Re-thinking Asylum

Catalpast

You don't know if they are going to pour in here after Brexit or if they'd even want to. Even if they attempt to do so there are laws to deal with that. Some people are always grasping onto the idea of the floodgates opening but it never seems to happen.

Would you call the Irish emigrants who went to the US on holiday visas 'scam artists' who had every intention of working and living there? I assume what gets said that most asylum seekers are fake and I think the checks in the system support that because the vast majority get rejected.

If those off the boat from Malta or any others have an issue with stacking shelves or with taking orders from women then they should be sent back. What makes you so sure that's the case with those lads? Do you know them?
Some people are always grasping onto the idea of the floodgates opening but it never seems to happen.

Do you actually live in Ireland - or are you taking the Pis.s?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Some people are always grasping onto the idea of the floodgates opening but it never seems to happen.
It's honestly strange you'd say this when recent history is littered with example after example of politicians consistently and dramatically underestimating numbers.

popular1

None of that backs up what you had originally stated. That issue regarding Brexit was addressed in that Ireland and the UK would be able to act on laws to return people to the UK.

There are people who are genuine, who may find themselves in situations where they're in a legal limbo. They may have come through the UK to get here. There are no direct connections between Ireland and their country. Surely there should be a sensible approach in that the individual would be evaluated on their own merits and the knowledge that almost certain death would be the result of a return to their native country, yet being mindful of the law that might allow Ireland to wash their hands of them?

What about an individual who'd nearly or possibly qualify for a work visa but who genuinely had to leave their home country and cannot return to avail of alternatives other than asylum seeking? Somebody who'd work at anything for little pay and may not have any extended family to later bring here. Somebody who has a good degree from a reputable university.

How do you think hotels and other businesses are getting much of their work done? Have you ever thought of who might have cleaned your plates and cutlery when you sit down for a meal, how clean the toilets are? How you may be enjoying such at surprisingly low prices? Businesses are finding it difficult to get anybody from within the EU to do some jobs.

There has to be sensible approach. I think if an individual has gone through hell to get here and there being every indication that he/she would make a good citizen, then regardless of how they got here, they should be given a chance. In particular those who don't have any extended family to later claim residency for.

I can see and understand the concerns people have with immigration but sometimes it can be a win win for all even if there may be something irregular about how they're here in the first place. Think of the loops that many Irish went through to get legal in the US. Didn't most do very well by the US in time?
do you realise we are not the US, we are a tiny country of circa 5 million and you are suggesting we take people from a critical mass of billions when we are already demographically under threat due to the cumulative effect of mass migration from basically every country in the world, driven by idealogical and financial factors not in the best interests of the sustainable development of the indigenous irish people.

popular1

He's probably taken in the same number as Bono, Bob Geldof, Lily Allen and all the other virtue signallers, a big fat zero.
I would actually give Bono a minus because he has went to the bother having a house with a large wall round it and a large gate which clearly says you cant come in here, unless I decide.

popular1

That's true. What about the minority? The ones who have everything nice and clean for ungrateful gits who get to enjoy it all at reduced prices.
Reduced prices, I think you need to dig a little deeper my friend, I am very good friends with a restaurant owner from the middle east who will employ anyone from anywhere as long as they do exactly as they are told and i mean exactly.
Some examples, A guy working for him as a chef, living with his wife down the country and coming to work for my friend for 4 days and sleeping in the restaurant at night while working in dublin, while they claim all the benefits down the country as a family.
who do you think is paying for that.
I could go on and on and on
Out of 200 people who left CVs into his restaurant looking for work, 120 were brasilians, 8 were irish, the rest were from every continent in the world.

As mcdonalds say the restaurant are lovin it

popular1

That's true. What about the minority? The ones who have everything nice and clean for ungrateful gits who get to enjoy it all at reduced prices.
Reduced prices, I think you need to dig a little deeper my friend, I am very good friends with a restaurant owner from the middle east who will employ anyone from anywhere as long as they do exactly as they are told and i mean exactly.
Some examples, A guy working for him as a chef, living with his wife down the country and coming to work for my friend for 4 days and sleeping in the restaurant at night while working in dublin, while they claim all the benefits down the country as a family.
who do you think is paying for that.
I could go on and on and on
Out of 200 people who left CVs into his restaurant looking for work, 120 were brasilians, 8 were irish, the rest were from every continent in the world.

As mcdonalds say the restaurant owners are lovin it

atkin8

Last edited:

Catalpast

What about the price of coffee going up in all shops and restaurants .

IRISH JUSTICE MINISTER TELLS A BARE-FACED LIE THE KILKENNY JOURNAL

Every county should have such a journal , time to fight back against a government forcing policies against the majority .
Actually they do have the International Right to seek protection

- but its clear the vast majority are Bogus and telling lies

Giving false information while seeking State help is a Criminal Offense

- I wonder how many have been prosecuted?

