparing to take a free kick.

flavirostris

Yeh, there's a lot of preening prima-donnas adorned with tattoos and what not, checking themselves out on the big screen while preparing to take a free kick.
Bring back the honest, hard-working ugly footballers. Gordan Cowans, Nigel Winterburn, Gordon Strachan etc

D

Deleted member 45466

It's become very effete and sterile, hasn't it?

A tommy smith type chasing his prey across the sod, might liven things up.

Even mild mannered Ray Wilkins wasn't shy about throwing the odd punch.

toconn

I'm of the firm opinion that many premier teams actually have hair stylists in the dressing rooms before games . Check out the hair on some of these lads , spurs are the best examples .

CatullusV

One of those comedy gold moments watching grey haired Reid, probably a bit on the flabby side for a pro-footballer, huff and puff his way out of the centre circle, as Maradona galloped, Gazelle like, into the English penalty box, to seal his place in ligindary wendy ball lore.

I liked Reid, but, it was obvious he was a "make that a supersize guv" type. Loved his Mum's cooking so much, that his lunch break during training was spent at her gaf, eating some home made pie, and downing a cuppa.
I remember Reid against Liverpoo once. Liverpool had a throw-in and there two players making themselves available. The player taking the throw dithered as Reid buzzed between the two players. He won the throwin.

CatullusV

I'm of the firm opinion that many premier teams actually have hair stylists in the dressing rooms before games . Check out the hair on some of these lads , spurs are the best examples .
Do you not remember the dodgy perms of the seventies?

When I was a kid my brother used buy Goal and Shoot magazine. There would be a player profile accompanied by a set series of questions: what's your favourite food?;football her etc.

Nowasays, it's questions about their skincare regime etc. Well, players have to keep their sponsors happy.

showbandmanager

You obviously don't remember Hoddle and Waddle on TOTP doing Diamond Lights

D

Deleted member 45466

I remember Reid against Liverpoo once. Liverpool had a throw-in and there two players making themselves available. The player taking the throw dithered as Reid buzzed between the two players. He won the throwin.
Maybe I was a bit harsh on Peter earlier? I just cannot help but laugh at the sight of him running through what seemed like molasses in the center circle of the Azteca in the game versus Maradona (and the other 10 fellas who know one can remember).

He was a very good midfielder, and the cornerstone of a gnarly Everton midfield during the 80s.

I really liked the moment when he pleaded with the ref not to send Kevin Moran off during that FA cup final.

Quality player and an honest pro (the story about going to his mum's place for apple pie delight and tay, during lunch hour, had me in tears too).

D

Deleted member 45466

Terry Mc sporting a nice head of gruaige during the 70s. Classic Liverpool jersey with the generous V neck.

Ah, the footy back then was so much better.

flavirostris

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Peter earlier? I just cannot help but laugh at the sight of him running through what seemed like molasses in the center circle of the Azteca in the game versus Maradona (and the other 10 fellas who know one can remember).

He was a very good midfielder, and the cornerstone of a gnarly Everton midfield during the 80s.

I really liked the moment when he pleaded with the ref not to send Kevin Moran off during that FA cup final.

Quality player and an honest pro (the story about going to his mum's place for apple pie delight and tay, during lunch hour, had me in tears too).

The other Argentinian that sticks out in the mind is Burruchaga. He was a key man in that '86 team.

I've always had a gra for the Argentina lads. 86 was sweet revenge for the Malvinas in a sense.

So many great Argentinian players . Batistuta, Veron, Ayala, Messi etc

D

Deleted member 45466

The 86' Argie squad was pretty good - arguably as good as the side that won in 1978.

They'd a defender called Jose Luis Brown on their side.

Valdano was excellent (think he was about in 1982?), and of course Burrachaga.

It all went to shyte in 1990, but then, if memory serves, so did the World Cup?

flavirostris

Maradona was such a genius that he almost snagged the '90 world cup for Argentina as well, despite having a more ordinary Argentina team ( with one or two obvious exceptions ).

Who can forget the sublime moment that led to a Claudio Caniggia goal against Italy and knocked the arrogant, overrated Italians out of WC '90.

Maradona was kicked all over the pitch by a bunch of Cameroonian thugs in the opening match.

D

Deleted member 45466

Yeh, he got battered by the "indomitable lions". Didn't they kick lumps out of Lineker in another game in that WC? Terrible WC. One penalty shoot out after another.

There was a a slow motion film of Maradona getting the shyte kicked out of him by Claudio "gently" Gentile in '82. It's short, just a couple of minutes, but when he did finally go down, he wasn't diving. The Brazilian side of '82 had a few thugs too, and they gave him a good hiding - he was sent off in that match for kicking a Brazilian in the nuts - no pun intended.

I thought his pass to Cannigia in the second round of Italia '90 (to beat a negative Brazilian side) was sublime. He'd a sweet left peg. Could put the ball on a tuppence.

showbandmanager

The 86' Argie squad was pretty good - arguably as good as the side that won in 1978.

But the 78 side had Mario kempes , coolest footballer ever

Paddyc

A pile of Welsh went to Argentina to mine. That's why they're the only Latin Americans able to play rugby worth a damn.

Alternatively, he could be a descendant of this lad from Mayo.

D

Deleted member 45466

Kempes is a ligind.

Some smashing players on the '78 side. Pity they were overshadowed by the allegations of cheating, scoring 6 against a Peruvian side with an Argentine born keeper nickname El Loco.

I love those world cups from the 70s.

D

Deleted member 45466

A pile of Welsh went to Argentina to mine. That's why they're the only Latin Americans able to play rugby worth a damn.

Alternatively, he could be a descendant of this lad from Mayo.
If memory serves Brown did have Irish ancestors. Not sure if brownie of the navy was a distant relative.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies