• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

The Rahenyite

I have been saying this for years. They don't count those on job activation schemes as unemployed, even if they are not being paid for the work. When I did work experience I was paid nothing additional on top of my social welfare. Instead I was allowed to keep my existing disability allowance but they moved the day to later in the week and argued the s.w. was now payment for the work experience. its a cute trick on their part.
They don't count those either on Back To Education (essentially getting the dole to go to college) or those on flexi-dole receiving partial dole for working under 20 hours or 3 days.

Sweet Darling

Is there a standard system that all countries use to compile the unemployment figures.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Is there a standard system that all countries use to compile the unemployment figures.
its called the ILO rate of unemployment.

anyway, ireland rewards dossers and punishes those who strive to work hard.

gijoe

If you are going to contradict get your facts right burton brought in job bridge(free labour for business scheme) varadkar brought in job path an actual private company forcing people off the dole by any tricks they can come up with
No. Its you should get your facts right. Joan was Social Protection Minister from 2011-16 and the whole JobPath scheme was introduced into legislation in the 2013 Social Welfare Act.

gijoe

I have them all flummoxed because while I do have a job and get paid, I only pretend to be working. Take that, government statisticians.
I contacted your employer and he says that he only pretends to pay you!

Analyzer

GDP is a joke.

Yet every chancer from the greedy institutional liars in TASC, to Pascal the rascal, to David McWilliams to professsor Brian "Anglo Irish Bank is a great investment" Lucey are using it routinely.

It would not surprise me if unemployment statistics were also manipulated.

crossman

They don't count those either on Back To Education (essentially getting the dole to go to college) or those on flexi-dole receiving partial dole for working under 20 hours or 3 days.
Of course they don't. Those going to college are students. You can't simultaneously be a student and be unemployed or else you would have to add all students to the unemployment numbers. Similarly those working part time are employed so they can't be simultaneously unemployed. Just think about it for a minute before ranting about false numbers.

Florence

People on job activation schemes aren't available to take up work for the duration of said schemes, therefore no, they don't count as unemployed.
they can leave the schemes at anytime if they get a job; the whole point of the schemes is to give them experience in order to get a job. They should be included in the unemployment figures; however the total unemployment figures should be analysed as no work at all/on schemes/working less than full hours and getting a top up/self employed getting some support due to low income.

It is possible for the self employed on low incomes to get some limited help though obviously it is means tested taking into account the wife/partners income.

Ex celt

The figures do not take into account those who live and work in England because the country cannot support them other than sending parcels of rashers,butter and tayto to get around the rationing in England.

wombat

I guess statistics are what you want them to mean and if they don't suit your prejudice, they must be wrong.

General Urko

It really underpins how hugely significant The SW system is as a safety net and protection device for our scumbag treacherous political class!
As we are midway between bailouts at the mo, I reckon next time out the welfare state will be raped inside out and then we will have blood on the streets!

General Urko

I know people in their 50s and 60s who have never done a formal day's work in their lives, I mean one in which they have paid tax on their labour, despite being able to.
Some have never even done a nixer!
Welcome to The west of Ireland!

niall78

I know people in their 50s and 60s who have never done a formal day's work in their lives, I mean one in which they have paid tax on their labour, despite being able to.
Some have never even done a nixer!
Welcome to The west of Ireland!
What? Working in the black economy?

Then they probably wonder why the limit tax take isn't being spent at their crossroads.

mr_anderson

It really underpins how hugely significant The SW system is as a safety net and protection device for our scumbag treacherous political class!
As we are midway between bailouts at the mo, I reckon next time out the welfare state will be raped inside out and then we will have blood on the streets!
Unfortunately, for too many it's not a safety net.
It's a standard of living & a way of life.

There has to be a limit put on the amounts you can receive on SW.
Under no circumstance should you be better off on SW than working.
Or even equivalent.

HAP is now giving €1,875 per month for accommodation.
That's €22,500 after tax.
For a higher-rate tax payer, that's €45,000 gross.
And that's just for rent !

The SW giveaway is bonkers.

General Urko

What? Working in the black economy?

Then they probably wonder why the limit tax take isn't being spent at their crossroads.
I actually mean that these folk have never ever worked in any real sense, despite being able to, some of them may have worked 'in the black' doing a labouring task for a day or two for €20 or less!

General Urko

Last edited:
Last edited:
Unfortunately, for too many it's not a safety net.
It's a standard of living & a way of life.

There has to be a limit put on the amounts you can receive on SW.
Under no circumstance should you be better off on SW than working.
Or even equivalent.

HAP is now giving €1,875 per month for accommodation.
That's €22,500 after tax.
For a higher-rate tax payer, that's €45,000 gross.
And that's just for rent !

The SW giveaway is bonkers.
There are absurdities within the system for sure, encouraging AHs to breed for more and more SW money (no extra childrens' allowance from the 4th sprog onwards, unless you work, is one part solution).
However, it needs to be considered that the vast majority of employers in the BMW Region are shytebags to the last, using and abusing workers to the very last. Therefore, having a diabolically bad SW system would be just enabling slavery!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom