• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Real Sinn Fein's paper promotes C.I.R.A. Should it be allowed?

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
I'm all for freedom of speech and all and I think the paper should be allowed say what they want, as long as they're not advocating killing anyone directly in the paper. The C.I.R.A is an illegal organisation in this country; membership obviously results in prison sentence if you're caught. But Real Sinn Fein, or Republican Sinn Fein as they now call themselves - another split I think - in their paper, Saoirse Nua, have pictures from the C.I.R.A at a training camp on the front page, as well as the C.I.R.A posing with the paper on the back page.

I purchased their last edition out of curiosity (if Stalinists and Maoists had a paper for 1 50, I'd buy it to see what they were saying, I don't support them) which contained statements from the C.I.R.A in Cork about sorting out drug dealers (can't remember if there were death threats). It was radical to say the least and I was taken back a bit. But I saw their latest edition yesterday and bought it and well, it went even further. The cover, as already mentioned, had the C.I.R.A posing at a sniper camp. The pictures were sent anonymously, so it says. The paper inside was not as radical as the last edition in terms of what was written, but the front cover of the paper was quite mad, when you see it walking down O'Connell street on a news stand:

Should this paper be allowed? The editor is Joe Lynch, who was charged before of being in the I.R.A. Eight charged with IRA membership - National News - Independent.ie. I think it should be allowed, but I mean, given the editors history and what the paper is promoting, should it be at least warned to not carry statements by the C.I.R.A? I don't get how an illegal organisation in Ireland is allowed carry statements in newspapers edited by men charged with I.R.A membership before? Doesn't seem to make any sense.

I presume that the editors have been questioned and all before by the Guardai, but still, are some of you happy with this being sold on the streets of Dublin? It goes further than anything by Republican Sinn Fein in Saoirse and the last edition had a letter from a man who openly admitted that violence was the only way to get the Brits out.

slippy wicket

Give them enough rope and let them hang themselves is my motto for that sort.
I would imagine a close eye is being kept on those with any connection to this group.

flavirostris

muppets. they look like accountants on a paintball weekend.

Eire1976

If these guys want to do something against British rule in Ireland then they should target the bad influence of organisations linked to Orange miscreants and show them up for what they are.

That will bring more change than any armed actions ever will.

commonman

Young fools thats what they are, there all going to end up in jail or dead, could anyone try and get some sense in to them

Eire1976

Young fools thats what they are, there all going to end up in jail or dead, could anyone try and get some sense in to them

You can lead a horse to water and so on.

They will have to realise for themselves that armed action at this point will just put things back further.

What we need is a peaceful but stongly republican pressure group to force organisations like media and government to be more pro unity and more national.

SF are not up to the job as they have been brow beaten into being ashamed of the fact that they fought for the Irish in the NE.

SideysGhost

But Real Sinn Fein, or Republican Sinn Fein as they now call themselves - another split I think
I've lost touch in recent times with the byzantine relationships between the fringe republican groups, but "Republican Sinn Fein" was always the name of Ruiari O'Bradaigh's crowd, who split from mainstream SF back in the mid-80s in protest against, IIRC, Adams' SF dropping the policy of abstention for local councils and Dail elections, and SF de facto recognising the legitimacy of the southern state (ssssh, don't tell the likes of johnny365 and The Herren, they've not got past 1972 yet). The armed wing of RSF is the "Continuity" IRA.

In 1997 there was another split from the Provos in protest at the ceasefires, the "Real" IRA and it's political wing the 32CSM. There were also (allegedly, according to how much of what appears in the newspapers you want to believe) a handful of tiny independent splinter groups, though most of these (again, allegedly) are mainly back within the RIRA fold now.

Course it doesn't help that every version of the IRA insists it is the One True IRA and just calls itself Oglaigh na hEireann, making it hard to tell them apart sometimes.

Then there's Eirigi who are seperate again and seem to be opposed to the GFA but peaceful with no armed wing as such, preferring to focus on more orthodox protesting and general agitatin'.

but I mean, given the editors history and what the paper is promoting, should it be at least warned to not carry statements by the C.I.R.A? I don't get how an illegal organisation in Ireland is allowed carry statements in newspapers edited by men charged with I.R.A membership before? Doesn't seem to make any sense.
*shrugs*

Once upon a time, and for many years, every media outlet in the land would attend to the latest statements by a certain Mr P O'Neill. Unless there's actual specific threats against identifiable individuals, or some sort of specified promised future illegal act that subsequently actually happens, I don't think the law can do much. Could be just the harmless ravings of fantasists....and judging by that picture...

former wesleyan

They probably didn't decommission all the photographs.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
muppets. they look like accountants on a paintball weekend.
Yeah, they are probably taking a break from totting up the profits from grow houses, diesel laundering and various racketeering ventures.

slippy wicket

They probably didn't decommission all the photographs.

Is that a GPMG. I'd love to see that numpty shoulder fire that.
Might knock a bit of cop on into him.

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
I've lost touch in recent times with the byzantine relationships between the fringe republican groups, but "Republican Sinn Fein" was always the name of Ruiari O'Bradaigh's crowd, who split from mainstream SF back in the mid-80s in protest against, IIRC, Adams' SF dropping the policy of abstention for local councils and Dail elections, and SF de facto recognising the legitimacy of the southern state (ssssh, don't tell the likes of johnny365 and The Herren, they've not got past 1972 yet). The armed wing of RSF is the "Continuity" IRA.

In 1997 there was another split from the Provos in protest at the ceasefires, the "Real" IRA and it's political wing the 32CSM. There were also (allegedly, according to how much of what appears in the newspapers you want to believe) a handful of tiny independent splinter groups, though most of these (again, allegedly) are mainly back within the RIRA fold now.

Course it doesn't help that every version of the IRA insists it is the One True IRA and just calls itself Oglaigh na hEireann, making it hard to tell them apart sometimes.

Then there's Eirigi who are seperate again and seem to be opposed to the GFA but peaceful with no armed wing as such, preferring to focus on more orthodox protesting and general agitatin'.

*shrugs*

Once upon a time, and for many years, every media outlet in the land would attend to the latest statements by a certain Mr P O'Neill. Unless there's actual specific threats against identifiable individuals, or some sort of specified promised future illegal act that subsequently actually happens, I don't think the law can do much. Could be just the harmless ravings of fantasists....and judging by that picture...
he armed wing of RSF is the "Continuity" IRA.
The C.I.R.A have stated that Republican Sinn Fein (the Dalton crowd) no longer have any say in the C.I.R.A.

There was no real need for any history lesson, as it wasn't needed at all. I am well aware of the origins of the C.I.R.A, R.I.R.A and especially éirígí which you mentioned for some reason. I touched on the differences between Real SF and Republican SF in the OP. Real Sinn Fein are now calling themselves Republican Sinn Fein as mentioned.

*shrugs*

That's all well and good, except that the C.I.R.A haven't gone away and are active. The last edition carried a statement from them where it said that families in Cork asked for their help to sort out drug dealers. I can't remember if it called for killing them, but it was hinting at it by my vague recollection.

It's one thing declaring your intention to act as a vanguard to take on the brits, but another thing to run around chasing people selling weed and cocaine which most young people in the country have experimented with or do on a regular night out and start shooting them or kneecapping them on behalf of a few family members who probably didn't do a good job raising their son or daughter. Or do the C.I.R.A blame the brits for teenagers in the south taking drugs?

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
Is that a GPMG. I'd love to see that numpty shoulder fire that.
Might knock a bit of cop on into him.
You seem to think they're a bunch of idiots. I doubt the Special Branch, P.S.N.I or MI5 share the same sentiments.

Eire1976

What Ireland needs now is a new Uninted Irish organisation along the lines of the united Irishmen, not another group that thinks it's going to outdo the British and Irish Governments.

You can only outdo governments by the power of the media and public support.

Con Gallagher

In May 1998, 2.1m Irish people voted against these people and their armed struggle and voted for the means of ending partition with a vote in both jurisdictions. They cannot ignore that vote even if they use weasel words to try in propaganda pieces. The fact that there were two votes on either side of the border it irrelevant (or about as relevant as stating that the 1918 election was contested in 105 constituencies). Providing the propaganda piece does incite violence or tries to recruit people, it probably can't be stopped. Therefore the question of whether it can permitted is not relevant (this is particularly so given the fact that it would merely continue underground and online)

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
The New York Times carries statements from Al Qaeda.
Readers Digest carried out one of the first interviews with Bin Laden.
The Guardian interviewed and carried statements of the New IRA a few months ago.
Whats the beef with singling out this one paper.
I'm not saying it should be banned or trying to single it out. But there is a gargantuan difference between the al-Qaeda and the I.R.A in this country. Only asking what people think.

Carrying statements from al-Qaeda is completely different. The New York Times is not promoting al-Qaeda. Saorise Nua is promoting a designated terrorist organisation with the editor previously charged with connections to the I.R.A.

Regarding the Guardian article, again, it's different reporting a story or being blindfolded, put into a van and driven an hour to a secret location for an interview than promoting the I.R.A, is it not?

Truth.ie

In May 1998, 2.1m Irish people voted against these people and their armed struggle and voted for the means of ending partition with a vote in both jurisdictions. They cannot ignore that vote even if they use weasel words to try in propaganda pieces. The fact that there were two votes on either side of the border it irrelevant (or about as relevant as stating that the 1918 election was contested in 105 constituencies). Providing the propaganda piece does incite violence or tries to recruit people, it probably can't be stopped. Therefore the question of whether it can permitted is not relevant (this is particularly so given the fact that it would merely continue underground and online)
Utter nonsense.
Are you suggesting the media during the 1922 Civil War should've stopped reporting on the Irregulars?
They went against public opinion as well. As did the men of 16.
Aremed struggle never had a mandate or mass support in Ireland.
Not even in the WOI.

Eire1976

Armed republicamism has no place in 2013.

If they are clever they will be building on the census result and making that Northern Irish figure turn into Irish and they won't be doing this by planting bombs.

Makes you wonder if they are secretly being guided by elements who work agianst the pan nationalist agenda

slippy wicket

You seem to think they're a bunch of idiots. I doubt the Special Branch, P.S.N.I or MI5 share the same sentiments.
So called 'useful idiots' is how I would term them.
Cannon fodder for a war that is long over.

ruserious

Fortunatly, there is only one real one.