Real Unemployment rate is over 15%

galteeman

Why does everyone believe that the Irish unemployment rate is just over 6%?
According to this interesting website the correct rate is over 15%.
Irish broad unemployment rate at 15% in April 2017 vs 6% official rate
The number on the Irish Live Register in April 2017 was 264,400 and there were 67,400 in government jobs schemes resulting in a total of 331,000 — as a ratio of the CSO's April 2017 estimate of the workforce size 2.194m, we get 15%.
In fairness to the govt. according to the same site they have got it down from over 25% when they started in office.

Dame_Enda

I have been saying this for years. They don't count those on job activation schemes as unemployed, even if they are not being paid for the work. When I did work experience I was paid nothing additional on top of my social welfare. Instead I was allowed to keep my existing disability allowance but they moved the day to later in the week and argued the s.w. was now payment for the work experience. its a cute trick on their part.

ger12

"In our Irish definition we add the numbers in government job schemes who are officially counted as employed but paid from public funds just as casual workers are included in the monthly Live Register as they receive unemployment-related welfare payments."

Interesting.

galteeman

I have been saying this for years. They don't count those on job activation schemes as unemployed, even if they are not being paid for the work. When I did work experience I was paid nothing additional on top of my social welfare. Instead I was allowed to keep my existing disability allowance but they moved the day to later in the week and argued the s.w. was now payment for the work experience. its a cute trick on their part.
I wonder if they include people on disibility benefits in the total workforce figure or the unemployed figure?
Who knows what the true number of welfare dependent persons in the working age population really is?

Wascurito

There's a large underclass across Europe who are under-employed or who have given up because they see no chance of getting gainful employment.

PBP voter

Lots of waster tradesmen can't sign on because it means tested after a while?
Their wives are the bread winners.

Wascurito

I wonder if they include people on disibility benefits in the total workforce figure or the unemployed figure?
Who knows what the true number of welfare dependent persons in the working age population really is?
What we could really do with is a figure of numbers of hours worked per capita** per week. That would be an interesting point of comparison between countries. A person working 15/20 hours per week is not fully employed - even if that might be their personal choice.

This 6% unemployment feels a lot more like the 10% of the late 90s.

**e.g. people in the 18-67 year old age range

gijoe

In fairness to the govt. according to the same site they have got it down from over 25% when they started in office.
The official unemployment rate comes from the QHS where the question asked is something along the lines of have you worked at least 2 days in the last 2 weeks. Of course people on schemes etc reply that they have and are thereby excluded from the official measure although its really a fiction. This JobPath thingy seems to be a churn factory for schemes.

an innocent abroad

Yet you support a pervert like trump who is doing terrible damage to the people who supported him by removing any employment rights they have while also removing regulations regarding their safety. Not to mention their loss of healthcare, pollution, consumer protections etc, at the same time filling the swamp.

he must make you feel right at home so.

Fritzbox

Who knows what the real level of unemployment is in Ireland or any other country in Europe, it's hard to gain an accurate figure. I'm not sure how important it is anyway - don't you have a job, don't all your friends and family have a job?

galteeman

Who knows what the real level of unemployment is in Ireland or any other country in Europe, it's hard to gain an accurate figure. I'm not sure how important it is anyway - don't you have a job, don't all your friends and family have a job?
Sorry I don't see the relevance of whether I have a job to this topic which is about the b.s. stats we are being fed by the govt.
They are hiding the true rate of dependency because they do not wish to confront it.

Fritzbox

Sorry I don't see the relevance of whether I have a job to this topic which is about the b.s. stats we are being fed by the govt.
They are hiding the true rate of dependency because they do not wish to confront it.
So what if they are, in your opinion, BS stats, who cares?
The statistics are obviously correct up to a point, it all depends on how you want to interpret them, I suppose.

Deputy Dog

Most countries take a fanciful view of their unemployment numbers. It helps their respective economies. Just look at the States - more than 40 million people qualify for food stamps. That's about 25-30% of the workforce over there. So roughly translated about 30% of the work force is in receipt of assistance or as we call it, a social welfare payment. That is frightening.

hiding behind a poster

If that website doesn't even know that not everyone on the Live Register is unemployed, or that the Live Register doesn't measure unemployment, or that the Live Register isn't what's used by the Government to calculate unemployment, then while it may be an interesting website, it's certainly not a worthwhile one.

hiding behind a poster

People on job activation schemes aren't available to take up work for the duration of said schemes, therefore no, they don't count as unemployed.

crossman

If that website doesn't even know that not everyone on the Live Register is unemployed, or that the Live Register doesn't measure unemployment, or that the Live Register isn't what's used by the Government to calculate unemployment, then while it may be an interesting website, it's certainly not a worthwhile one.
Exactly. The live register is not a measure of unemployment. For a start it includes part time workers.

D

Deleted member 17573

People on job activation schemes aren't available to take up work for the duration of said schemes, therefore no, they don't count as unemployed.
Is it not true that they are on activation schemes only because they are unemployed? Therefore omitting them from unemployment figures results in false unemployment figures.

hiding behind a poster

Is it not true that they are on activation schemes only because they are unemployed? Therefore omitting them from unemployment figures results in false unemployment figures.
As I said already, the Live Register does not measure unemployment.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies