Real agenda - return of the one party state we had during the pre-2010 celtic tiger era?

JCR

Again, complete BS. If you can't differentiate between support for FF and newspaper fluff pieces about the boom then you need to develop a sense of perspective. And frankly, prior to 2002 the govt deserved a lot of praise.
If you are pretending you can't see how the media were supporting the then government you have zero creditability. There was no real economic boom after 2001, it was a line fed to people by editorial policy in the media and government spin, and they were in it together.

Prior to 2002 was probably the stupidest piece of governance ever to take place in this country. A country that was growing in real economic terms decided not to spend on infrastructure and instead used the exchequer returns to buy power.

JCR

To be fair FF gave us a mighty boom which took the country from relative poverty to relative wealth. A lot of the gains are still with us. Credit where credit is due. FG are the best option if you are in the wealthiest section of people and are looking out for your interests but FF back in power is not the end of the world.
FF took power in 1997 and couldn't have prevented the surge in economic activity if they tried. Mind you they did succeed in wrecking the country despite this huge growth which began under a rainbow coalition. FF under Bertie took a country with new found real wealth and set it on a path to ruin. And the media cheered all the way.

ger12

Yanno, my father told me that years and years ago.

Is it true though? I know they shared a house/apartment when they were contract players, but do did Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman.

Yeh, he was chasing Loren in the 50s. Was crazy about her apparently.
Maybe he liked to swing both ways. He was a pleasure to watch, although I have a soft spot for Jimmy Stewart, Jaysas they really don't make 'em like that anymore.

D

Deleted member 45466

Maybe he liked to swing both ways. He was a pleasure to watch, although I have a soft spot for Jimmy Stewart, Jaysas they really don't make 'em like that anymore.
Yep.

Watched Vertigo a couple of weeks ago, for the billionth time. A very under-rated actor was ol' Jimmy.

Plebian

I am putting the following up as a thesis to provoke discussion.

One journalist let the cat out of the bag about what the long term agenda of the Irish media and the insiders among the anti-austerity marchers is when he declared before the 2007 election that the then Taoiseach should stay as Taoiseach 'till hell freezes over'.

The economic and banking collapse in 2010 spoiled that.

The short term agenda now is to use the anti-austerity shtuff such as the water charges etc issues to get rid of Kenny and his gang and replace them permanently with Martin and his gang.

But for the 'unfortunate' collapse in 2010 the celtic tiger government would have been re-elected for the seventh time in a row at the last election.

If that had happened there would have been no marchers on the streets in the same way that there were no marchers on the streets during the decade or so of the celtic tiger when decisions were being made by the powerful which bankrupt the country.

Which gang governs should be a matter for the electorate but Irish media and the insider activists decided way back that they want a one party state.

The bankrupting of the country and the bailout in 2010 has interrupted that but the media and the marchers including many on these forums will ensure it will be back to the what they consider a 'normal' one party state soon.

The trivialising, brutalising and personalising of the debate by media during the recent election campaign and since is part of the agenda.

The other longer term agenda down the road is to hope that Brexit will happen and the EU will collapse.

That is more problematic but too many in the anti-austerity, anti-water charges etc brigade are hoping against hope that it will happen.

Not too sure that this agenda is in the interest of the ordinary citizen of this democratic republic but the attitude of the people who are part of this agenda is shur what has that got to do with it?

Is a one party state of whatever gang in our interest?
I wish you'd try to be more coherent. There might be a decent point in there but your desire to lump vastly different subjects together makes it impenetrable.

One party state.... Is that FF, is it FF + the Independent Newspaper group/Irish Times and RTE... and this FF+The Media want the EU to collapse... even though these same people twice refused to accept the Democratic will of the people re EU referendums and put the screws on to save the EU Treaties.. and something, something about the anti-austerity crowd who you've decided to lump into the OP.

:confused:

galteeman

FF took power in 1997 and couldn't have prevented the surge in economic activity if they tried. Mind you they did succeed in wrecking the country despite this huge growth which began under a rainbow coalition. FF under Bertie took a country with new found real wealth and set it on a path to ruin. And the media cheered all the way.
From 1987 to 2008 FF were in power all the time except for about 2 and a half years yet according to you the Rainbow coalition gets the credit for the boom that propelled Ireland to prosperity and it has nothing to do with FF?.
I voted for FG in the last 2 elections but I have no problem giving FF some credit for Ireland's golden age because they actually deserve it.
Get real ffs.

JCR

From 1987 to 2008 FF were in power all the time except for about 2 and a half years yet according to you the Rainbow coalition gets the credit for the boom that propelled Ireland to prosperity and it has nothing to do with FF?.
I voted for FG in the last 2 elections but I have no problem giving FF some credit for Ireland's golden age because they actually deserve it.
Get real ffs.
I think FF under Ahern were a disaster from start to finish. The evidence is in the almighty economic disaster that befell Ireland from a position of prosperity due to crazy policy which the media cheered on and told everyone the country was ricj when the government had based the country's finances on the amount of credit citizens could get their hands on.

shiel

More quotes from the Irish media on the budget prior to the 2002 election.

'Every day and in every way things are getting better and better'.

'There is virtually no downside'.

'Spending has risen 79%'.

'Best and most responsible of budgets. Minister passed with flying colours.'

freewillie

I think FF under Ahern were a disaster from start to finish. The evidence is in the almighty economic disaster that befell Ireland from a position of prosperity due to crazy policy which the media cheered on and told everyone the country was ricj when the government had based the country's finances on the amount of credit citizens could get their hands on.
I did very well under FF both in Dublin and Belfast. There will always be losers jump on the bandwagon too late

Peppermint

I notice a few of the old FF heads are suddenly making media appearances again!

After years of claiming to be 'private citizens' and not owing the Irish people any explanation.. suddenly they phone up their mates in RTE and get a soft focus interview..

Noel Dempsey being a prime example..

JCR

I did very well under FF both in Dublin and Belfast. There will always be losers jump on the bandwagon too late
I think you've illustrated the point there. Why exactly do you think you did well under FF? Their policies were awful for every sector in the medium to long run.

JCR

RTE have Eoghan Harris on at the moment telling the country how great Martin is. They used to do the same for Bertie didn't they.

Peppermint

RTE have Eoghan Harris on at the moment telling the country how great Martin is. They used to do the same for Bertie didn't they.
Why is Eoin Harris given so much public space?

The man is a hypocrite of the highest order!

galteeman

When I came to live in Dublin in 1988 the place was a very run down but 20 years later it was massively regenerated. Huge numbers of new houses and apartments, hotels, shopping centres everything newly built. That is reality.
Also it was about time ordinary Irish people got access to cheap credit after generations of having no chance to get their hands on a few quid. Sure many people ended up going overboard and going bust but better to at least have some taste of money than never.
As for the economic disaster the vast majority are still a lot better off despite it all and we have maintained our position right at the top in terms of Human Development Index.
Sure there was a bust after such a mighty boom but that's to be expected.
Sure some people lost jobs but the vast majority did not.
Sure the country owes a lot of money but we still spend more than we earn and the Europeans actually still give us the extra money we need so in effect we will never pay back the money we owe and it will dwindle to insignificance over time thanks to growth.
Perhaps the disaster isn't as bad as you think and the media are cheering that on as well?

shiel

The OP is a blueshirt, peeved at how FG have been treated by the media over the last five years. What he fails to see is the corruption/cronyism rife in FG that the media ignored in the beginning and couldn't at the end, (much as they'd like to in an effort to protect Labour).

FG are the puppets, FF's puppets now, and FF don't have the pain of dealing with the Sir Humphrey's. Of course, FG are choosing to be the puppet.

Lazy lazy media is rife here. But it's not twisted towards FF rather, it's as corrupt as FF/FG/Labour.
The point being made in the OP is that a one party state with the powerful having their arses licked all day every day by media is not in anyone's interest.

This was proved spectacularly in this country when the country was bankrupted by the reckless decisions of a small number of powerful people who let power go to their heads.

The fact that they belonged to one political grouping rather than a different political grouping is not the point. Power when it is unchallenged corrupts is a basic law of political science.

Spewing partisan party political ************************e and bringing Hollywood films into the frame in order to distract attention and cover up the biggest calamity to happen to this country since independence does no service to the discussion of this important topic.

The fact that many of the same people who bankrupt the country and many of the same media people who supported them are still pontificating and telling us what to do is being ignored as it was in celtic tiger times.

The arrogance and hypocrisy of the people who took part in the bankrupting of the country in celtic tiger times is being repeated here and now and many of the same media people are cheer leading it again.

Last edited:

The Preacher

Sure there was a bust after such a mighty boom but that's to be expected.
Sure some people lost jobs but the vast majority did not.
Sure the country owes a lot of money but we still spend more than we earn and the Europeans actually still give us the extra money we need so in effect we will never pay back the money we owe and it will dwindle to insignificance over time thanks to growth.
Perhaps the disaster isn't as bad as you think and the media are cheering that on as well?
Thank you for demonstrating the point I made earlier - that a significant number of people in this country are simply too stupid to be allowed to vote. Twice in 35 years FF have destroyed this country's economy to the extent that we surrendered our independence, with the resulting catastrophic damage to basic public services like health and education, but as long as you personally aren't sleeping in a doorway -for now - sure that's alright isn't it.

So you think it's ok that "we still spend more than we earn and the Europeans give us the money we need". So we should just keep begging and borrowing from Europe, keep throwing money at everyone and sure everything will be grand. Are you one of the Healy Raes by any chance?

Morons like you are the reason why we must do everything in our power to ensure that FF are kept out of office if there's to be any hope of real, lasting, sustained economic progress in the country. Alas I'm sure that there's enough fools like you still around to ensure that it's only a matter of time before they slither back into power and immediately begin the process of destroying the country a third time by throwing money at everyone - massive unsustainable increases in welfare and public sector pay, to buy votes from gullible fools like galteeman who think the money grows on trees. Obviously you have no children. If you had, you might actually give a damn about the long term future of the country, since another FF government will ensure that they'll be forced to emigrate YET AGAIN unless they want to waste their life on welfare.

Shame on you.

freewillie

Thank you for demonstrating the point I made earlier - that a significant number of people in this country are simply too stupid to be allowed to vote. Twice in 35 years FF have destroyed this country's economy to the extent that we surrendered our independence, with the resulting catastrophic damage to basic public services like health and education, but as long as you personally aren't sleeping in a doorway -for now - sure that's alright isn't it.

So you think it's ok that "we still spend more than we earn and the Europeans give us the money we need". So we should just keep begging and borrowing from Europe, keep throwing money at everyone and sure everything will be grand. Are you one of the Healy Raes by any chance?

Morons like you are the reason why we must do everything in our power to ensure that FF are kept out of office if there's to be any hope of real, lasting, sustained economic progress in the country. Alas I'm sure that there's enough fools like you still around to ensure that it's only a matter of time before they slither back into power and immediately begin the process of destroying the country a third time by throwing money at everyone - massive unsustainable increases in welfare and public sector pay, to buy votes from gullible fools like galteeman who think the money grows on trees. Obviously you have no children. If you had, you might actually give a damn about the long term future of the country, since another FF government will ensure that they'll be forced to emigrate YET AGAIN unless they want to waste their life on welfare.

Shame on you.
Its important to keep all the children as close to Mammy as possible. Small towns and villages full of cousins. Eventually leading to inbreeding and producing people like Cleetus the slack jawed yokel

Socratus O' Pericles

I am putting the following up as a thesis to provoke discussion.

One journalist let the cat out of the bag about what the long term agenda of the Irish media and the insiders among the anti-austerity marchers is when he declared before the 2007 election that the then Taoiseach should stay as Taoiseach 'till hell freezes over'.

The economic and banking collapse in 2010 spoiled that.

The short term agenda now is to use the anti-austerity shtuff such as the water charges etc issues to get rid of Kenny and his gang and replace them permanently with Martin and his gang.

But for the 'unfortunate' collapse in 2010 the celtic tiger government would have been re-elected for the seventh time in a row at the last election.

If that had happened there would have been no marchers on the streets in the same way that there were no marchers on the streets during the decade or so of the celtic tiger when decisions were being made by the powerful which bankrupt the country.

Which gang governs should be a matter for the electorate but Irish media and the insider activists decided way back that they want a one party state.

The bankrupting of the country and the bailout in 2010 has interrupted that but the media and the marchers including many on these forums will ensure it will be back to the what they consider a 'normal' one party state soon.

The trivialising, brutalising and personalising of the debate by media during the recent election campaign and since is part of the agenda.

The other longer term agenda down the road is to hope that Brexit will happen and the EU will collapse.

That is more problematic but too many in the anti-austerity, anti-water charges etc brigade are hoping against hope that it will happen.

Not too sure that this agenda is in the interest of the ordinary citizen of this democratic republic but the attitude of the people who are part of this agenda is shur what has that got to do with it?

Is a one party state of whatever gang in our interest?

Which journalist, let the cat out of the bag? Where? Any link?

shiel

Its important to keep all the children as close to Mammy as possible. Small towns and villages full of cousins. Eventually leading to inbreeding and producing people like Cleetus the slack jawed yokel
That is the kind of stuff the London media came out with during the famine.

You should not be repeating it now.

galteeman

Shame on you.
Ha ha that's funny thanks for the laugh.

No I don't think money grows on trees and I lost big during the bust and ended up losing over 1 million euro. However I don't think it would be honest of me to blame FF for my past mistakes. At least I gave it a lash and for a few years I was rich, if only I had got out a bit earlier:roll:.
I don't get any welfare apart from children's allowance and I don't work in the Public Sector. I have 2 sisters who are teachers and as far as I can see they are not making that much money so I don't mind if they get a raise.
I do love Europe as they have done so much to bring up this country in terms of making money available in various ways and also enforcing lots of civilised laws on the place.:lol:
As long as we have prosperity then I don't care if the money is coming from Europe, besides don't they just print more money and give it to us?:lol:.
You seem to have some pathological hatred for FF eh? you have a very negative view of the world I'm afraid.

New Threads

Top Bottom