Trampas

It's honestly strange you'd say this when recent history is littered with example after example of politicians consistently and dramatically underestimating numbers.
……..most notably the appalling De Rossa who assured the nation that after the 2004 enlargement 2,000 East Europeans a year would "choose our distant shores". It turned out to be 2,000 a week......for years.

atkin8

……..most notably the appalling De Rossa who assured the nation that after the 2004 enlargement 2,000 East Europeans a year would "choose our distant shores". It turned out to be 2,000 a week......for years.
I remember another politician that was joyful how marriage was on the increase , many were sham it was later proved .

Clanrickard

I think more appropriate is there any politician who opposes mass asylum seeking or simply complains about how inadequate the system is .
They don't have to oppose because we don't have mass asylum seeking. Check the numbers

Such platitudes are no different to people waffling such things as "Build bridges, not walls!" and "Make peace, not war!". You can't set policy by slogan, so this is a non-answer.
What non-answer! If someone is at risk of being murdered along with their family or tortured. Shouldn't we help? Or do we just say no we are not giving anyone asylum because some folk don't like foreigners?

I suggest you take a walk down the main street of ANY Irish town. Every morning I bring my kids to school I'm seeing a group of women in full veil i.e. just a slit for the eyes. I don't feel particularly culturally enriched by this.
BS. I despise the niqab but the numbers wearing it are tiny.

Clanrickard

Why only 8 Irish?

atkin8

They don't have to oppose because we don't have mass asylum seeking. Check the numbers
I forgot to say mass bogus asylum seekers which do make up a large number .The percentage given refugee status is around 8% and has been for may years .I do wonder why it remains the same despite the changing numbers of applicants .

In light of Brexit and the resistance now in Europe to asylum seekers including Sweden , Ireland is relaxing laws eg right to work . The Seanad debated the reintroduction of family reunification to include again relatives outside of immediate family .One Senator claimed that the country was able to take in 40K !
The asylum system does not work and its too easily abused but its become part of this society for jobs etc .They should be taken at source and this old system phased out .The corporation tax and its reduction by the EU still lurks which could swing public opinion .

Last edited:

popular1

Why only 8 Irish?
Yes it is interesting
Remember this was not a survey of any kind
I was simply moving material to fit a unit and the bundle of papers
Were in the way. I asked him what thy were and he told me they were
Cvs handed in last year. He said throw them out.
I thought this could be very interesting an unbiased set of data
Detailing the profile of applicants seeking work in the city centre
During 2017.
One other intestine statistic only 8 eastern European applicants
I have the bundle in the house I must go through it again in more depth.

JacquesHughes

Making trafficking a crime

A careful study in the UK by a Home Office insider has found that less than half of those refused asylum were actually removed over the period 2010 to 2016 . Study concludes service is ineffective.

Fewer than half of failed asylum seekers removed - study

In Niger the state was persuaded by European countries to make trafficking a crime, with enforcement, and a great reduction in northward migration; restoring the Sahara as a natural barrier requiring assistance or great skill to cross.

African migration 'a trickle' thanks to trafficking ban across the Sahara - BBC News

raetsel

Why only 8 Irish?
I'd guess for the same reason that British farmers can't find anyone other than overseas workers to pick fruit etc. - low wages in a dead end job.
The reality in Ireland at the present time is that the Irish hospitality industry would collapse overnight if all the non-Irish employees went home tomorrow.
The NHS in the UK is already facing massive recruitment problems because of the Brexit nutters.

Brexit: NHS nursing vacancies will top 51,000 by end of transition period in 2021, report warns | The Independent

popular1

I'd guess for the same reason that British farmers can't find anyone other than overseas workers to pick fruit etc. - low wages in a dead end job.
The reality in Ireland at the present time is that the Irish hospitality industry would collapse overnight if all the non-Irish employees went home tomorrow.
The NHS in the UK is already facing massive recruitment problems because of the Brexit nutters.

Brexit: NHS nursing vacancies will top 51,000 by end of transition period in 2021, report warns | The Independent
How come it didn't collapse 20 years ago when there were very few scab labour around

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
The reality in Ireland at the present time is that the Irish hospitality industry would collapse overnight if all the non-Irish employees went home tomorrow
this thread is about asylum, not immigration.

Lúidín

Ireland should offer asylum to women escaping the world's biggest women's prison - Saudi Arabia.

Canada's Trudeau gave an admirable speech today on the issue, following his country's welcome for that Saudi woman who was trapped in the airport in Bankok.

Those in our government who aspire to UN appreciation need to adopt a few principles, even if they don't believe in them.