Real agenda - return of the one party state we had during the pre-2010 celtic tiger era?

shiel

The debate is wandering off the subject as is probably inevitable.

The debate has also been reduced to the usual partisan party political ************************e fest.

The basic facts, however, cannot be denied.

One political grouping was elected with media acclaim, continuously, in successive elections during the celtic tiger era.

If the alternative political grouping was elected continuously for the same length of time things could have been better or worse. But that is not the point.

The point is it was not a healthy democracy when any political grouping were having their arses licked by media for more than a decade in what was practically a one party state.

And so it proved. The insiders got arrogant and complacent. They thought they could walk on water as one commentator mentioned at the time.

Eventually the country and the financial institutions were bankrupt by their recklessness.

The symptoms of a return to the one party state, celtic tiger media mentality are there again now.

Irrespective of what the political grouping that is involved my opinion is that it is just as unwise and just as contrary to the interests of the ordinary citizen of this democratic republic now as it proved to be during the celtic tiger.

Reducing the debate to the usual partisan party political ************************e fest is also just as contrary to the interests of the ordinary citizen of this democratic republic.

D

Deleted member 45466

I've got most of Edna Mae's movies. I'm a fan.

Yes, I know you like Cary Grant.

I like the Cary Grant from the 30s/40s. I was never crazy about the latter half of his career. I don't think he ever really got over Sophia Loren rejecting his advances. Moreover, I felt he could have added some more serious roles to his CV. A remarkable and very talented man nonetheless with a fascinating life story.

Despite how clunky they look now, movies from that era have a particular charm and class, that is irresistible.

D

Deleted member 45466

The debate is wandering off the subject as is probably inevitable.

The debate has also been reduced to the usual partisan party political ************************e fest.

The basic facts, however, cannot be denied.

One political grouping was elected with media acclaim, continuously, in successive elections during the celtic tiger era.

If the alternative political grouping was elected continuously for the same length of time things could have been better or worse. But that is not the point.

The point is it was not a healthy democracy when any political grouping were having their arses licked by media for more than a decade in what was practically a one party state.

And so it proved. The insiders got arrogant and complacent. They thought they could walk on water as one commentator mentioned at the time.

Eventually the country and the financial institutions were bankrupt by their recklessness.

The symptoms of a return to the one party state, celtic tiger media mentality are there again now.

Irrespective of what the political grouping that is involved my opinion is that it is just as unwise and just as contrary to the interests of the ordinary citizen of this democratic republic now as it proved to be during the celtic tiger.

Reducing the debate to the usual partisan party political ************************e fest is also just as contrary to the interests of the ordinary citizen of this democratic republic.

ger12

I've got most of Edna Mae's movies. I'm a fan.

Yes, I know you like Cary Grant.

I like the Cary Grant from the 30s/40s. I was never crazy about the latter half of his career. I don't think he ever really got over Sophia Loren rejecting his advances. Moreover, I felt he could have added some more serious roles to his CV. A remarkable and very talented man nonetheless with a fascinating life story.

Despite how clunky they look now, movies from that era have a particular charm and class, that is irresistible.
I don't know her, must look it up. I wholeheartedly agree re the charm and class.

I thought Randolf Scott was his great love.

D

Deleted member 45466

I don't know her, must look it up. I wholeheartedly agree re the charm and class.

I thought Randolf Scott was his great love.
Yanno, my father told me that years and years ago.

Is it true though? I know they shared a house/apartment when they were contract players, but do did Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman.

Yeh, he was chasing Loren in the 50s. Was crazy about her apparently.

effer

I watched her in His Butlers Sister a couple of weeks ago. Oh you dirty devil. Was she wearing a strapon?

I like Cary, you should check out My Favorite Wife. How many have you? Do you usually invite people to check her out?

JCR

The OP is a blueshirt, peeved at how FG have been treated by the media over the last five years. What he fails to see is the corruption/cronyism rife in FG that the media ignored in the beginning and couldn't at the end, (much as they'd like to in an effort to protect Labour).

FG are the puppets, FF's puppets now, and FF don't have the pain of dealing with the Sir Humphrey's. Of course, FG are choosing to be the puppet.

Lazy lazy media is rife here. But it's not twisted towards FF rather, it's as corrupt as FF/FG/Labour.
I really don't understand the level of awareness that talks about lazy media and then just repeats the media mantra as their own opinion.

GDPR

Chillaxing on the diving board

Playing floppy golf

Working out together

Bros just being bros :)

Ellen Ripley

Yanno, my father told me that years and years ago.

Is it true though? I know they shared a house/apartment when they were contract players, but do did Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman.

Yeh, he was chasing Loren in the 50s. Was crazy about her apparently.
Loads of the Hollywood hunks of the 40's-50's were gay, Bi or just not too fussy.
Kirk Douglas seems to be the one exception.

Tyrone Power, Burt, Montgomery Clift...even Charles Laughton who couldn't have got much action either way.:D
How Lancaster ever convinced in From Here to Eternity shows how good an actor he was...

edifice.

Essentially we always had a one party system given the nominal differences between FF/FG/Lab: the emergence of SF will not upset this as SF are steadily evolving into the same mould. The only realistic catalyst which can change the political hegemony on the island is an end to partition and given that all the main parties in the 26 Counties have identical policies on Unity it's not going to come about any time soon.

D

Deleted member 45466

Essentially we always had a one party system given the nominal differences between FF/FG/Lab: the emergence of SF will not upset this as SF are steadily evolving into the same mould. The only realistic catalyst which can change the political hegemony on the island is an end to partition and given that all the main parties in the 26 Counties have identical policies on Unity it's not going to come about any time soon.
Agree with some of that. Not sure how partition will change human nature though.

edifice.

Agree with some of that. Not sure how partition will change human nature though.
Essentially the polar views between unionist and nationalist would have to be accommodated in new political thinking and structures.

D

Deleted member 45466

Essentially the polar views between unionist and nationalist would have to be accommodated in new political thinking and structures.
Which would still have to facilitate the wishes of the electorate.

The electorate put these people in power regardless of how often the same tangled web of lies is spun.

Just look at labour. Promised not to introduce water charges, and once in power Minister for smug twats Alan Kelly comes out with "people will pay one away or another."

GDPR

Speaking of Sophia Loren - not her pseudo-romance with gay Cary - this is still the classic snap.

And vaguely relevant to OP: Sizing Up The Opposition

D

Deleted member 45466

Loads of the Hollywood hunks of the 40's-50's were gay, Bi or just not too fussy.
Kirk Douglas seems to be the one exception.

Tyrone Power, Burt, Montgomery Clift...even Charles Laughton who couldn't have got much action either way.:D
How Lancaster ever convinced in From Here to Eternity shows how good an actor he was...
Took the make up dept. five minutes to come up with this.

shiel

The one party state mentality could not be expressed in any better way than by declaring before the 2007 election that the then Taoiseach should stay as Taoiseach 'till hell freezes over'.

Before the 2002 election a commentator rejoiced at the fact that 'current public expenditure rose by more than 50% in three years' while the then opposition 'were wandering in a wilderness of perpetual opposition'.

Is it in anyone's interest that we return to that?

redneck

I used to be a Labour supporter. That said the bias towards Labour in the RTE/INM media is not really fair to the other parties.
Joe Duffy practically operates as a Labour PR man.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom