• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Real agenda - return of the one party state we had during the pre-2010 celtic tiger era?

shiel

I am putting the following up as a thesis to provoke discussion.

One journalist let the cat out of the bag about what the long term agenda of the Irish media and the insiders among the anti-austerity marchers is when he declared before the 2007 election that the then Taoiseach should stay as Taoiseach 'till hell freezes over'.

The economic and banking collapse in 2010 spoiled that.

The short term agenda now is to use the anti-austerity shtuff such as the water charges etc issues to get rid of Kenny and his gang and replace them permanently with Martin and his gang.

But for the 'unfortunate' collapse in 2010 the celtic tiger government would have been re-elected for the seventh time in a row at the last election.

If that had happened there would have been no marchers on the streets in the same way that there were no marchers on the streets during the decade or so of the celtic tiger when decisions were being made by the powerful which bankrupt the country.

Which gang governs should be a matter for the electorate but Irish media and the insider activists decided way back that they want a one party state.

The bankrupting of the country and the bailout in 2010 has interrupted that but the media and the marchers including many on these forums will ensure it will be back to the what they consider a 'normal' one party state soon.

The trivialising, brutalising and personalising of the debate by media during the recent election campaign and since is part of the agenda.

The other longer term agenda down the road is to hope that Brexit will happen and the EU will collapse.

That is more problematic but too many in the anti-austerity, anti-water charges etc brigade are hoping against hope that it will happen.

Not too sure that this agenda is in the interest of the ordinary citizen of this democratic republic but the attitude of the people who are part of this agenda is shur what has that got to do with it?

Is a one party state of whatever gang in our interest?

Last edited:

Calculusmadeeasy

The electorate get to decide on who runs the state.

I don't see any agenda.

I'd say that the reality is that we're an oligarchic democracy. Whoever does get into power is beholden to plutocrats.

ger12

The electorate get to decide on who runs the state.

I don't see any agenda.

I'd say that the reality is that we're an oligarchic democracy. Whoever does get into power is beholden to plutocrats.
They're only beholden to plutocrats if they chose to be.

There is an agenda by the media, a liberal one that favors Labour but not the real lefties, hates SF and tolerates FF/FG. They're out of touch with the People of course, but when you have an incestious lazy media it's to be expected.

JCR

There is an agenda by the media, a liberal one that favors Labour but not the real lefties, hates SF and tolerates FF/FG. They're out of touch with the People of course, but when you have an incestious lazy media it's to be expected.
You can't talk about a lazy media and then write "FF/FG". Especially when the OP is raising the issue of FF being THE singular controlling political entity in the state, which it has been.

You would really have to be blind not to see the media claiming FF are the real government and FG the puppets, because you know FF are better at politics. Even Vincent Browne is saying it.

Effectively we have had a one party state with a brief respite because not even their mates placed all over Irish media could cover up the stupidity anymore. Mind you they tried.

devoutcapitalist

Redacted wouldn't mind a FF government even if his first beloved party are the Blueshirts.

FF will be back in power shortly cheered on by the Media when they will inevitably destroy the economy again.

devoutcapitalist

As long as FF continue to rule out going into government with SF, they will continue to be strongly supported by large sections of the media.

ger12

You can't talk about a lazy media and then write "FF/FG". Especially when the OP is raising the issue of FF being THE singular controlling political entity in the state, which it has been.

You would really have to be blind not to see the media claiming FF are the real government and FG the puppets, because you know FF are better at politics. Even Vincent Browne is saying it.

Effectively we have had a one party state with a brief respite because not even their mates placed all over Irish media could cover up the stupidity anymore. Mind you they tried.
The OP is a blueshirt, peeved at how FG have been treated by the media over the last five years. What he fails to see is the corruption/cronyism rife in FG that the media ignored in the beginning and couldn't at the end, (much as they'd like to in an effort to protect Labour).

FG are the puppets, FF's puppets now, and FF don't have the pain of dealing with the Sir Humphrey's. Of course, FG are choosing to be the puppet.

Lazy lazy media is rife here. But it's not twisted towards FF rather, it's as corrupt as FF/FG/Labour.

Weevil

The OP is a blueshirt, peeved at how FG have been treated by the media over the last five years. What he fails to see is the corruption/cronyism rife in FG that the media ignored in the beginning and couldn't at the end, (much as they'd like to in an effort to protect Labour).

FG are the puppets, FF's puppets now, and FF don't have the pain of dealing with the Sir Humphrey's. Of course, FG are choosing to be the puppet.

Lazy lazy media is rife here. But it's not twisted towards FF rather, it's as corrupt as FF/FG/Labour.
OP is a sore loser-

Franzoni

OP is a sore loser-

I suppose it makes a change from their single transferable post about a small cohort of powerful people bankrupting the country...

What the OP always neglects in those posts is FGers had their fingers every bit as much in the pie as FFers...

Sure we still haven't had a satisfactory conclusion to the corruption in the last rainbow government of the 90's and the outcome of the Moriarty Tribunal....

Calculusmadeeasy

Why do you think they choose to be?

ger12

Why do you think they choose to be?
Selfish reasons for some (they see dollar signs and power), others believe these plutocrats are clever and know best (yeh, I know :shock:) and others don't have the balls to go up against them.

Would you have the balls Calc?

Calculusmadeeasy

Selfish reasons for some (they see dollar signs and power), others believe these plutocrats are clever and know best (yeh, I know :shock:) and others don't have the balls to go up against them.
Well, there's that. But ultimately politicians facilitate the wants and desires of the electorate, right?

Forget about different political parties. They're all the same at this stage.

Would you have the balls Calc?
Are you going to start teasing me about my prostate again?

Have a read of Ibsen's An Enemy Of The People, or better yet watch the movie (if you can get a copy).

General Urko

Create a massive problem and then magically come up with the solution, which you had planned all along!
Capital needs a 4% return annually and this can now only be got off the backs of regular folk to an extent we have never really seen before!:oops:

ger12

Well, there's that. But ultimately politicians facilitate the wants and desires of the electorate, right?

Forget about different political parties. They're all the same at this stage.

Are you going to start teasing me about my prostate again?

Have a read of Ibsen's An Enemy Of The People, or better yet watch the movie (if you can get a copy).
Do they? They cater for their supporters who have very varied beliefs and demands.

Did you know the play was the indirect inspiration for the blockbuster movie Jaws?

ger12

Double gremlin post

Calculusmadeeasy

Do they? They cater for their supporters who have very varied beliefs and demands.

Did you know the play was the indirect inspiration for the blockbuster movie Jaws?
Not really. Most of the demands revolve (somewhat understandably) around money, do they not? Obviously the demands become more sophisticated a la Maslow, but basically the transaction is "you give me this, and I give you my vote".

I didn't know that. Thanks. Are you a movie buff Ger?

ger12

Not really. Most of the demands revolve (somewhat understandably) around money, do they not? Obviously the demands become more sophisticated a la Maslow, but basically the transaction is "you give me this, and I give you my vote".

I didn't know that. Thanks. Are you a movie buff Ger?
Nah, just quick with Wiki petunia

Although I have quite a large selection older movies (many in black and white), ya just can't beat some of the stuff they made back in the day.

Calculusmadeeasy

Nah, just quick with Wiki petunia

Although I have quite a large selection older movies (many in black and white), ya just can't beat some of the stuff they made back in the day.
Well, it's an interesting tidbit of info. Thank you.

I'm not surprised you do, you old fart.

I think I'll watch a Deanna Durbin musical tonight. Mad About Music perhaps.

I love to whistle...

[video=youtube;WvHW_ecyCbs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvHW_ecyCbs[/video]

ger12

Well, it's an interesting tidbit of info. Thank you.

I'm not surprised you do, you old fart.

I think I'll watch a Deanna Durbin musical tonight. Mad About Music perhaps.

I love to whistle...

[video=youtube;WvHW_ecyCbs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvHW_ecyCbs[/video]
I watched her in His Butlers Sister a couple of weeks ago. I like Cary, you should check out My Favorite Wife.

[video=youtube;qiR8p9P3CRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiR8p9P3CRc[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies