• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Real IRA's internal civil war turns deadly: "Regional Commander" assassinated

Sync

Yes it's 2013, not 1913, but people are still organising themselves into little armies and then killing each other.

Real IRA commander Peter Butterly was killed yesterday while he sat in his car after going to a meet with other members from his group.

Butterly was due to be in court next week on membership of the illegal organisation, and had wriggled out of a previous prosecution on bomb charges.

The positive side to this is that it all apparently happened right in front of the Gardai who were keeping this wannabe terror leader under surveillance. So they should hopefully have eye witnesses, immediate forensics, descriptions/photos of those involved etc. Ideally whoever committed the crime is successfully prosecuted.

5 men have been arrested, all of whom were caught close to the scene.

Honestly, at what point will people just accept that the vast majority of people of this island don't want these loons fighting "in our name"? If you want to sort out your own little drugs/intimidation racket then fine, stop pretending it's part of some glorious rebellion movement though.

Five in custody over Real IRA murder outside Meath pub - The Irish Times - Thu, Mar 07, 2013

bye bye mubarak

Garda information in the south and two in the north caught by state intelligence operations show how comprimised this new 'IRA' are, so a good reason why no-one should be anywhere near them, and exactly why this compromised organisation should stop.

FrankSpeaks

Yes it's 2013, not 1913, but people are still organising themselves into little armies and then killing each other.

Real IRA commander Peter Butterly was killed yesterday while he sat in his car after going to a meet with other members from his group.

Butterly was due to be in court next week on membership of the illegal organisation, and had wriggled out of a previous prosecution on bomb charges.

The positive side to this is that it all apparently happened right in front of the Gardai who were keeping this wannabe terror leader under surveillance. So they should hopefully have eye witnesses, immediate forensics, descriptions/photos of those involved etc. Ideally whoever committed the crime is successfully prosecuted.

Honestly, at what point will people just accept that the vast majority of people of this island don't want these loons fighting "in our name"? If you want to sort out your own little drugs/intimidation racket then fine, stop pretending it's part of some glorious rebellion movement though.

Five in custody over Real IRA murder outside Meath pub - The Irish Times - Thu, Mar 07, 2013
It's a good day for Ireland, 1 scumbag killed and 5 in custody.

Sync

Were the Brit secret services somehow involved?
Look it's clearly all the Brit's fault. Or the Gardai's for monitoring this guy. Or the Gardai for keeping other RIRA members under watch. It's all just a campaign of harrassment. Why can't they just be left alone to play with their My Little Pony collections? That's all the innocent heroes in the RIRA want.

Levellers

Who makes these titles up? 'Commander ' Butterly is a made up title. Undermines a good comment.

Sync

Who makes these titles up? 'Commander ' Butterly is a made up title. Undermines a good comment.
The Times reported him as being "regional commander". Now I don't think the RIRA is big enough to warrent franchises, I liketo think they all have their own little titles that they pick themselves. So the tea boy who's job it is to bag up the cocaine or find the bricks to throw through pub windows has the offical title of "Tzar of war".

statsman

Garda information in the south and two in the north caught by state intelligence operations show how comprimised this new 'IRA' are, so a good reason why no-one should be anywhere near them, and exactly why this compromised organisation should stop.
That's not why they should stop. They should stop becasuse what they're doing is anti-democratic, illegal and stupid.

Trainwreck

Can the killing of one violent lawless thug by another violent lawless thug really be called an "assassination"?

Levellers

The Times reported him as being "regional commander". Now I don't think the RIRA is big enough to warrent franchises, I liketo think they all have their own little titles that they pick themselves. So the tea boy who's job it is to bag up the cocaine or find the bricks to throw through pub windows has the offical title of "Tzar of war".
You've overplayed your hand again. As much as I despise the RIRA they don't deal drugs. Only idiots like Tom Brady and Paul Williams say that and they are so discredited as journalists that every word that comes out of their mouth is unbelievable.

Carl Claudius

jayus, and there was I thinking they were just all talk and singers of Rebel ballads. so long as they cull each other and not decent people.

drummed

You've overplayed your hand again. As much as I despise the RIRA they don't deal drugs. Only idiots like Tom Brady and Paul Williams say that and they are so discredited as journalists that every word that comes out of their mouth is unbelievable.

So if they don't engage in criminality why are they having shootings in pub car parks? Was this just an intense political debate gone wrong? All these groups are funded in a similar manner. By illegal activity of one sort or another.

Sync

So if they don't engage in criminality why are they having shootings in pub car parks? Was this just an intense political debate gone wrong?
"I assent this is true Sir"

"Well Reginald I once again dissent, with all due respect your view is, in my humble opinion....ill considered!!!!"

BANG BANG BANG

All these groups are funded in a similar manner. By illegal activity of one sort or another.
I personally fail to see the difference in dealing the drugs yourself and taking a cut from the people who deal drugs in exchange for not killing them.

Victor Meldrew

Whatever.... No-one cares what these knackers "think" or what they "believe" in.

Why the spats over money then? They are just common criminals with berets and bandoiler belts over their British army surplus woolly jumper.

We may have a degree of fear for them, but that is swamped by the contempt we have for them.

Only utter morons think these guys have a cause.

Victor Meldrew

So if they don't engage in criminality why are they having shootings in pub car parks? Was this just an intense political debate gone wrong?
Rumour has it that the more extreme elements moderate boards.ie

Hewson

Can the killing of one violent lawless thug by another violent lawless thug really be called an "assassination"?
He was a Regional Commander. Easily distinguished by the extra stripe down the leg of his track suit pants.

owedtojoy

"Regional Commander", "Chief of Staff", "Quartermaster", "Army"

The titles these stupid little gets give each other, as they draw social welfare and extort money from hardworking businessmen, would be hilarious if they were not so fcking brutal.